“No complaints but no wow”

Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Kerrville
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I agree that the hotel could use some modernizing, but that was part of its charm to me. I stayed for a weekend with my girlfriend and had little to complain about, but also little to be wowed by. The buffet was really underwhelming but no hair or cockroaches, just bland and limited options. The bar in the hotel was actually lots of fun and it's a hot spot for older couples in town to come in full thrift store cowboy outfits and two step, which was entertaining. It's close to lots of sights and tourist spots in Kerrville as well as a hop skip away from Fredericksburg. I wouldn't turn anyone away from this hotel but I wouldn't tell them to expect perfection either.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
benclawson, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2011

I would like to thank you for your time and comments. As noted, on some previous reviews we are remodelling. The new rooms are so beautiful. During the remodelling we have focused on the basic refreshment of the other rooms.We do have some entrees occasionally that due not lower in sodium as this does allow the guest to season to taste. We do this for some of our local heart healthy patrons. Our daily lunch and evening buffets do have the delicious carving station with our slow cooked brisket and includes our featured prime rib on Saturday nights. The hotels bakery provides a very luscious dessert selection and breakfast paistries cooked fresh daily. The Inn Pub is alot of fun and we do have an excellent dance floor. You may want to look into the honeyroom suite next time as it has a wonderful large heart shaped jacuzzi that can enhance a romantic getaway. Once again, thank you for your review and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Very clean and cozy with TWO reading club chairs, a large, comfortable bed, and old-world charm, my room was a joy to return to each of my three nights I stayed this time. The dining room staff was warm and cordial, seating me graciously each morning and responding enthusiastically to any request I made. While I didn't use the pools this visit(cold snap), I have other years and find the one down by the river delightfully private and free most of the time. Ease and relaxation rolls in within hours of stepping through the large, roomy lobby doors. Whenever I visit my friends in Kerrville, I always stay here. I will again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

We greatly appreciate your review and are very pleased you had such a wonderful stay. I am very fortunate to have such a wonderful staff. We all believe service comes from the heart and we all have big hearts. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit and perhaps we can visit at that time.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Inn for a weekend. Well, where do I begin...
it is run down, the rooms are musty and continental breakfast ??? We were never offered a continental breakfast. The lady at the check in counter seemed flustered and desperately needed help. This will probably be our first and last stay here.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank HeyNO
benclawson, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

Thank you for your time to write a review regarding your stay last weekend. Your comments are very important to us as we use them for training and motivating our crew. We are currently remodeling our rooms. We do have some dated rooms of which are scheduled for renovation. At this time, there is several rates that include the full breakfast buffet, continental or no breakfast at all. This is very confusing to both staff and guest. We will be including a full breakfast buffet with every room to solve this confusion.It is my hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs next time you are in the Kerrville area. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed September 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Inn of the Hills over labor day weekend and had a great time. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary. Unfortunately, with 2 kids in college, we couldn't afford the most expensive hotel in Texas, but wanted something memorable.

The Inn of the Hills worked very well. We had stayed her years ago, so we had some idea about what to expect. We were not disappointed. If anything, the hotel is better now than it was before.

We stayed in the best room we could afford. Which means we stayed in the cheapest room available. It was still plenty nice. It had been newly remodeled and was very quaint. I appreciated the rock feature wall, the antique wood ceiling, and the quiet room. We never heard our neighbors, and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. The only downside was the small bathroom, but that is common among hotels of this age. (I asked and the desk says the hotel was built in the 60's)

In the morning, the full breakfast buffet looked very tempting, but we ate at the continental breakfast and found it very adequate.

Everything was clean and attractive. The pool area is especially nice.

They also have a second pool down by the river. I've used it before, but not on this trip. It's a nice pool that has a view and is rarely busy. The river area also has 2 lighted tennis courts, but they were locked up when we checked on them.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel to just about anybody. Couples will find it memorable. Families will find it a destination all to itself. Others will find it a convenient jumping off point for much of the hill country.

One other plus: Everything you need is within walking distance. That includes several restaurants, a grocery, a Wal-mart, a health club (included with your room) and plenty of recreation.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
benclawson, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2011

We want to thank you for your time to write a reveiw regarding your recent stay. We are very proud of our renovated rooms. We are not finished yet but moving right along. I am so pleased you chose our Inn for such a special occasion and it was a very memorable one. Thank you again, we will look forward to your next visit to the Kerrville area.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

The rooms were clean, but everything was old and out dated. We had a room with a loft (which we did not ask for) and it was very hot. Also, very inconvienent. The rooms were expensive and not worth it. I'm sure years ago it was a nice place to stay, but I would not waste my money staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw regarding your visit to our hotel. We appreciate your comments and take them very serious. We are undergoing a major renovation. Yes the room you were given was an upgraded loft room which has some nice amentities. Unfortunately, with the 100+ temperatures the upstairs sometimes is not as comfortable for some people. I am actually installing ceiling fans upstairs to increase the comfort and circulation in those rooms. I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations. However, I would hope you would give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs when you visit Kerrville again. I am confident you will see our much improved rooms and have a very memorable experience.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

My husband made the reservations before I read the reviews. After reading the reviews, I wanted to change to another hotel/motel. But, we decided to give the Inn a try. Upon checking in, we were told we had a room with a court yard view. Our court yard view was actually a dark, lonely hallway with a view of an extremely run down, hugh stair case leading up to the second floor, no court yard. The room was musky smelling with a loud air conditioner, peeling paint on the walls and stuck at the very back of the Inn. We were very disappointed and I immediately went to the front desk and complained. The clerks were very accomodating and our room was changed. Our new room did have a court yard view and you could tell it had been recently renovated. It was extremely comfortable. Our 3 day stay was very pleasant from then on. We enjoyed the pools very much. The staff was friendly and pleasant. We would not mind visiting again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Patti H
benclawson, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

We are pleased that your stay was wonderful, and we thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw. As you are aware we are still in the remodelling process and are very excited about out new product. We share all comments with our staff as a reinforcement to our commitment to excellence. Thank you again and we will look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed August 24, 2011

Since Mr. Clawson responds to the reviews, my husband and I must assume that the Schlunnager family have sold the Inn. This would be sad, but we'll stick with the Inn of the Hills.
We have never had a bad or dirty room or a bad meal. In fact, the food - usually overseen by Annemarie or one of her adult children - has always bee excellent.
I have been mending from a serious accident, but we will return in October to celebrate both my birthday and my ability to walk again. And we know we'll find that Mr. Clawson, et al, will have restored the wonderful place by the Guadalupe that has always been magic for us! (P.S. We assume the Guadalupe, like the rest of Texas, is basically out of water right now. Some day the rain will return.)
/Winston and Gretchen Ellis of Houston - and we're picky about hotels!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
benclawson, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2011

I would like to personally thank you for your kind words and sharing your past experiences at the Inn of the Hills. You were correct we purchased the hotel from the Schlunnager's a few years ago. The Schlunnager family are wonderful people and are well known icons in the Kerrville community. Their daughter still works in the hotel sales office. I am confident that they are going to be as proud as we are of the remodelling work we are doing.

I am very sorry to hear about your accident and pray all is well. I will look forward to welcoming you back in October to celebrate your birthday and recovery. Please, when making your plans ask for me, so I may personally handle your reservation. Thank you again, and I will look forward to meeting you in October.