“Amazing!”

Shilo Restaurant Killeen
Ranked #1 of 242 Restaurants in Killeen
Cuisines: American, Bar, Grill
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Shilo Restaurant, Full Bar and Killeen's only Cigar Bar serving a variety of Texas favorites along with a wide-ranging selection of classic American dishes your whole family will enjoy. Kids Menu and Catering available.
“Amazing!”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The staff was very friendly and well mannered. The wine list was extensive! Their food was absolutely delectable! It was hot, fresh, and well-plated. Oh, and the atmosphere was beautiful.

• Visited May 2013

Houston, TX
“Go somewhere else”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Went to the Mark while staying at the attached Shiloh Inn. Arrived at about 8:30 (restaurant portion closes at 9:30). Hostess came out to greet us, seemed to be on a different planet. Finally conveyed the idea there were two of us for dinner. She asked if we wanted a table or booth, responded our table choice, and she promptly took us directly to a booth. When we picked our table she offered menus and I asked for the wine list, she said all the wines were listed on the menu, which is not the case. They have a more extensive wine list. Good news, that was the last we saw of her. There was only one other table occupied in the entire restaurant, which told me about all I needed to know. The bartender, Tim, brought our wine and he was the only bright star to be seen in this establishment. Fearing the worst, we went as simple as possible and ordered the catfish & chips (fries), which was passable if you ignored the slaw, which left much to br desired. By this time another couple has ventured in and sat at a nearby table, she returned her soup as inedible, and they were informed that the kichen was out of pizza dough (one of their featured items on the menu). So hats off to Tim for being the sole shinning star in this place.

• Visited August 2013
Baytown, Texas, United States
“Go somewhere else”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

It was very hot. We were the only two customers and the workers kept yelling from the kitchen to the dinning room. I ordered a caesar catfish salad, but didn't like it. My husband ordered the prime rib and said it was ok. We had wine, but it was super warm. I was so hot, I couldn't wait to leave. Now we have to find some dinner. Did I mention it was hot?

• Visited June 2013
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Restaurant Killeen, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear havehornwiltravel,

Our sincerest apologies. With onset of summer and extreme it’s temperatures, we unfortunately have experienced some air conditioning issues that are being addressed. I have also spoken to all our employees about remembering this is an open kitchen and the importance of keeping the guest in mind through minimal and quiet communication.

I would very much like to treat you and yours to a nice dinner on us. I would love to personally take care of you, giving us the opportunity to show you our true colors! Please contact me here at the restaurant or via email at william.browning@shiloinns.com. I look forward to meeting you soon and hope to have the opportunity to turn your less than stellar experience into a positive one.

William Browning
Floral Park, New York
“My Stay in Killen, TX”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had dinner here while staying at the Shilo Inn and also Brunch on Sunday with the family. The service was excellent and food was good!

Visited May 2013
Central Florida
“Wish I had something more positive to say...”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

...other than "the beer was good and cold".
Okay, I'll also add that the atmosphere is very pleasant, and the place is exceptionally clean. Which is not only nice, but important.

Unfortunately, I can't see myself eating here if I ever find myself in Killeen again.

First impression: super slow service, from being greeted/seated, to being waited on, to being served, and finally to paying the bill. I was one of a small handful of customers, so traffic wasn't the issue. Interestingly, they have free Wi-Fi, but guess what? It is even s..l...o....w.....e......r than the service! Yikes, I thought it would help kill the time waiting, but it was more like a slow torture of my patience!

And now for my food description: "eh".
At the end of the meal, I felt lucky that I only stopped in for a small bite. The Catfish Bites sounded perfect for my early-evening snack; I love catfish, and nugget-size portions would be ideal. But these were under-cooked and almost tasteless, even for catfish. Good idea, just unimpressively executed.
To accompany the catfish I ordered the daily soup choice - Tomato Basil Cream. Admittedly, I'm not usually a huge tomato soup aficionado, and this example did nothing to improve my appreciation. A respectable 'dash' of red pepper is probably the most noticeable ingredient. I'm sure it was meant to enhance the flavor, but it simply overpowered any other flavors, actually completely masking the basil.

Otherwise, the menu has a much, much bigger selection to choose from, and the options legitimately look appealing. Reading the other revues, I'll give the benefit of the doubt that maybe the results of some of the other main courses are better. But I eat in a LOT of restaurants each month, and by springtime I suspect that I won't remember this one. "Not bad; just not too great." Try to eat during happy hour (ends at 7PM); their full prices are too high for the quality, and if I didn't eat at the discount prices, my comments would have been much less complimentary.

As a footnote, I ate in the bar area (where they offer the reduced happy-hour prices); the main restaurant area seemed like an equally pleasant and inviting environment.

• Visited February 2013
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Restaurant Killeen, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Aleeejo,

Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences here on Trip Advisor. Although we do everything we can to make the best dining experience possible, we sometimes fall short and we need to know where we can improve. All of your points have been noted to our local management and our corporate office. We are also reviewing our food specs to ensure we are following them as prescribed.

As you noted, our atmosphere is the nicest in the area and we have much more to offer than all other restaurants in the area. I hope that when you are in the Killeen area again, you stop by and give us another try and let us know how we are doing.

William Browning,