“Entertaining, Fun” 4 of 5 bubbles

Bonzai
Ranked #45 of 117 Restaurants in Kerrville
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Entertaining, Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

Not the kind of place you expect to find in the Texas Hill Country - kind of refreshing to visit.

The good: had a great meal, very satisfying. Certainly a great place for a fun time.

The not so good: There's a lot of fat and salt that goes into this cooking, mmm good but still gives one pause. The food is all prepared on a grill (a hot, flat, steel surface), so effectively everything is fried rather than being broiled.

The "maybe": It _is_ a show. We noticed that different chefs had different techniques, presented themselves differently, and had different skills. Of the two working chefs the night we visited, ours did appear to be Japanese but there was another who was not - I haven't experienced this before. The chefs are really performing for you, and you may find you enjoy your chef's performance or not, separately from how you enjoy the food itself - but not everyone in our party was up to having shrimp tossed into their mouths, for example. The hibachi tables are set up with 8+ seats, so you'll share with others if your party isn't at least 8.

Worth going to if you have never tried it before - and I enjoyed it, as did my in-laws. Probably also really good for kids.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KMPBoston

Bridge City, Texas
“A surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

I visited Kerrville for six days and dined at several restaurants, and this was one of my favorites. We didn't try the grill, but the sushi was very good and beautifully presented, and the staff was great. The atmosphere was very nice, as well. I would definitely recommend Bonzai.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank lljun
Kerrville, Texas
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

First visit today. Totally impressed with the full bar and friendly staff. Since this was our first visit...after a few drinks at the bar, we chose to dine at the hibachi table where the chef cooks your food right in front of you. The food was delicious and of course so much fun watching the chef perform his skills. Everyone had the steak and shrimp lunch special and I had chicken. We all left happy and will certainly go back. The restaurant is spotless, nice decor and Brandon, the manager couldn't have been nicer.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Xpressions2004
W Texas
“Great cook! Great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We love Japanese Steakhouses, and this one was very good. The food was delicious and the cook was very talented and obviously loves what he does. I was surprised and pleased: they don't charge extra for fried rice like most of these restaurants do, and as a result the dinner was quite a bit cheaper than other places I've been. We had a very nice experience.... until... after the cook was done and left the table, another guy came with a bucket of water and sponge to clean the grill. I've never seen this done while people were still sitting at the table and eating. Other Japanese steakhouses I've been to just have the cook scrape the grill down thoroughly before leaving the table. The grill was still very hot, so there was a huge cloud of steam which rose up and wafted across into one of the other diner's faces. He used so much water that it splashed a bit and I was afraid I'd get it in the face or my plate! This was very anti-climactic and actually made me not want to eat any more. This fellow was personable and visited with the other diners, mostly pushing the sushi. The restaurant was very busy and they only have 2 cooks, but I really hope they will wait to wash the grill until the customers are finished eating in future.

Visited April 2012
waxahachie
“OMG GOOD”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

So good. Went on Wednesday nite which is wine Wednesday there. Tried house red wine-was really surprized how good the house wine was. Food was just as good. Waitress made sure I was pleased. VERY GOOD!!!

Visited March 2012

Been to Bonzai? Share your experiences!