“Unique Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Killeen
Stephenville, Texas
“Unique Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

Recently traveled to Killeen on business and was booked here by our department. The location of the hotel is somewhat unique, its set back from the roadway sandwhiched between two other hotels. Most of the parking is in the back, but there is only one door in the back.

The hotel appeared to be very new or recently remodeled in the new "trendy" style that Holiday Inn is going to. You think its a Holiday Inn Express, but its actually a regular Holiday Inn with a restaurant and a bar. Bar is good, restaurant is bad because there is no free breakfast like at HIE. (McDonalds 1/2 mile down the street.) It appears that a lot of military people stay there, lots of army uniforms. Access is to Fort Hood is easy.

However the most intesesting facet of this hotel was the room I stayed in. The hotel is four stories tall and I was assigned to a fourth floor handicap accessable room. It is the most unique room I've ever stayed in. First off the it had at least 25 foot ceilings. (See attached pics.) It was also twice as wide as a normal hotel room but contained the same amount of furniture. It was a huge open space. The bathroom was huge as well. I suspect most of the reason was the handicap accessable fact, lots of room to move around in a wheel chair. I get that. But 25 food ceilings? They had artwork above the windows. Look the picture. I'm 6'2" and I cannot touch the top molding of the window, then picture how much more there is above that. There was a huge amount of empty floorspace and it made everything else, king size bed included, look small. Plus it echoed.

Bed was good, they had labels on their pillows "firm" and "soft", though I couldn't tell a difference between the two. The desk was made of opaque glass which means that your optical/laser mouse won't work on it so you have to find something to put under it. Nice big LCD TV but since my room was twice as wide it was too far away. I also liked the fact that I had two heater/ac units with side by side wall thermostats, that showed different tempatures.

Overall it was an ok hotel, not really a full service HI like you'd see at a downtown hotel, but it wasn't really an Express like you'd expect to see in this location.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Wilson, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Fort Hood Hotel on Nov 12th of this year. I had inquired earlier about complimentary airport transportation, and the front desk told me that was available. On arrival, I called the hotel, and was told a van had been sent. Two calls later, and approaching one hour standing on the curb, I engaged a cab to take me to hotel. The hotel manager, has offered many apologies, but apologies do not get my $25 refunded. Now they refuse to further answer my queries, and I have been ignored, hoping I will go away. My son in law was a Fort Hood Army officer, and I have told him, not to let any of his soldiers parents stay at this hotel.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank hiflyer0317
Central, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2009

I couldn't afford a weekend getaway at a hotel resort in Dubai - of course not - naturally. So I had to search for hotel within my own specified radius (AND spending range) that would allow me to get as close to Dubai as I possibly could. And this 3 star hotel was the best this specific area could offer... Overall I was totally satisfied with my time spent at the Holiday Inn. No complaints. The bathroom layout is AWESoME. Just wish they'd hang curtains in the room's window to block an outside view..

Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
apari002
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

Beautiful hotel compared to the town surroundings. Fix yer cable and make the curtains on the windows close. For chrissakes, I cannot sleep off a hangover with your non-existant curtains.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank apari002
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2009

Nice newer upscale Holiday Inn. This level used to be called 'Select' and is one step below 'Crowne Plaza.' Spacious lobby with restaurant and bar. Rooms are large and comfortable with upscale bedding. Flat LCD television. All in all, a great hotel and my favorite spot in Killeen.

Note: this is NOT the Holiday Inn Express, which is about a mile east. That place should be condemned. I checked out of the Express a day early and moved to this property.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
dnkmll
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2009

I stayed at this hotel on business, and was very shocked when i came into the hotel noticing the new style that this brand has came out with. I have stayed with many Holiday Inns throughout my travels and am also a priority club member. I had to ask the lady Carol at the front desk to make sure i got my points since i wasn't even asked. This person was also on their cell phone when i walked in, which i have tended to see more more of everywhere i go and believe it to be very unprofessional. There did not seem to be much friendliness in the brief conversation we had. I did love the room but the air conditioner was a bit noisy. I did have to search all over for the toilet paper, they definitely need to make it more noticable where it is located. I decided to have dinner with some colleagues and was not at all impressed with the dining. The food was not at all up to par, and the service was even less. More or less we only ate there that one night and went elsewhere. Traveling as much as I do, I look to feel comfort in the hotel environment, but this was not felt in any part of the hotel. It was a bit cold. Upon checkout there was somewhere different at the counter, and I told her about my experience i had at dinner a few nights earlier. She said that the hotel went through changes in management and the dining area did not have a manager yet, and then apologized for my bad experience. Now i don't know if i would present a guest with that type of information, but everywhere is different. For what i paid, I will not be too excited to return, the hotel is nice and new, but that is all it has to offer. For the price they need to come up with something more.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank dnkmll
Boise
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2009

3.5 stars for a Holiday Inn modeled after the boutique style, relatively new hotel and still pretty fresh. Good bed. Good shower. Good internet signal. I stayed on the first floor not too far from the bar/restaurant. Kind of noisy until 9 ish on a Tuesday. I'd ask for a higher floor. Mostly military related clientele from the looks of it and location close to the base. The room I was in was starting to show some wear, scratched appliances, ratty on the arm edges lounge chair, not so clean, 1 of 2 bathroom lights burnt out. Although my experience was pretty good, I'd stay somewhere else next time just to change it up.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)