“Still the BEST bbq i've ever had.”
Review of Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack - CLOSED

Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Kerrville, Texas
“Still the BEST bbq i've ever had.”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

wrote a review when we first came to Kville. 2 years later it's still the best bbq I've ever had. the shack is tiny and the hours have been cut back (Wednesday-Saturday) but I go back there at least once a week. the turkey, pork, and prime rib are the best. I always buy my thanksgiving turkey from cal.

• Visited November 2013

Dallas, Texas
“Never been to the same eatery 3 times in 12 hours till now.”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

When my husband & I first drove up to CalBob's on a Thursday night, we debated whether to go in. The owner met us outside to tell us he was sold out of BBQ & to come back tomorrow. I was skeptical (the place looks kinda sketchy from the outside), but I went back the next day for lunch (hubby was working). I got the pulled pork sandwich & ribs, took it back to our room, ate half of it, & picked up the phone & called in another order to take back home. That was the best pulled pork sandwich I have ever had, & I've had a lot of BBQ in my life. As I told CalBob when I went back, the pork had a marvelous flavor, & it didn't taste like someone had poured liquid smoke all over it (shudder). My husband is not a fan of pork ribs, & I got some for him to try later. Very meaty & flavorful. We went to Franklin's BBQ in Austin 2 days later, & I think CalBob's had better ribs than Franklin's (& we spent 4, yes 4, hours in line that day @ Franklin's). I want to go back to CalBob's on a Friday night& try his smoked salmon. My husband raved about the cilantro coleslaw, but I'm not a fan of cilantro. Be sure to check the hours when CalBob's is open before you go.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Kathy G
“A Shack Is Right!”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Would really like to know how this small place made it to #1 on Trip Advisor, with some of the restaurants Kerrville has to offer? Something is a miss here! Ate here when they first opened...wasn't impressed, so I decided to try it one more time. Finally finding it open and eating lunch...nothing was outstanding and not near as good as our other BBQ restaurants in Kerrville. I do not like having to order by the OUNCE and I do not like any FAT on my brisket when I ask for it to be very lean. There is no room for many to dine at one time. I am thinking this guy must have lots of friends that are getting a free sandwich to post good reviews on Trip Advisor. Just saying!

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Xpressions2004
“What Time Is It Open”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

It would be nice to find the operating hours somewhere on the Internet. One webpage (Yelp) said it's open Monday-Saturday, from 11am to 7pm but the sign outside says it's only open for lunch and dinner. We went there today after 4:30pm (Tuesday, 14 January) expecting to buy take-out only to find them closed. No where on any webpage could I find that they say they're closed on Tuesdays. It's disconcerting to plan on a meal and then have to change your plans simply because there is no consistency on their operating hours. I may skip Cal-Bob's the next time I will plan on them being open. Nine miles one-way, cross-town isn't my definition of fun driving unless I'm assured it's open.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Gerald L
houston
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food from a Good-Ole Boy”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

If you like BBQ, I would recommend stopping in and trying it from someone who has been around a bbq pit from a very young age. According to the owner, he was "willed" his bbq sauce recipe, and yes, it really is worth putting in a will.

It was my first stop at Cal-Bobs, and a few things became apparent quickly:
1) The owner is a proud United States veteran, who supports United States veterans.
2) The owner is an animal lover. He has a small corner set up to showcase dogs that are up for adoption.
3) He's not focused on the frills and fancy decor, he's focused on the BBQ.

As we were eating, I voiced out loud how much I was enjoying the brisket. Apparently the table beside us overheard and said we needed to try the ribs because their ribs were so tender they were falling off the bone. Not to be outdone, the table behind us chimed in regarding their plates as well. Needless to say, everyone in the place was happy with their meal.

Coming from a big city, I personally find the owner's outlook refreshing. However, if you are one of those outspoken politically-radical individuals who love to tell people your own opinions, but dislike hearing from others who may not agree with you...this probably isn't the place for you (nor is the hill country altogether for that matter).

I prefer to eat really good BBQ and enjoy a meal for exactly what it is, a very good meal...the fact the owner is so supportive of our wounded veterans is only a really good bonus for me.

From one foodie to the next...I hope you enjoy your meal at Cal-Bobs!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank LotsaLife
calvin a, Owner at Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
thank you for your kind words.....cb