“Not the best experience”

Residence Inn Killeen
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Killeen
Reviewed June 17, 2012

When my husband and I tried to check into our room, the front desk employee (Debbie) told us that the room we were supposed to get was being aired out because the previous customers heavily smoked in the room even though it's a smoke free hotel. I'm very sensitive to smoke so this concerned me. She apologized profusely for this mishap. She gave us our key so we could check out the room. When we arrived at the room, the door was wide open because they were trying to air it out. We stepped foot in the room and it was unbearable. It stunk to high heaven even though they had "thoroughly" cleaned it. It's not the hotel's fault that the previous customers broke the rules and smoked in the room. There was just no way I could sleep in that room. We went back to the front desk and told Debbie our concerns. Unfortunately there wasn't another room to put us in. We needed to go somewhere so she let us keep our luggage with her so that the smoke in the room wouldn't stink up our belongings. We left for a few hours praying that when we returned, the room would be good to go. When we arrived back at the hotel, Debbie was very sweet and accomodating. She was able to get us another room because she was concerned with my smoke sensitivity. She also called and left a message with the news. I will say that Debbie had excellent customer service skills and made every effort to make us happy which was greatly appreciated. There needs to be more front desk clerks like Debbie! When we got to our new room, it didn't smell like smoke thank goodness but it had a very strong "ethnic" odor to it. My husband said he would've rather stayed in the smoky room but I couldn't take it. I told him to suck it up and it would only be for three nights. The room overall was clean and comfortable. The air conditioner was quite loud. There was a couch in the room and the cushions were stained. My husband tried to flip the cushions over but the other sides were just as bad. This wasn't very comforting, needless to say we didn't sit on the couch. There was a kitchenette with a large refrigerator, dishwasher, dishes, flatware, pots/pans, etc. which is very helpful if you're staying for a long period of time and want to buy groceries and make meals in the room. Maybe this is why there was such a strong "ethnic" odor??? The cleaning staff was very friendly. Ultimately, we ended up checking out a day early and staying at a motel in Austin. This motel, which I also reviewed, was cheaper, cleaner and more comfortable than this room. Unfortunately we won't be staying at this hotel when we return to Killeen.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mplanier

Reviewed February 25, 2012

We have stayed in a Residence Inn by Marriott before so this one did not let us down. Room clean and fridge pumpled out lots of Ice that I need to ice a surgery area. Bed comfortable and area well stocked. People pleasant and friendly and helpfull. Staff smiling and saying Hello, and could they help us. Great experience and would stay again, we were only there one night for a function but would stay and recommend it.

Room Tip: we were on second floor on the back side so was not noisey and easy parking, elevator right by the d...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank skylanders
Reviewed February 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed overnight on Feb 4th. We met my Son, who was in Killeen on business, and picked up our Grandson. Our room was very clean but there was a couple of things that could have been better. They don't have ice machines because they say they have refrigerator/freezers in each room. However, our's (and Son's) were not turned on so no ice. Our tv remote was broken. Needed to get up to turn volumn and channel. Shower curtain was hanging on 2 hooks, mostly just draped down in the shower. I would think that housecleaning would have noticed this? To be fair, I reported shower curtains and remote the next morning, not that night, just so they could be fixed before someone else checked in. Front desk was friendly, helpful. Breakfast was good and coffee was delicious.

Room Tip: WiFi needs improvement!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank carlang
Reviewed February 5, 2012

The breakfast here is pretty good. More variety than other places I've been. The room was nice, everything worked well and was clean except for the toilet. It wasnt filthy, but it could have been cleaner. But I had the same problems with "Mimi" as a previous person stated - she acts as though you're an inconvenience and is rather rude. The other staff I encountered were very friendly. The wi-fi in my room was pretty bad in the evening.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Spoonwood214
Reviewed December 28, 2011

From the outside and the lobby, the hotel is definitely new (or newly remodeled). The room was very nice with stainless appliances and a separate bedroom... however I was sadly disappointed when I sat on the bed, as it is NOT the typical Marriott comfort that I am used to! Having stayed almost 40 nights in Marriotts in 2011, I was expecting the usual pillow top comfort I have come to love (and one of my reasons for continuing to stay at Marriotts) but the bed at this hotel was hard as a rock leaving me waking up the next morning with a sore back. To top it off, when I checked in at the front desk, I was initially greeted with a Merry Christmas (as I checked in on Christmas day) but her mood quickly turned sour and she became very snappy. Not your typical Marriott...

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stephanie t
Reviewed December 16, 2011

As indicated, this was my second stay at the Marriott Residence Inn, Killeen, TX. Obviously, the first stay was good enough. My second stay was a month long, but broken into 2, 2 week stays. I stayed the 2 weeks prior to Thanksgiving and 2 weeks following Thanksgiving 2011.

I primarily stayed here because of the positive things on my first stay...clean, up dated, good location.

I write a second review to address the negatives I had in my first. I was a bit surprised to see "Mimi" still there....I had an issue with her service on my first stay. However, I will say that after my first stay, I wrote a review indicating my concerns and I was promptly contacted by management. I was compensated for my concerns and I was pleasantly surprised about the response. I wasn't looking for anything...but the response was good, showing that they at least care. I had no problems with Mimi on this second stay. Staff was responsive and always polite and helpful when I needed something.

The room is clean, the cleaning staff was responsive and did a great job. The breakfast was always good with a fair choice of food from basic to healthy.

I am still surprised that they offer an "evening reception" meal. It's only Monday through Thursday, but on most nights it can serve as a light dinner. If you're hungry and want a full meal, this isn't it....but it is an excellent benefit and I took advantage of it several nights.

Here's the bad....the wireless internet connection is awful! Obviously this wasn't enough to keep me away...but it's quite a hassle. The staff knows this....when you check in, tell them you need wifi and they know which areas are good and bad for it. On my second 2 week stay I asked and they accommodated me. But even with that....it was spotty. They should really correct this problem, I can not imagine it being hard to fix this day and age.

Overall I would stay here again and I have actually recommended it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with good wireless internet if you need it!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Dallas37
Reviewed October 11, 2011

The front end personnel are not interested in taking care of their customers. I really do not like to criticize people who have to deal with the general public on a daily basis, but the service at this hotel comes up lacking. The rooms are nice enough. I am in a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchenette. But the true value of most hotels is in how they treat their guests and this one is a black mark in the Marriott chain. As long as you just keep to yourself and don't ask for any assistance from the staff, you should be okay during your stay.

Room Tip: The rooms are fine, it's the staff that isn't.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business