“Enjoyed the visit”

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Enjoyed the visit”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Was in Kilgore for a week on business and would have loved to visit more, but did what I could considering we didnt get out until 5 or 5:30 each day. Ate a Char-Burger Stock-Ade one day after reading good reviews about it, and was not disapointed. They were promoting a new in-house salad dressing and I ordered a burger and a salad instead of fries - with the new dressing. Loved it. Service there was friendly.
I had read about the oil derricks and the oil boom but was still astounded to see the large derricks looming over the downtown area. I got out, walked around, read some plaques. Very nice Kilgore. I understand that the derricks are all lit up during the Christmas time. I would love to go back & see that. I shot lots of pictures of the derricks over the buildings and then went back at night and shot some more pics with the tops lit up.
I saw lots of stores and would have loved to shop some but time was an issue since most were closed when we'd get free in the evenings.
Beautiful little downtown. Kilgore should be proud of themselves for preserving their heritage as well.

Visited February 2013

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Stores Closed”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We were there on a Sunday and all the stores were closed, so we only drove down the street. Would have been a nice way to stretch the legs.

Visited December 2012
Longview, Texas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Oil Capital of the World”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I grew up in Kilgore. I still have contact everyday with my family there. Make sure to visit "World's Richest Acre"! Believe it or not, I used to park right there to walk to my job at Christmas when I was in high school. It's downtown. Other than adding protruding street corners, it still looks the same. My generation(not telling age) has worked very hard to restore the derricks that were torn down. I grew up loving to see the stars on top of the derricks light up at Christmas time. Also, the tracks and depot are interesting. Make sure to grab a burger at The Char-Burger Stock-Ade....awesome! Grab a free bowl of pinto beans, some onion and cornbread sticks while you wait for you burger. Best in downtown, and town. Let Johnny, the owner who is cooking, how good it is before you leave.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank retiredandlivinglife
Longview, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Nice day out...”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Small town feel, homey, little shops, good eats, and southern hospitality...that's what you will find here. Great for just hanging out with friends...also recommend taking out of town guests...surprising little treat..

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Wendy S
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I was raised in this town back in the 50's at it's peak. Downtown was busy, parking meters, traffic cop, every store full and busy.

When I came back in the 80's & 90's the downtown area was almost dead. Empty store fronts, almost a ghost town.

I was amazed the last time I saw the downtown area. It is busy again. There are restraunts, businesses, etc in practically every store front. They even have a nightclub and condos.

It has been an amazing recovery. Way to go Kilgore.

Visited May 2012

Been to Downtown Kilgore Texas? Share your experiences!