“Stay somewhere else”

Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Killeen
Pekin, Illinois
“Stay somewhere else”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I have had bad stays at Days Inns before, but this is the absolute worst ever, First off, there are crickets EVERYWHERE! I understand they are all over the area, but when I find them on my BED, that's unacceptable! I literally had to put a towel across the bottom of the front door so no bugs could get in. There was still a gap, but I did what I could. If I had my way, we'd be out of here. Yes, I am typing this in the room at this very moment! The ice machine was out of order, on a 106 degree day. Sheets on my bed were not clean. This place is a dump! Don't bother staying here, unless you don't care about bugs, dirty sheets, cobwebs, and who knows what. I'm afraid to look under the bedspread!! Can't wait to get out of here! Also, the lady at the front desk was very rude! The internet service was horrible. Never again!! Beware!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Rogersville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I had come to Killeen to be with my daughter and son-in-law for the birth of their first child. I stayed with them for the first 5 days of my visit, then went to this Days Inn for the remainder of my time there. It was close enough to their apartment that I did not feel too 'out of the way'. I stayed at this hotel for 8 days/nights, and was simply amazed at how well-kept my room always stayed. Check in, and out, was easy, and the lady at the front desk was so nice and very helpful. I had requested a first floor room, *if possible*, but was given a second floor room and when asked about it, she very kindly explained why. (the troops in and out situation mentioned below, and it was all they had). Once it was explained, it was fine and I managed OK.
I don't smoke, but had to deal with a smoking room, due to lack of rooms, anywhere in the city (it is a Military town, so troops were going out, others coming in..rooms were at a premium). They did not mind that I brought some Fabreze in, and burnt a candle and some incense to help cover the smell of stale cigarette smoke (NOT their fault!!). The lady who cleaned my room was simply amazing. I never had to ask for extra towels or wash clothes, and, even though I always pulled the covers up on my bed, she always made sure it was finished and looked inviting when I'd come back in every evening.
Since I was there for more than the typical hotel stay time-frame, it was very nice to have the fridge, microwave and coffee pot available, as well as a free HOT breakfast every morning if I wanted it. Everyone was so personable and friendly, that it amazed me! I quickly learned that true Texans are extremely friendly folks, and it was shown every day, all day with the staff at this Days Inn. I could not have had a better experience.
The bathroom was spotless, the room was very clean and comfortable and quiet! I got no outside road noise from the CenTex Expressway (aka Hwy 190), which was right in front of the hotel. With all white linens, and white comforters, I naturally looked for problem areas (stains, etc.) but found none!
I was close to the Killeen Mall (across the road) a Wal*Mart, Hobby Lobby, a book store, grocery store (HEB), and so much other shopping, that I never had to go far to find some store to poke around in. There were also a lot of restaurants close by, both sit-down and fast food, so finding a meal was extremely easy as well. I simply can not say enough good about this hotel. I would stay here again if I find the need to be in Killeen again, and would definitely reccommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BWilder13
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed here for two weeks. The front desk was quick with check in and out. There was someone there everytime I needed something g. Every morning breakfast was served on time or earlier. The lobby had a nice LCD TV to watch the news while you ate.

My room was on the 2nd floor and a nice size for a single room. No funky smells or bugs and was clean. Cable and wifi worked great the entire stay. Never heard noises through the walls either. A/C worked great.

Location is great too. Walmart is a short walk away as well as many restaurants.

For the price I would stay here again, but only if my choices or budget was limited.

Overall it is an average hotel. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank DANEM86
Marlow, OK
Reviewed December 16, 2011

I will let my travel agency know that I won't stay here again unless they make major improvements. Between the cold wind blasting in from the door frame, the faulty internet service, the broken box spring on my bed, and the flashing "strobe" light out on the walk way, this hotel can't even say they'll leave the light on for you. Luckily I discovered that the door lock didn't work before a thief found out for me.
My door leaked air that felt like a jet stream. I had to remind them that I asked for it to be fixed while I was out all day, but that didn't happen the first time. When I asked the front desk how come, the answer from that clerk was that I didn't tell her since she wasn't there the night I left the message. When the maintenance man showed up, he didn't have tools available until I told him what he should go back and get. After a promise to fix it the next day, I waited for two days before finding out why it wasn't fixed: they didn't even follow-up with me to let me know that they couldn't fix it. Extra towels on the floor by the door eased the cold there, but did little for around the sides of the door.
On a high note, the maid service was efficient. I really enjoyed the hospitality and care shown by the maid service. They would offer extra coffee, and stayed later than normal if needed when I wanted to sleep late on the weekend. They even put fresh linen on the beds when they knew I had a guest coming for my last weekend here. Too bad the rest of the hotel staff doesn't understand they are in the hospitality business. I hope the maid service finds a higher class place to work.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tex_MarlowOK
Oakdale, Louisiana
Reviewed June 19, 2011

First of all the family was looking forward to having a pool and they said they had one, but they don't, so the children were upset. That was the first let down. We got to the room, which was non-smoking and it smelled horrible. This town must have lots of partiers and they must stay here! The sink was stopped up. The room was suppose to have and ironing board, but we had to call and get one. When we called for something the people were very rude. Make sure you go eat breakfast somewhere else. The continental breakfast is a waste of their time. It's horrible! Find you somewhere else to stay!!!!!!!

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Lake Luzerne, New York
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Extra Clean, great breakfast, friendly personal. Room was large with great WiFi. Towels extra large & very soft. Bed very comfortable. Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights while visiting family and would definity stay again. Close to many restaurants and stores. Can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 17, 2011

If you are looking for an excellent price and a clean, well thought out room, then this place is for you. The first thing I liked as soon as we walked into the room, was that there were no bedspreads. Just pretty white sheets with a thin blue coverlet. I am sure that those big bulky bedspreads are rarely (if ever) laundered, so this was a giant plus to me. Also on each bed were four pillows, two that were very soft and fluffy and two firm. Perfect! The room was spotless and had everything I needed: Blow dryer, ironing board and iron, microwave, a smaill refrigerator with a nice little freezer and a coffee pot.. There was a safety handle in the bathtub and lots of hot water. Oh yeah, the bed was very comfortable, too! Breakfast was much better than I expected, bacon, cheese omlet, biscuits and gravy, all kinds of muffins and bagels, orange and apple juice plus fresh fruit, oatmeal and cereal. If you need more than that, then go ahead and pay $100+ a night. I was perfectly satisfied. I stand behind this review. My name is Carole Van Den Hazenkamp and I'm from Harrisburg, Pa.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business