“Exceptional for the money”

Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Kerrville
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Exceptional for the money”
Reviewed August 27, 2010

I love this place and try to stay here once a year. The rooms are set up country western style with pine cabinets, oak beds wide screen tv and granite counters int he bathrooms. They were clean, fresh, with an excellent bed. The swimming pool is realy large and clean. The restaurant is priced reasonable for the exceptional food. But best of all, the service is way above average and all the staff are very personal, friendly and helpful. The is also a very private pool in the back of the property that overlooks the river and connected to almost a gourment restaurent that also looks out over the river. However, most people don't know about this pool so it is very private. So you can enjoy a very inexpensive room, pool and food with your family, or walk to the back of the property and enjoy superb food and a private pool for a romantic evening. The best of both worlds. If you want to make your trip truly spectacular, drive in from Concan north to Leaky and take route 337 (I think) to Kerrville. This is a well paved but little travelled two lane road that takes you back in time to gorgeous mansions, plantations and runs along a very scenic river. Exotic ranches parrellel the road so you can see elk, wildebeasts, nilgie and other exotic animals if you're lucky. It is one of the best kept secrets in Texas and an amazing road for motorcyclists.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank bboz56

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed August 17, 2010

At first glance it was very inviting. We had entrances on both sides of the room from the parking lot, and the pool area. The room had a musty moldy smell to it. Thought by getting some air circulating that it would fade out. To no avail. It was a spacious room, king size bed with a sofa that pulled out to a bed. Bathroom shower head was really low. I'm 5'8 and it hit the back of my head. Patio was nice.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Some hotels seem nostalgic - while others feel old. This hotel is dated and not in a good way - it is old on top of old.

Rooms are standard for the 1980's...seem moldy, cramped and way behind the times. By contrast we stayed in a new Hampton Inn the next night...same price...180 degree opposite experience.

Unless you have some nostalgic reason to stay here - and you like popcorn celings, that "musty-moldy" smell of a poorly ventilated room, furniture that is too close together and worn, tube-TV's, rooms that open into the parking lot, beds that are UNcomfortable then this is your place.

Also...a gas station to the east, a Wal-Mart to the north, a condiminum complex to the south and a really lame "family center/bank" to the east.

Really lame.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
TEXAS
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Seems like a upscale hotel, Staff is very professional,..Food is excellant. Rooms need to be updated. Our rooms were located accross from the conference center. This hotel has no elevator, lots of stairs, hard to carry luggage upstairs. Pool, and court yard is very nice. Wonderful Resturant , gift shop, lounge,and conference rooms. I had a room with 2 queen beds, my door's safety latch was broken. ironing board,TV , furnishings ,very outdated.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Texas
Reviewed March 7, 2010

Looking at it's website, you'd think this is a classy joint with a spa, clean, modern rooms, room service, situated nicely in the country and a quality, caring staff.

Well, none of those things are true. Maybe the last one, but that's a stretch.

First off, the "spa" is the gym a block away that offers massages. There's a nail salon on the premises but given the lack of cleanliness of the rooms, I don't think I want to chance letting someone give me a manicure there. Modern rooms? Maybe if you're lucky enough to get one of the "Tuscan" rooms. If not, a 1970s era HoJo would look like the Ritz. Clean? I'll get there in a minute. Room service...it runs til 9PM and they have pizza and hamburgers. Yeah. And locale? It's on the main drag behind a bank in town. Definitely "a unique hill country experience." And, the staff...well...see below.

I arrived about 7PM, ready to check into a NICE hotel. The front lobby was impressive, despite my thoughts of "why is this place behind a bank?" The people checking me in directed me to room 292, a place no one should ever have to go. I went down there, walking past nice "Tuscan" rooms along the way and passing the pool. All seemed well, except for the fact that there were no interior corridors. I thought, hey, it's like a renovated HoJo.

So, room 292. I open the door and I'm immediately hit with the smell of mold. As an asthmatic, I KNOW MOLD. I know how to stay the hell away from it, I know what it looks like, and I damn well know what it smells like. I had to get to a dinner meeting, so I figured I'd call the desk when I got back an hour later. I did, telling the girl that I was asthmatic and that I thought I had identified the location of the mold: the lampshades and the two ancient pool chairs left in there. A maintenance man came and removed the lampshades but said he couldn't take the chairs out. The girl from the desk was nice enough to call me back and say she couldn't move me tonight but to check with the desk first thing in the morning.

In the morning, I got up and took a shower. Well, I took a shower AFTER I wiped the hair out of the tub. Gross! The shower curtain was very mildewed and I almost had an attack standing next to it, but I had to shower. So, rather than just sucking it up for another night, I decided to complain.

Off I went to the desk. The girl there, Leah, was pretty sympathetic to me and said she'd have another room for me--one of the newly refurbished ones near the tennis courts. Ah! Wonderful. Those were the ones I'd walked by and wondered if I'd traveled back in time when I opened the door to 292.

At noon, I went back as Leah asked, and she said she didn't have the room she thought. She also said that housekeeping had gone into 292 and couldn't find any mold. So, that was her basically calling me a liar. She said she was going to give me 190, which was just under where I was. I asked if this one looked like the pictures on the website. She said no, that the entire back building was still "regular" rooms. I guess "regular" if you're used to paying $35/nt at a truck stop or something, but for what I was paying to stay at the "Inn of the Hills Resort" those rooms should not be considered "regular."

I went and checked out 190. I couldn't smell any mold but the chair was gross looking. It was obvious they knew I was picky because they changed the shower curtain and the bathroom smelled of bleach. Well, that was an improvement. At least they cleaned this time, I thought.

Then, I saw the door. Now, I'm a female traveling alone, staying in a "hotel" that does not have interior corridors. The deadbolt/hasp lock was broken. I snapped a photo of it and the nasty chair and took them to the desk.

Leah saw me coming and ducked her head behind the office door. I showed her the photo of the broken lock and said if they got that fixed, I'd stay in the room but I still wasn't happy that these rooms were not what was being sold online. A housekeeper came out of a door right next to the desk and there was a man there sitting at a desk, most likely the manager.

I asked Leah if I could talk to the manager. She went into the back and came out to tell me that "the manager is off the property." I asked who the guy behind the desk was and she said "oh, that's not him." She said she had one more room but if I wasn't happy with this one there was nothing more she could do. So much for that awesome customer service they advertise on their website.

It was clean, obviously renovated--probably not in the last round of renovations, but at least newer and less disgusting than the rooms in the back building.

Not a place anyone should ever have to go!! If you're thinking of booking a conference here, look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Welkikitty
Reviewed October 16, 2009

We stayed in the Lugunna Room on the first floor. We had a king size bed. It was very comfortable. The room comes equipped with refrigerator, microwave, and coffee pot. We also had a sitting area as well as a table and chairs on our own patio. The breakfast buffet is fantastic. There is everything that one could ask for on the buffet. The price is also reasonable. We had a convention there so breakfast and attending the convention in their conference center was very convenient. Also staying there entitles you to free use of a family gym that has exercise equipment, indoor pool, hot tub, suana, and bowling.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Arkansas
Reviewed September 10, 2009

This was our second stay at the Inn of the Hills, and we found it to be the same pleasant place we remembered, nice setting, friendly staff, good food, clean pool and plenty of hot water. We stayed in the larger double bed rooms that overlook the pool, which we recommend.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple