“Not As Advertised”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Kerrville
boston
“Not As Advertised”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Be prepared -- This is not the romantic hilltop inn that appears on their website. It is a drive up motel surrounded by an abandoned bowling alley, a Walmart and a bunch of strip malls and gas stations. The photos on the website are extremely deceiving.

We reserved two of the loft rooms for our extended family because we were traveling with four young children and the lofts looked like a nice option. Wow, were we wrong. For starters, the circular stairs up to the room were frighteningly wobbly and the space between the rungs on the bannister are big enough for a young child to fall through. The rooms were just awful - smelly, dark and dingy. We asked to trade and were shown two "partially renovated" rooms that were also smelly and dark, but with new furniture that was too big for the space. No good. So they showed us a completely renovated cabana room. That was better and we decided to stay. So ask for a "completely renovated" room.

Another tip - the pool is very pretty, but it is not heated. None of the pools are, so swimming in February was impossible - even for our kids.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Canyon, Texas
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Always good to visit the Inn. Everyone treats me great. Always look forward to get back. Thanks everyone!! I read all the reviews, I've stayed at a lot of hotels, no hotel is ever going to be perfect, but at the Inn everyone is always working hard to make their guests comfortable. Ive been staying at the Inn for 14 years, most of the staff have been there a very long time, because they are good at what they do and they care about this place, and the people that frequent the Inn, its like family.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Two of us stayed here for one night in January. Despite the small number of customers, the motel/mini resort was well staffed and the hospitality from greeting to breakfast service to departure all went smoothly. Overall, we enjoyed our stay despite not getting a very good night of sleep. The issue was with the room facilities. The mattress was not very comfortable. It had hard edges, but sank down when I sat on it and had the feel of a low cost mattress with internal springs. The sheets and blanket were not of top quality. The floor and the baseboard areas and some tile in the bathroom were dirty or bore what looked like permanent stains and signs of mold. The TV set did not have a very good picture. The noise from an adjacent room kept me awake. Given a choice, I would stay at a motel with fewer facilities and a really good mattress and better maintained linens and bathroom. One dead cockroach was found near the bathroom.

On the plus side, the staff did a great job of welcoming us. Front desk was responsive on the phone when I called in for directions. I was greeted by name upon walking up to the front desk.
Check in was easy. The included continental breakfast was excellent and a wait staff made sure the food was fresh and ample. Someone even came to pour coffee at the table. The common areas like lobby, pool and courtyard rated 5 stars and I can see where this is a great inn for a family gathering. We were given a first floor room that opened onto the pool. If we were travelling with our grandkids, this might be our top choice in Kerrville, but I would try for a quitter room and a better mattress.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a courtyard facing room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Two-For-Texas
San Antonio
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We have been going to the Inn once a year for last 15 years... Was great when Hans ran the place... Rooms still good but front desk staff... Especially one lady is very snotty and rude... Dump her... She is scaring away loyal customers

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank bacontoast
Marian S, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are looking into the situation with the front desk to resolve the underlying issues. We appreciate hearing from our guests because it helps us see things from their prospective and it helps us pinpoint where we need improvement. Thank you for your loyalty, we hope to see you soon, and we hope you are pleased with the results on your next visit to the Inn.

Inn of the Hills
marian@innofthehills.com
830-895-6017
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I purchased a 2 night stay at this "INN" for my wife for Christmas through Groupon. It was originally supposed to be a weekend getaway for she and I. I'm glad I decided to bring my whole family instead! This is a drive-up MOTEL! Not a romantic looking hotel like they depict on their website! The images are very deceiving.

I called 2 WEEKS PRIOR to arriving to make sure it was ok that I brought my whole family. I told the gentleman on the phone that I would be traveling with my wife and 4 kids. Our kids are 12, 14, 17 and 23. I was told that anyone under 18 was a child and that we could have 2 kids free and each additional person above that would run $10. I was fine with that. He told us to just let the person know when we checked in. Seemed simple enough. But, we have run into this before so I called again a couple of days later just to make sure. The person on the phone told me the exact same thing. The room was intended for 2 Adults and 2 children. If we had more then each child/adult was an additional $10.00 per night. After talking to 2 different people I figured everything would be fine. NOT SO!

When we arrived at the MOTEL the lady checking us in was EXTREMELY RUDE. I was told that the original purchase was only for 2 adults. I explained to her that I had called on 2 separate occasions and asked if we could add to the purchase and both times was told that we could. She grabbed my credit card out of my hand and swiped the card, threw our meal vouchers at us and walked off! I assumed since she was older and obviously hated her job that the next morning would be better and we left to go find our room. After walking through the lobby it became very apparent that our room was not located inside. All of the rooms had exterior entrances. We got in our car and drove around the Pub where there were groups of people stumbling around drunk and smoking. I was blown away at this point! When we found our room we parked next to the closest outside staircase. As we started towards the stairs with our arms full we noticed yellow tape blocking the entrances to the staircase, like they were unsafe. So we set all of our stuff down ON THE GROUND and started looking for a different staircase. There was not one staircase that wasn't blocked off anywhere on our side of the building. We ended up crawling under the tape with all of our stuff in our hands to get to our room!

Once in the room things got a little better. The room was clean and fairly comfortable. The sink in the bathroom leaked but at this point I was happy there weren't roaches on the floor. The beds however, were extremely uncomfortable and very hard. The room smelled of fresh paint which was better than cigarette smoke, so we dealt with that.

The first morning was better on customer service. The waitress in the restaurant was very helpful. Their breakfast system is VERY confusing. You only get certain things to eat unless you want to pay $11.00 per person for breakfast. At any rate the waitress staff was great the FIRST MORNING.

Fast forward to the second morning and things hit rock bottom. We started out at the check-in counter getting our meal vouchers. When the lady asked for my room number and how many guests we need vouchers for she about had a cow when I said 3 adults and 3 children. I was told that I had way too many people in the room and that I needed to pay $20.00 for the extra guests. I told her that we did and we had already gone over this twice over the phone and at check-in. She began to chew me out because we were LYING to her! She accused us of lying about how many people we had in the room and how many people we had eating etc etc etc. I can handle a lot of things but not being called a liar. Especially after talking to someone 3 different times about the number of guests we were traveling with. Even after seeing that we had paid the $20.00 extra per night she STILL didn't believe us. I charged her with being VERY RUDE and asked to speak to the manager. She said SHE WAS THE MANAGER on duty and yet again I was floored! How can the manager speak to customers this way? We did finally get our meal vouchers and a very "SNARKY" I'm not trying to be rude to you. Round 2 came from the hostess at the restaurant. When we told her how many we had in our party she said they didn't have room for us. We looked in the around and there were SEVERAL tables that we could have sat at. She told my wife that by the time they could seat us breakfast would be over and she was very rude about it. I had had enough at this point. I sat the card on the table and told the lady that I was extremely blown away at their rudeness and we were leaving. As we were walking off the lady YELLED at us in front of their customers. I just told my family to keep walking. We went to the room and got our stuff and left. As I went to the front to check-out we were again accused of being dishonest. I don't know what else we could have done to communicate to these people. We called twice before arrival and told the lady at check-in the changes just as we were told to do. If they had a problem with it then ask me to purchase another room. I would have gladly done that! I have before. We are VERY aware of occupancy guidelines. Travel sites aren't always clear on what a hotel allows for maximum occupancy. I would much rather pay for an additional room rather than be labeled a liar and dishonest. I would caution ANYONE from staying at this "INN". Their staff is EXTREMELY RUDE and the pictures on their website are not anywhere close to what you see when you get there. If anyone is dishonest it is this establishment and the way they advertise who they are. If I had shown up with my wife looking for a halfway romantic retreat I would have been even more livid. STAY AWAY FROM THE INN OF THE HILLS RESORT & CONFERENCE!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank DeWayne K
Marian S, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you so much for the opportunity to talk with you about your experiences while staying here at the Inn. As I had expressed, I am truly sorry for all the incidences you encountered. I appreciate your willingness to talk with me and work through your frustrations. I certainly understand and respect how you felt and I am happy for your willingness to give us a second chance. Your feedback is extremely important to us, as we strive to provide our guests with the best possible service, and when we failed to meet that level of expectation, it is very important for us to know. You are a valuable customer, and again I appreciate your time and effort in discussing your stay with me.

Inn of the Hills Resort & Conference Center
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Rooms look a lot nicer online than once you are there. It was ok but I would not stay there again. Kerrville is a beautiful little town and I would stay there again but would give another hotel a chance.

Room Tip: It was a quiet place, which was good but the rooms were "just ok."
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mary_ishere
Thank you for your response. I am guessing that you may have stayed in one of our rooms that has not been remodeled yet, or is incomplete with the remodeling process. Our remodeled rooms are really very nice and I think you would be very happy with one of them. We are remodeling our second set of rooms which will bring us to 95% rooms remodeled. We plan to be finished with this set by this May. I certainly hope you will reconsider and give one of our new rooms a chance. Thank you again for your response.

Inn of the Hills
marian@innofthehills.com
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed February 5, 2014

This is an older hotel with tons of charm and character. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are clean and modern. The restaurant is also excellent, with good food and service. I would highly recommend Inn of the Hills.

Room Tip: For a view and convenience to all facilities, rooms facing the inner courtyard are nice. Second flo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple