“Would NOT recommend staying here.”

Candlewood Suites Killeen - Fort Hood Area
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Killeen
Savannah, Georgia
“Would NOT recommend staying here.”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The gym equipment was broken, and stayed out of order the whole time I was there. The furniture was very worn with stains, tears and holes in it. There was actually a hole busted in the closet door and did they bother replacing it? No, they just made an ugly wood-filler patch about the size of a soccer ball and sanded over it. Too cheap to just replace the door, gym cables and furniture? Come on! There were also gashes and holes in the wall with no attempts to repair them. Water pressure in the shower was annoyingly slow. There was unannounced maintenance going on outside with men working in a hydraulic lift. For four hours we heard an annoying "beeeeep, beeeeep, beeeeeep..... (the very loud sound that a bulldozer makes when in reverse). It was so annoying that we had to leave. The Candlewood is NOT noise proof at all. The walls and floors are hollow and seem to be made of cardboard. You can hear every conversation, footstep, TV show, alarm clock of everyone above and around you. You can especially hear outside noise. After calling the front desk on 8/21/2012 at 2pm and complaining about the unannounced construction noise, the employee had the nerve to try to pretend it didn't exist at first, then actually told me "Well if the noise isn't gone in let's say... five minutes, then you are more than welcome to open your window and make a complaint directly to the maintenance workers outside". WOW. The noise never stopped. It lasted from 1pm to 6pm, annoying everyone in the front of the building. The free laundry is just not worth the annoyances and state of disrepair of this hotel. I frequently stay here on travel to Fort Hood, but will never bring myself or my family here again. There are plenty of other places to stay in Killeen.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. But if you absolutely have to stay here, call ahead to make sure everything is...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bradleybaldwin1
Candlewood_Suites_TX, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Killeen - Fort Hood Area, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I am so sorry that you had so many problems with your stay. I assure you that we take our guests' comfort very seriously. We have recently changed our management and are in the process of implementing many refurbishments, guest programs, and staff training programs. The next time you visit with us-you will be amazed at the difference!
I am very concerned about your stay and would like to speak with you personally to see how we may be able to earn your loyalty back. Please call me at 254-501-3990 so that I may better understand how to help you.
Dorene Burlew
New General Manager of the Candlewood Suites Killeen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
columbia
Reviewed August 30, 2012

No Breakfast, weak coffee too. We tried check in and the computer was down so we couldn't check in until they solved that issue...really! There isn't much close by unless you wanna eat at the holiday inn every evening. Not a #9 hotel as listed, no way.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank superflytnt1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Killeen - Fort Hood Area, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear superflytnt1,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. We are sincerely sorry for the issues you had with the breakfast, check-in and the location of our property. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Harker Heights, Texas, United States
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Candlewood suites is a wonderful place to stay the staff was exelent while a female staff member mindy shined very well, and alex also a staff member was fun and exciting I especially liked the free breakfast on wednesday and my room was very clean and organized, The hotel also allows you to bring your pets insted of leaving them behind, and i loved the free laundry and the free movies. I loved the verity of pantry items, our month stay here was very graet i hope to come back in the future. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel

Room Tip: They are great at satisfiying your request so just ask.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2011

i have stayed at the candlewood suites in killeen severly times in the past year and this past labor day weekend was the worst. They have had a complete change in staff and not for the better. The room was not very clean when i checked in i ended up cleaning it myself internet slow or it didnt work at all and hbo didnt work when i compained to the front desk thry acted like they couldnt be bothered. Will find some place esle to stay on next visit.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank armywife71
Bridgeton, New Jersey
Reviewed September 8, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at candlewood suites on florence road in Killeen, Texas twice this summer. I was so impressed with the politeness of the staff ( Matthew, Cindy, & Mary) that I returned 2 weeks later to the same location. My check- in was flawless and they shared their experience and knowledge of the area eagerly. It was my first time staying in Texas and their kindness and honesty about the area has really influenced me to make Texas my home in the next year. The suite was clean ( thank you Frenchie !) and housekeeping kept the common areas spotless as well. I have stayed at 5 star resorts around the world and this hotel was just as nice. I will definitely return to this location during my upcoming house hunting trips. It's one thing to have the amenities you need and a bonus when those amenities come with polite and positively charged individuals who are eager to make you feel comfortable. I returned with my kids and they were equally satisfied. That says a lot since they are teenagers, 13 & 17 with no complaints. They didn't have a pool however, 40 seconds across the parking lot to the sister Holiday Inn was not an issue. My son enjoyed the modern gym equipment and even did the laundry in the accompanying laundry room, which was free!! Plenty of movies (free) at the front desk and no need to make a midnight run for snacks because there was a cupboard available with everything from oatmeal for breakfast to candybars. We didn't use the cupboard but it was nice to have available. I loved having my own kitchen fully stocked with dishes and everything to fix a meal. Had the feel of a resort studio.

Room Tip: sign up for priority club.com and earn a discount, points for free stays or airline miles.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SouthJerseygirl4life
Gurnee, Illinois
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I found the Killeen Candlewood Suites a pleasure to stay at. The staff was so friendly and very helpful when I asked for recommendations on various topics. We had a cat with us and that was one reason I checked them out. Very nice to have a full fridge, toaster, dishes, stovetop, & microwave. Perfect, basic accomodations. I was so relieved to find such a comfortable place to stay.

Initially stayed at LaQuinta Killeen----don't go there. Filthy!!

Room Tip: Candlewood guests are welcome to use Holiday Inn pool and other amenities.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Janet B
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 2, 2011

I was in Killeen for business and I am writing this at day 25. I think I have a solid grasp on this hotel. Overall, this place is perfect for a simple business trip. I think the review that indicated that this hotel needs renovation "badly" is off mark. The only real upgrade I would like to see is flat screen TV in the rooms. Other than that, the decor is simple, but modern, free wi fi throughout hotel and rooms, two phone lines in the room, wall mounted a/c control, DVD player in room. I will say that this hotel doesn't have all the "frills" of some hotels (no breakfast, no pool).

The hotel common areas are clean and kept up. I was impressed with the gym...the equipment is new and I liked seeing a weight machine. The hotel offers use of washers and dryers FREE.

The hotel is easily located, once you know where it is. It is hidden behind three other hotels, but you can easily reach it from the main highway through Killeen, but it is far enough off of the highway that you don't get the road noise. The hotel is probably the smallest of the five that are next door. It is the only one that does not have a pool...but if you are a Priority Club member...simply be nice and ask, and you can walk across to the Holiday Inn and use their pool (the two share staff as well).

I had no actual complaints or problems in 25 days at this hotel and would stay again, especially if you consider the value. While I was not paying for it....it is nice to know you can get such value.

I have only a couple minor issues. This is an Extended Stay hotel...so they don't offer daily housekeeping service (it's every 7 days). I actually am ok with that...I would rather not be bothered every single day with someone cleaning up after me. But I would like to see maybe once every 4 or 5 days....especially a change of the towels. They give you three sets of towels...but I can't imagine having more than one person. You can change out towels...but you must carry your used ones to the front desk....the whole process could be upgraded just a bit.

The only other concern I have is the a/c unit. It is LOUD. I didn't notice it the first couple days...but then I realized...when the a/c kicks on you actually have to turn the TV way up.....not sure there is much they can do about it (it works great!) but it is loud.

The bed was comfortable, the room clean, and staff friendly. I would question anyone who has a real issue here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business