“Wonderful Staff and Superb food”
Review of The Terrace Cafe - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
San Diego, California
“Wonderful Staff and Superb food”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I love the atmosphere here; it almost has a Cheers feel to it. The whole staff learns your name and your favorite drink in a matter of two visits.

The things about this place is that it is a restaurant by day and a bar by night. Nonetheless, they do not tolerate foul language, and have signs posted everywhere that if you cuss, you're gone. It's true, too. I have seen them kick people out for getting rowdy, loud or offensive. They strive very hard to make it a family environment no matter what time of day it is.

The food is delicious, and prepared with so much heart. Everything is prepared fresh and is like having some of your grandmother's homemade cooking. The spaghetti is to die for; you must try it.

The staff is so friendly and they go out of their way to make sure that their customers are happy. There is also a nice outside Terrace, where you can sit and soak in the Kemah breeze. I love it.

• Visited December 2012

“Homemade food with a cozy atmosphere in a great location”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

The food was fresh and had a homemade touch to it. We got bread with our meal of pasta, lasagna, and ravioli, and there was a ton of it! We probably received 2 entire loaves of bread with our food. The lettuce was fresh and everything came out piping hot. The pasta sauce was definitely homemade which is always a plus with us.

This place seems to have taken a downturn in their business recently, which isn't a great thing for the owner but could be a good thing for you. It's quiet in there if you're looking for that, but if you bring a crowd it might take a while because the food is cooked fresh. No worries though--if it does take a while, you can just drink some FREE BEER. You read that correctly. Something happened recently and the owner can't afford a new liquor license because Texas is apparently making restaurants pay for liquor licenses for 2 years at a time now, meaning you have to front $40,000 for a liquor license according to the owner. To offset the liquor license problem, he gives you FREE BEER!!!! Did I mention the beer is free?

If you want some good food (and plenty of it) for a good price, and of course, FREE BEER, then go check this place out. There's also some pool tables in there, so if you get bored waiting, you can drink your FREE BEER and play pool.

A funny side note: there are signs all over this place that say "no cursing" or "please watch your language." I don't know who has been in there recently, but apparently they had a potty mouth. Kinda funny.

This place is definitely worth checking out.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank brajgreg
League City, Texas
“Surprisingly Good.....Satisfying....Authentic!!!!”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We were at a shop downstairs and asked where the locals eat and the nice lady behind the counter smiled and sent us upstairs. We were a little suspicious since they are in the same building. The atmosphere was .....funky....., but the food could rival almost any fine cuisine in the country.....the funny part is that it is more like going to someone's grandmother's house. The staff is friendly and the owner comes out and chats with you....it was quaint. The biggest drawback, and they warn this on the menu...."...if you are in a hurry , you are in the wrong place...."

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank robert g
Houston, Texas
“Mediocre Hamburgers”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We went to the Terrace Cafe because I bought a Groupon. I really expected the place to be a little nicer since it was in the Kemah Boardwalk area. It was a little dirty and smelled of smoke. We both had a hamburger. The burger looked more like a meat patty on a value menu burger at a fast food place. I really expected more for the price. Fuddruckers is way better. About the only positive thing I can say is that the bun was fresh.

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank Bob M
Galveston Island, Texas
“Satisfying and Authentic and Really Laid Back!!!”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We came to watch the fireworks and dine, and we got lucky, and stumbled into the most laid back place that I have been to in years. Spacious outdoor dining with good food and friendly service. It is one of those old mom & pop places that acts like you are family from the moment you walk in the door. The food was amazing. I had the lasagna and my girlfriend had the mixed Italian trio. The portions were bigger than Texas and obviously home made. The food was so good that I can't really convey it in words, but if I had closed my eyes I would have sworn I was in Italy. What I thought was really cool was that, we were there for several hours, and no one tried to rush us out the door. We sat and sipped on our drinks and enjoyed the amazing Kemah Boardwalk fireworks. The owner / chef personally came to our table and asked how we were doing and if we enjoyed everything, he chatted for awhile and he was very entertaining, and told us a couple of stories that really made us laugh. It was a fun and very memorable experience.

• Visited June 2011