“Decent food; poor service”
Review of Hill Country Cafe

Hill Country Cafe
Ranked #23 of 126 Restaurants in Kerrville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed December 5, 2013

First timers. Small diner atmosphere. We arrived at 1:35 and they close at 2:00. Only two other people eating and they were out w/in 5 minutes. Therefore, you would think we would get very attentive service. Wrong! We ordered the chicken strip and steak finger baskets ($7.99). They came w/ fries and toast. It took quite a while to get our order. Everything was hot. The breading was heavier than I would have liked. We ordered iced tea. I had to ask for lemon wedges, we got two tiny wedges and with two more refills we got no more lemon. I guess we reached our quota.
Our poor service issue was due to them closing in less than 30 minutes and our waitress had one foot out the door. Note: they are a cash only business, no cards.
Summary; there are a lot of restaurant choices in the area and I would try a number of them before returning to Hill Counrty Cafe.

Bon Appetite!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

After our disappointing experience at Starbucks, we still wanted a little something for breakfast. We stumbled on this little gem down on Main Street. It is a charming restaurant. It's an old time hole-in-the wall Texas cafe. The wait staff was very friendly and welcoming. We were the first in for a late breakfast, so the service was extremely fast. I just had the old fashioned eggs and pancakes and my friend had a tuna sandwich.

Portions were very generous, fresh, and very tasty. We enjoyed the ambiance, the people and the food very much. Would definitely make a point of stopping here again.

1  Thank BT88
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We like to eat at the Mom & Pop, hole-in-the-wall restaurants while traveling instead of chain restaurants. Hill Country Cafe fit the bill.

We ate there at lunch and ordered the Chicken Fried Steak. It was cubed steak, not like some restaurants that try to pass off hamburger as CFS. It came with mashed potatoes (real, not instant), toast and a salad. All portions were generous and were quite good!

Not the best CFS I have ever had. But, it was good. I wouldn't mind eating there again.

By the way, they only take cash.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Simply the best breakfast you'll get in Kerrville. Strong portions and very good prices. Nothing fancy to look at but you go there to eat right? They don't take credit cards last time I was there.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Excellent small town Texas café. Not much to look at when you drive up. Interior decor is not much either. Daily specials written on a white board hung on the wall. But that is all forgiven after eating their southern comfort food. Great value. Good sized portions. I had the cheese enchiladas with tortilla soup, pinto beans, Spanish rice, salad and banana pudding. My wife had a patty melt salad and French fries which she proclaimed as the best she ever had. Their desserts looked great but we didn't have any room left to try them.