“Nice older place”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Kerrville
Colleyville, Texas
“Nice older place”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights for spring break with friends. 2 adults/2 kids in our room, 2/3 in theirs. The kids enjoyed it. They are fixing the place up, so we asked for a renovated room when we made reservations.
The pools were open, but very leafy. They were also cold of course, so we saw only a couple of kids in one. The indoor pool mentioned in other reviews is actually in the fitness center, which is across the street. We stopped by on our first afternoon to ask about it (a bit of a hike from our room) and they were extremely nice. We went over on our second day to the pool, which was great. You do have to bring your own towels.
The breakfast buffet was fairly large, but bacon cost $1.50 extra. The eggs were quite tasty the first day, but did not look good to me the next day. The fruit was very fresh and we all enjoyed it. No sugary cereal which disappointed the kids, but didn't bother me! We were seated quite quickly both days. The wait staff was not great. I kept having to flag them down for coffee, and forget it if it wasn't their table. They were also bussing the tables, so we did have some plates stacked, as we were supposed to get new ones on return trips. We did not have to stand in line behind more than one person to get a meal ticket for the next day, but it was right after breakfast, so we could see the lobby and know it wasn't crowded.
The blackout curtains worked extremely well. My husband got up early both days and went to the lobby so as not to disturb us, and didn't realize how light it was outside until he opened the door.
Yes, the outlets are a bit inconvenient, but we just left ours to charge overnight. We did have to call to get the tv to turn on and stay on.
The in-room coffee is terrible. I was very happy that the restaurant coffee was better.
Traffic is one way on each side of the property, but they need a few more signs about it. I don't know how many cars/motorcycles I saw go the wrong way. Fortunately they were going slow.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank texasjulie1963
Marian S, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
We appreciate your honesty, and value your feedback. We are taking note of your comments to help us build and improve our services and conveniences, particularly in our restaurant, as noted. We do still have some remodeled rooms awaiting their desk and power outlet lamp. Once they arrive, these rooms should provide convenient outlets for your chargers. We do look forward to your return, and the building our services for you and all our valued guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Kerrville, Texas
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Since two prior emails (sent to the contacts listed on their home page) had been ignored, I called 24 hours prior to my arrival yesterday and inquired about an industry discount. I reconfirmed my reservation and changed it from my maiden name to my married name and was informed there was an industry discount. Upon arrival I was told no, not on weekends. Since I had reconfirmed my stay, I should have been informed that the discount doesn't apply. As a travel agent for a large credit card company I frequently book clients on a strict per diem. I cannot book people under one rate confirmed by the property and then find out that they are not getting it when they get there. Also, for the business traveller or anyone who has children connected to this century, you will find the outlet placement odd. If you want to use the lamp and/or clock by the bed you've used up your outlets. In order to plug in your laptop, blackberry, iPod or anything else for charging you will find four outlets in the anteroom to the bathroom opposite the sink. I suppose the ironing board would have to be used as the desk, which is fine since there isn't an iron in the room. Obviously the desk is merely decoration since it is not near any outlets. The hotel offeres a complientary breakfast buffet, entry to which is secured by a ticket you have to go stand online daily at the front desk to receive. Many of my corporate clients are on a strict schedule and do not have to time to stop for a ticket every day. I'm sure this practice keeps quite a few people from taking advantage of something they've actually paid for. I did check and there is no residual credit for not eating the buffet if standing in line (like a child for a ticket) is not part of your daily schedule. The bathroom floor is not even, so when opening or closing the door (room 277) if you do not have a linebacker staying with you, it is very difficult to fully open or close. If you use the restroom at night and try to open or close the door, the sound of the door scraping on the floor will wake everyone but the deepest sleeper (as in a coma) in your room. I do not recommend staying here if you are on a budget (since you may not pay what you were quoted), if you like privacy and wish to close or open your bathroom door, or if you have any electronics you want to charge or sit and use at the desk.

Room Tip: Ask for remodeled room on the first floor near the main entrance.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank travell96
I certainly can understand and respect the way you felt when you left, and I appreciate the opportunity to talk with you about your issues. I realize the front desk failed to clearify your industry discount because it was coded incorrectly, a big blunder on our part. None the less, you didn't know, and we didn't make it clear. We sincerely apologize for this misfortunate error. We did however honor the pre-booked industry discount that was promised you; an ethical standard that we stand by. Understandably you didn't know and were upset. We are in the process of receiving desks for room 277 along with the remainder rooms in that section. Once they arrive, these remodeled rooms will be equiped with convenient outlets for your chargers. We are continually striving to upgrade and improve our services to our valued guests and we continue to appreciate your feedback. Feedback from our guests is the best knowledge we can receive in order to improve the quality of our services. We do look forward to your return visit, and next time I invite you to join me for dessert and coffee. Thank you for your time and regained faith in us.
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Wonderful hotel, nice people, renovated room, great breakfast, beautiful grounds, handy to unload the vehicle. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated one.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 4dognight
Thank you for your favorable comments. We value our guests and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return.
Marble Falls, Texas
Reviewed March 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend. Overall our experience was good. The only problem we had was the fridge in our room was making a loud noise so we just unplugged it. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. We went to the hotel bar and had a really nice time and the cover band was great. I did see some charges on my credit card today so called and left a message with the accounting department. I have faith they will resolve this issue with my credit card charges. Will stay here again that is if they credit me for these mysterious charges.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mboswell1976
Marian S, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I hope that the charge on your credit card has been resolved. If not, please do not hesitate to contact me. I do know that when a credit card is pre-authorized, the pre-authorized amount will show on the statement for up to 10 days until it clears. If that was not your case, please let me know so we may clear this matter up. We do look forward to your next visit at the Inn of the Hills.

Marian Schlunegger
marian@innofthehills.com
830-895-6017
Houston, Texas, USA
Reviewed February 17, 2012

got the room as a priceline special last minute, I was surprised that I could not get much of a deal. Usually when I stay in San Antonio I can get a 3 star hotel for about $20 less than this place. We were given a room in the back part of the property (obviously not renovated yet). The rooms were dated, we weren't given the option of a king bed and there were not enough outlets to do our charging of phones etc conveniently. The temperature was difficult to control (too cold) and the minifridge in the room made a loud buzzing noise. Next time Ill bring blankets or ask for extras. The up sides was the lobby, very comfortable w/ free coffee and the buffet (hot and cold) breakfast which was thrown in for 2 people. The sunday breakfast was especially good, I would try the eggs benedict (yummy). The pool area looked ok but as it was winter we did not use it. I am going to stay there again this weekend and will ask for a renovated room. I did another priceline attempt, trying to get another hotel but this was the cheapest deal in Kerrville.

Room Tip: Get extra blankets, the comforter is paper thin.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank glglgl8
Thank you for your comment and your attention to detail. We are excited about our continuing remodel and addressing each room's issues. We are pleased you stayed with us a second time and hope that you had a pleasurable experience. The breakfast is a recent upgrade the Inn has begun offering, so we appreciate the positive feedback.
Enfield, Connecticut
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights for a business trip. After reading the reviews I asked for a renovated room which I received. The room was immaculate. It was clean, smelled fresh, and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel itself is retro in the architecture, but they are doing or did a good job renovating the inside.

Flat screen TV, fresh modern bed linens, brand new shower. There is a separate vanity area with granite countertop outside the bath, which is AWESOME., no putting on makeup while sitting on the bed. The breakfast was decent, nothing spectacular, but it was included and hot (for the most part). Coffee was right outside the restaurant free for the taking in to-go-cups a nice perk. Also a good coffeemaker with GOOD coffee in the room-also a nice addition. Plenty of towels and maid service cleaned it well. I honestly don't know what the complaints are here...the only thing I would change is to add a down comforter or extra blankets-it was very cold in TX while we were there. I was too lazy to ask for a blanket but i'm sure they would have given me one. Although the weather didn't permit, there is a nice little 2 seat table on the outside of the room facing the pool/courtyard. Nice property. I will be coming back to Kerrville and staying here again. If you are looking for something a bit out of the ordinary and quiet.. and don't expect 24 hr room service..it is a good choice.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank HollywoodNIN
Thank you for the wonderful comments. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you in the future. We are glad to hear that the remodel is receiving positive attention!
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We did not originally intend to stay at this resort but just ended up there. By the looks of it, it was probably built in the 70's and I am sure it was the best of the best at that time. It is still a neat place to get away. Our room was very comfortable and clean. They serve a full breakfast in the morning which is nice but the food is a little bland. We had drinks in the bar Friday and Saturday nights. On Friday, there were not many people in the bar but Saturday the bar was packed and everyone was having a great time. The only thing i was disappointed about is that i wanted to go in the gift shop on Sunday before we headed home. The sign on the door said they opened at 9:30 on Sundays. It was 11:00 and the shop was not open. I would go back to this resort. It's not the Hilton but it's still a nice place for the money.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We will be working on the public areas next during the remodel. We encourage you to enjoy a stay with us again so that you may see the progess.