“Wanted to like it but just did not cut it”
Review of The Wine Down Bar & Bistro - CLOSED

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Ok when we first walked in the place smell musty and mildewed. I know when the place was Madeline's they had trouble with the sewer and looks like it is still not fixed. We sat at the bar and ordered a bottle of wine and a meat and cheese tray. The wiine selection is good but a bit overpriced. The $15 meat and cheese tray was below average. The cheese was cubed in small pieces which is effects the taste of the cheese. The small amount of meat, salami and jamon, was good quality. After the disappointing cheese tray we almost did not order an entree but decided to take a chance. We order the Snapper. The entree was small with just rice and a small amount of fish. No sides are included. The fish had a good texture but was very salty. Over all the place was overpriced for what you get and had a mildew odor. Service was good.

1  Thank figiyama

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I went with several lady friends on a Sunday night. The place was pretty much dead, so the woman behind the bar told us we had our choice of seats. The interior is very pretty - the main room is all wood and rich rugs with cloth covered tables. There's a lounge type room in the back with sofas and low tables. To the right is a dining room with wallpaper and some antiques. The menu is short - about 1/2 dozen appetizers and 1/2 dozen entrees. Very nice, comprehensive wine list. The woman behind the bar was our server and she was friendly and accommodating. Most of us ordered the shrimp and linguini, which was so bland it wasn't worth eating - even the shrimp just lay there. The pasta itself was made fresh and was good. We asked for bread and told there wasn't any - even though there were bread plates on the table. So for $18 we got a small bowl of extremely bland pasta and 5 shrimp. One table mate ordered the sausage and peppers linguini and really liked it -she said the spice in the sausage and the peppers made up for the bland sauce. Would I go back? No. Overpriced and less than mediocre food - the serve and decor can't entice me back.

1  Thank MLPerry
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The manager of this place is very arrogant and rude - the place is way over priced and the food was way below average. I came when they first opened - it was then but thought maybe it was the first week opening blues - but it was worse the second time around - and service was very bad too - waited 15 minutes before anyone even came to our table. Won't ever go back.

1  Thank sunshinie
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This place lives up to its name. A solid wine list with a relaxing and friendly atmosphere. This was our first visit and Chris, Larry, and Jen were gracious hosts and made us feel very welcomed. The homemade pasta is AWESOME! The bruschetta is some of the best I ever ate, the prosciutto wrapped dates with blue cheese mouse and balsamic reduction is AMAZING! DON'T LEAVE without having the bananas foster bread pudding... a great end to satifying meal. Step off the Boardwalk and wind down!

We'll be back!!

Reviewed May 16, 2012

We have eaten here several times and love it. I believe it is a work in progress but, in my opinion, they are doing it right by keeping the menu small and doing each item very well. The wine list is extensive for a place this size and they are extremely affordable. Chris is very knowledgeable about pairing his wines with what you like and with your food selection. The pasta is made fresh. I love fresh pasta. Some people think fresh pasta is overcooked because it is not "al dente". I heard once that "al dente" was Italian for undercooked (just a joke). The prosciutto wrapped dates in bleu cheese mousse with a balsamic reduction is my favorite appetizer but all of them are excellent (we have tried them all). My wifes favorite is the rustic bread with brie. Be sure to save room for the best bananas foster bread pudding you will ever put in your mouth.

1  Thank yayho