“What Time Is It Open”

Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Kerrville, Texas
“What Time Is It Open”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

It would be nice to find the operating hours somewhere on the Internet. One webpage (Yelp) said it's open Monday-Saturday, from 11am to 7pm but the sign outside says it's only open for lunch and dinner. We went there today after 4:30pm (Tuesday, 14 January) expecting to buy take-out only to find them closed. No where on any webpage could I find that they say they're closed on Tuesdays. It's disconcerting to plan on a meal and then have to change your plans simply because there is no consistency on their operating hours. I may skip Cal-Bob's the next time I will plan on them being open. Nine miles one-way, cross-town isn't my definition of fun driving unless I'm assured it's open.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Gerald L

houston
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food from a Good-Ole Boy”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

If you like BBQ, I would recommend stopping in and trying it from someone who has been around a bbq pit from a very young age. According to the owner, he was "willed" his bbq sauce recipe, and yes, it really is worth putting in a will.

It was my first stop at Cal-Bobs, and a few things became apparent quickly:
1) The owner is a proud United States veteran, who supports United States veterans.
2) The owner is an animal lover. He has a small corner set up to showcase dogs that are up for adoption.
3) He's not focused on the frills and fancy decor, he's focused on the BBQ.

As we were eating, I voiced out loud how much I was enjoying the brisket. Apparently the table beside us overheard and said we needed to try the ribs because their ribs were so tender they were falling off the bone. Not to be outdone, the table behind us chimed in regarding their plates as well. Needless to say, everyone in the place was happy with their meal.

Coming from a big city, I personally find the owner's outlook refreshing. However, if you are one of those outspoken politically-radical individuals who love to tell people your own opinions, but dislike hearing from others who may not agree with you...this probably isn't the place for you (nor is the hill country altogether for that matter).

I prefer to eat really good BBQ and enjoy a meal for exactly what it is, a very good meal...the fact the owner is so supportive of our wounded veterans is only a really good bonus for me.

From one foodie to the next...I hope you enjoy your meal at Cal-Bobs!

1 Thank LotsaLife
calvin a, Owner at Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
thank you for your kind words.....cb
“Awesome food and atmosphere!!”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Wonderful place to eat and the owner gives 10% to veterans wounded for sales on Friday and Saturday! Everyone in the restaurant loved the place and all tables were occupied. We will definitely go back.

1 Thank Skirby52
thanks for your kind words......cb
“Cal Bob's is a bust.”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Saw this place a few times on my way in and out from K'ville and finally figured out when he was open. Went in had some discussion about his background (more later) and order the prime rib, 4 ounces( here you order by the ounce, along with potato salad and pintos. The sides were very unremarkable, no surprise here, and the meat was cooked about right, med. rare, but had no flavor or, at least, very little. No evidence of smokiness. Most disappointing was that about 1/4 to 1/3 of the piece of meat served me was inedible because is was fat and gristle. Not good when you order by the ounce. (Should have taken it back but was in too big of a hurry to eat and get out. See below)

In my conversation with Bob, before ordering he made it clear that he located himself outside the city limits of Kerrville. He didn't say why but ostensibly that would be to avoid taxes and any city rules and regulations(perhaps fire and safety and health codes?). He went on to say very specifically, and I quote,"I hate America". That sort of spoiled it for me and I was in a hurry to eat and get out. Fortunately, the food is not returning for.
v

• Visited November 2013
4 Thank Joe W
Othello, Washington
“Just travelin' through”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Food is fantastic! The owner Cal was very friendly and so were the other customers! Great small town atmosphere!! The prime rib sandwich was very tender and tasty!! Mac and Cheese was yummy too!