“Great time at a great hotel”

Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Kerrville
Reviewed September 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Inn of the Hills over labor day weekend and had a great time. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary. Unfortunately, with 2 kids in college, we couldn't afford the most expensive hotel in Texas, but wanted something memorable.

The Inn of the Hills worked very well. We had stayed her years ago, so we had some idea about what to expect. We were not disappointed. If anything, the hotel is better now than it was before.

We stayed in the best room we could afford. Which means we stayed in the cheapest room available. It was still plenty nice. It had been newly remodeled and was very quaint. I appreciated the rock feature wall, the antique wood ceiling, and the quiet room. We never heard our neighbors, and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. The only downside was the small bathroom, but that is common among hotels of this age. (I asked and the desk says the hotel was built in the 60's)

In the morning, the full breakfast buffet looked very tempting, but we ate at the continental breakfast and found it very adequate.

Everything was clean and attractive. The pool area is especially nice.

They also have a second pool down by the river. I've used it before, but not on this trip. It's a nice pool that has a view and is rarely busy. The river area also has 2 lighted tennis courts, but they were locked up when we checked on them.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel to just about anybody. Couples will find it memorable. Families will find it a destination all to itself. Others will find it a convenient jumping off point for much of the hill country.

One other plus: Everything you need is within walking distance. That includes several restaurants, a grocery, a Wal-mart, a health club (included with your room) and plenty of recreation.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
benclawson, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2011

We want to thank you for your time to write a reveiw regarding your recent stay. We are very proud of our renovated rooms. We are not finished yet but moving right along. I am so pleased you chose our Inn for such a special occasion and it was a very memorable one. Thank you again, we will look forward to your next visit to the Kerrville area.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

The rooms were clean, but everything was old and out dated. We had a room with a loft (which we did not ask for) and it was very hot. Also, very inconvienent. The rooms were expensive and not worth it. I'm sure years ago it was a nice place to stay, but I would not waste my money staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw regarding your visit to our hotel. We appreciate your comments and take them very serious. We are undergoing a major renovation. Yes the room you were given was an upgraded loft room which has some nice amentities. Unfortunately, with the 100+ temperatures the upstairs sometimes is not as comfortable for some people. I am actually installing ceiling fans upstairs to increase the comfort and circulation in those rooms. I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations. However, I would hope you would give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs when you visit Kerrville again. I am confident you will see our much improved rooms and have a very memorable experience.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

My husband made the reservations before I read the reviews. After reading the reviews, I wanted to change to another hotel/motel. But, we decided to give the Inn a try. Upon checking in, we were told we had a room with a court yard view. Our court yard view was actually a dark, lonely hallway with a view of an extremely run down, hugh stair case leading up to the second floor, no court yard. The room was musky smelling with a loud air conditioner, peeling paint on the walls and stuck at the very back of the Inn. We were very disappointed and I immediately went to the front desk and complained. The clerks were very accomodating and our room was changed. Our new room did have a court yard view and you could tell it had been recently renovated. It was extremely comfortable. Our 3 day stay was very pleasant from then on. We enjoyed the pools very much. The staff was friendly and pleasant. We would not mind visiting again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Patti H
benclawson, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

We are pleased that your stay was wonderful, and we thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw. As you are aware we are still in the remodelling process and are very excited about out new product. We share all comments with our staff as a reinforcement to our commitment to excellence. Thank you again and we will look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed August 24, 2011

Since Mr. Clawson responds to the reviews, my husband and I must assume that the Schlunnager family have sold the Inn. This would be sad, but we'll stick with the Inn of the Hills.
We have never had a bad or dirty room or a bad meal. In fact, the food - usually overseen by Annemarie or one of her adult children - has always bee excellent.
I have been mending from a serious accident, but we will return in October to celebrate both my birthday and my ability to walk again. And we know we'll find that Mr. Clawson, et al, will have restored the wonderful place by the Guadalupe that has always been magic for us! (P.S. We assume the Guadalupe, like the rest of Texas, is basically out of water right now. Some day the rain will return.)
/Winston and Gretchen Ellis of Houston - and we're picky about hotels!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
benclawson, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2011

I would like to personally thank you for your kind words and sharing your past experiences at the Inn of the Hills. You were correct we purchased the hotel from the Schlunnager's a few years ago. The Schlunnager family are wonderful people and are well known icons in the Kerrville community. Their daughter still works in the hotel sales office. I am confident that they are going to be as proud as we are of the remodelling work we are doing.

I am very sorry to hear about your accident and pray all is well. I will look forward to welcoming you back in October to celebrate your birthday and recovery. Please, when making your plans ask for me, so I may personally handle your reservation. Thank you again, and I will look forward to meeting you in October.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

We went for a family get together. We had 4 rooms total, one of which was a suite. The suite was nice. The other rooms were dingy and 2 roaches were found (1 dead and 1 alive). The upholstery, box springs, etc. were stained. We forgot toothpaste and called down to the front desk to see if they had some. They said yes, so my husband walked down there only to be told that they were out and once they found one they would bring it up to our room. The toothpaste was never brought up. One of the room's refrigerators was not working; they sent someone up to fix it quickly and it did start working.

The pools are very nice. Several people commented on here that they never found the other pools. You need to ask for a map of the facility at the front desk and ask for the locations of the other pools. The pool down at the river front is beautiful especially at sunset. You also have to ask for the guest pass for the workout facility; they don't just give it to you. The basketball/tennis court looked really sad and needed updating. I know that they are working on updating it, but it is about 10 years overdue. I would not recommend this "hotel".

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
benclawson, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2011

I would like to thank youfor your time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We take them all very serious and we use them for training and motivating our crew. We will address the areas you noted be sure our guest are aware of the variety of amenities and activities we offer. This information is also included in our in new in-room directories to be completed next week. It is my hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs and see our remodeling project once it is completed. I am confident you will see the exemplemary side of our service and our property. Thank you again for your time and comments.

Reviewed August 14, 2011

The pools are very nice, clean and enjoyable, as are the common areas(lobby, bar, grounds). However the rooms are battered looking and need attention (scraped and chipping paint on many surfaces, stained curtains, antiquated AC, tube TV). I don't mind the 70's style, but this whole place needs to be repainted and updates would boost this rating. Cleaning staff also missed several things in our room (dirty washcloth in the bathroom when we arrived).

• Stayed: August 2011
benclawson, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2011

Thank you for your time to respond to trip advisor regarding your recent stay at the Inn of the Hills. We take all our guest comments very seriously, we use them for training and motivating our staff. The deficiencies have been resolved and procedures implemented to ensure consistency and follow up. We have today released our first block of renovated rooms back into service. We are very excited about these rooms. The exterior is quite a project but the colors are beautiful.and will coordinate quite well with the rooms. We will look forward to your return to see the results of our remodeling. Again, thank you and we will see you during your next trip in the Kerrville area.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

A great little short trip from Austin Texas. We went shopping in Fredricksberg Texas and
spent the night at this hotel in Kerrville which was only a 30 minute drive from Fredricksberg.
The bed was so comfortable and while the room was small it was clean and had
a nice little fridge and coffee maker in it. Free Wifi was available.
We enjoyed a nice swim in their large pool and could have enjoyed a great looking
breakfast buffet the next morning but opted to leave out for more shopping.
We did go to a good restaurant right down the street named Mamacita's and enjoyed
a movie at the local theater. Kerrville is a very pleasant and pretty local in the great hill
country of Texas. This hotel will be where we stay when we go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
benclawson, General Manager at Inn of the Hills Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Thank you so much for your time to write a review regarding your recent visit to the Inn of the Hills. Kerrville and the is a very relaxing escape from the big cities and as you noted a very short trip away. The hill country is truely one of the hidden gems of Texas. We are pleased that you had a memorable stay and will welcome you back at the Inn of the Hills during your next getaway. Thank you again.