“Be Careful”

Barth's Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 23 Restaurants in Kenedy
Cuisines: American
Reviewed March 29, 2011

We decided to take my grandmother's former caretaker out to lunch on Sunday afternoon and Barth's was about the only place in town to go for lunch in Kennedy at that time and day. The place was packed so it was very hard to find a place to park. After finding a table, we sat and sat waiting for service. I went to the bathroom and was a surprise how nasty everything was. I literally didn’t want to touch anything. My mother and I decided to order the buffet and found the lettuce to be dry and wilted. Tuesday night I got sick as a dog and my mother did too. I have been flat on my back for almost a week now. We have intermittent fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and headaches… basically food poisoning. We apparently picked up some virus there and I suspect it was their salad bar. The food otherwise tastes good, but you eat it at your own risk.

Reviewed February 28, 2010

Every time I pass Barth's Restaurant in Kenedy the parking lot is full of cars and trucks. I decided to see why one night while on a road trip to Corpus. What a mistake! If this is the best they have - wow! It's very disappointing. First the place is filthy. I wondered why the health inspector hasn't closed the place down. The floors, walls and seats were grimy with dirt and grease. I'll bet the carpet hasn't been changed in 25 years. The food was ... barely edible and even so, only a few bites. Don't even order anything Mexican; it's pig's slop. My girlfriend and I wanted to go away and find a McDonald's (and we never eat there either, but at least it's generally clean!) I can't say anything good about this place. The buffet was overcooked and had been steaming since 4 in the afternoon...it was 7:30 p.m. Nothing fresh. Nothing changed out. Lettuce wilted. Food and salad dressing dribbled all over everything. YUCK! We will never harken the doors of this place again. If you are passing through, don't waste your time!

The only reason I can see that there may be a lot of cars and trucks in the parking lot is their dining room caters to the elderly who come to sit and chew the fat and talk over a glass of Iced Tea. They had their banquet room going full steam for the octogenarian crowd.

1  Thank Chris500
Reviewed December 31, 2009

We have been driving past Barth's for decades. We finally stopped in for lunch this week. The staff was excellent. Such friendly, small-town folks! The food, though, was marginal, at best. Also, smoking is allowed. We are not smokers. It wasn't until after our food was ordered that all the smokers started lighting up. It's hard to enjoy marginal food when the place is full of cigarette smoke! We left without finishing our meal.

2  Thank ghamp