“Step off the Boardwalk and wind down!!”
Review of The Wine Down Bar & Bistro - CLOSED

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This place lives up to its name. A solid wine list with a relaxing and friendly atmosphere. This was our first visit and Chris, Larry, and Jen were gracious hosts and made us feel very welcomed. The homemade pasta is AWESOME! The bruschetta is some of the best I ever ate, the prosciutto wrapped dates with blue cheese mouse and balsamic reduction is AMAZING! DON'T LEAVE without having the bananas foster bread pudding... a great end to satifying meal. Step off the Boardwalk and wind down!

We'll be back!!

Reviewed May 16, 2012

We have eaten here several times and love it. I believe it is a work in progress but, in my opinion, they are doing it right by keeping the menu small and doing each item very well. The wine list is extensive for a place this size and they are extremely affordable. Chris is very knowledgeable about pairing his wines with what you like and with your food selection. The pasta is made fresh. I love fresh pasta. Some people think fresh pasta is overcooked because it is not "al dente". I heard once that "al dente" was Italian for undercooked (just a joke). The prosciutto wrapped dates in bleu cheese mousse with a balsamic reduction is my favorite appetizer but all of them are excellent (we have tried them all). My wifes favorite is the rustic bread with brie. Be sure to save room for the best bananas foster bread pudding you will ever put in your mouth.

1  Thank yayho
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Had shrimp with linguini and it was very bland. The pasta is homemade but that's not a good thing, it was overcooked and heavy. The service was friendly, but too laid back for my taste (walked in expecting a host despite the lack of a host stand and walked around until someone popped up from sitting with some patrons at a table and instructed us to sit wherever). The menu is tiny, 2 pastas, a steak, I think a chicken, veal and 2 fish options. They also have no cokes available, but a full bar? Parking is very difficult as this is located in a house with actual residences all around it. This is probably best as a casual wine spot to relax with friends. They should skip the food and offer small plates you can pair with suggested wines, or small bites to go with the wines.

2  Thank jay1985
Reviewed March 31, 2012

This venue was located in a house on Bradford Street (not on the Boardwalk, thank goodness) but on an adjacent street within walking distance. The food was incredible! Being Italian, home made pasta is everything! I ordered the sausage and pepper tagliatelle...wonderful...the wine selection fabulous, the service impeccable, and the owner (Chris Colin) visited with us twice. In addition to that, we walked right in and were able to dine immediately.

The only down side....limited parking!

This venue is relatively new. When it gets discovered, it will definitely become difficult to get reservations.

Well done, Chris!!!!!

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Visited the Wind Down last weekend after seeing a post on Facebook. What a great surprise! The atmosphere is so warm & inviting. We sat at the bar for a glass of wine before dinner & was having such a nice time, that we decided to have dinner at the bar instead of at a table. We split the rustic bread appetizer (mine done without the brie) & had the beef filet. Both were delicious & done to perfection. I must say that I am not a big fan of brussel spouts, but this side dish was very tasty. The wine list is eclectic, has some good wines by the glass & is fairly priced. The entire staff is friendly & makes you feel at home. The Kemah-League City area has been in need of a restaurant whose chef has a passion for creating wonderful dishes & a staff who truly cares about their patrons. Next time I will try one their "made from scratch" pasta dishes. Bon Appetit!!