“A Special Evening”

Cross street: In Between 7th & 8th Street
Houston
“A Special Evening”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our 4 course tasting dinner last nite (purchased through Groupon)...The food was spectacular; from the fresh green salad w/ silky buttermilk dressing, to the entrees (we tried 1 of each); my favorite: lollipop lamb chops w/ pineapple; pannacotta was rich & creamy. Enjoyed the Clear Creek wines too; especially the malbec-perfect pairing w/the lamb & the "naked" chardonnay was crisp & clean .. Great service; very knowledgeable staff- made us feel welcome from the time we walked in the door; decor is warm & cozy... even the storm outside didn't matter. Chef Coco is a real gem & great chef; presentation was perfection...A tryly great place for a special evening....

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank trc09

League City, Texas
“Stellar reviews were very misleading”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was going to wait until tomorrow to write this review but the longer I sit here the more irritated I get so I thought it best to get this out. We dined at Tabella tonight as a party of 5 for my parents 38th wedding anniversary. We were sat by the hostess who also turned out to be the ONLY server, bartender, table busser, food runner and apparently manager? It took 15 minutes for her to get our drink order, 10 minutes to get a tiny taste of their house made pinot noir (which was awful) and another 20 to get a bottle of wine that was from Napa and was surprisingly delicious. The bruschetta we ordered was delicious and quick to appear as well as the hummus which was not homemade. Salads took about 30 minutes and entrees about 15 minutes after that. My mom ordered a second order of bruschetta to go with her steak and it was brought out as another appetizer by the chef. We informed her of the mistake and instead of returning it to the kitchen and re-firing another one she told us that "thats how it was on the ticket" and then proceeded to chastise our server right in front of us. The steaks were SEVERELY undercooked and instead of the server acknowledging it, she tried to justify it and made every excuse possible when she should have just apologized and sent it back. The "roasted" lemon chicken turned out to be a grilled (charred) chicken breast that tasted only of lemon, burnt grill and nothing else. The lack of management and professionalism is astounding and I will not be returning.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank Leslie B
Derbyshire, England
“Little Intimate Restaurant, different style of eating in Texas”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is a very small restaurant that served me excellent food. I was there only the second night after it had reopened from closing down over christmas. There wasn't anyone else in the restaurant. But, the waiter was welcoming, very knowledgeable about the wine list. Wines are produced at the facility literally adjoining the restaurant. The chef came out of the kitchen to ask if we'd enjoyed our meal. Try this little place if you want something a bit more special than the norm.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank 99Display_Name99
Conroe, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food is fantastic and wine is wonderful!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

My best friend and I went to Tabella since we were staying at The Clipper House Inn, the b&b at the winery. We were in a girls trip. The place is small (only about 6 tables) and intimate. Our waitress was fantastic, attentive, and friendly. (she received a nice tip) Chef Coco came to our table to make sure the food was good and check on us. She was friendly, genuine, and passionate. The food was over the top. My BF and I split the whole meal; spinach artichoke mason jar w/ bread and water crackers, crab cakes, shrimp diablo with homemade BBQ sauce, bacon wrapped asparagus and cheesecake with a strawberry Zinfandel wine reduction, made from the strawberry Zin made right there at the winery. We had a bottle if the wineries naked Chardonnay. It was all delicious!

1 Thank Kbailey0113
Los Gatos, California
“Good food; ok atmosphere; wine questionable”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Really enjoyed our food at Tabella. My hubby and I split the pear/goat cheese salad. It was very good. I had the pumpkin ravoli (delightful) and he had the blackberry merlot chicken (very good). We tried the wineries pinot noir, zin, and merlot, and really didn't like any of them (to each his own). The good news is there are other wines to choose from. The atmoshere is small and charming, but the lights are a bit too bright. Service from Kyle was impeccable, and the chef stopped by our table. She really did a great job.

• Visited December 2012