“Hidden Gem”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We have eaten here several times and love it. I believe it is a work in progress but, in my opinion, they are doing it right by keeping the menu small and doing each item very well. The wine list is extensive for a place this size and they are extremely affordable. Chris is very knowledgeable about pairing his wines with what you like and with your food selection. The pasta is made fresh. I love fresh pasta. Some people think fresh pasta is overcooked because it is not "al dente". I heard once that "al dente" was Italian for undercooked (just a joke). The prosciutto wrapped dates in bleu cheese mousse with a balsamic reduction is my favorite appetizer but all of them are excellent (we have tried them all). My wifes favorite is the rustic bread with brie. Be sure to save room for the best bananas foster bread pudding you will ever put in your mouth.

1  Thank yayho

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Had shrimp with linguini and it was very bland. The pasta is homemade but that's not a good thing, it was overcooked and heavy. The service was friendly, but too laid back for my taste (walked in expecting a host despite the lack of a host stand and walked around until someone popped up from sitting with some patrons at a table and instructed us to sit wherever). The menu is tiny, 2 pastas, a steak, I think a chicken, veal and 2 fish options. They also have no cokes available, but a full bar? Parking is very difficult as this is located in a house with actual residences all around it. This is probably best as a casual wine spot to relax with friends. They should skip the food and offer small plates you can pair with suggested wines, or small bites to go with the wines.

2  Thank jay1985
Reviewed March 31, 2012

This venue was located in a house on Bradford Street (not on the Boardwalk, thank goodness) but on an adjacent street within walking distance. The food was incredible! Being Italian, home made pasta is everything! I ordered the sausage and pepper tagliatelle...wonderful...the wine selection fabulous, the service impeccable, and the owner (Chris Colin) visited with us twice. In addition to that, we walked right in and were able to dine immediately.

The only down side....limited parking!

This venue is relatively new. When it gets discovered, it will definitely become difficult to get reservations.

Well done, Chris!!!!!

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Visited the Wind Down last weekend after seeing a post on Facebook. What a great surprise! The atmosphere is so warm & inviting. We sat at the bar for a glass of wine before dinner & was having such a nice time, that we decided to have dinner at the bar instead of at a table. We split the rustic bread appetizer (mine done without the brie) & had the beef filet. Both were delicious & done to perfection. I must say that I am not a big fan of brussel spouts, but this side dish was very tasty. The wine list is eclectic, has some good wines by the glass & is fairly priced. The entire staff is friendly & makes you feel at home. The Kemah-League City area has been in need of a restaurant whose chef has a passion for creating wonderful dishes & a staff who truly cares about their patrons. Next time I will try one their "made from scratch" pasta dishes. Bon Appetit!!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We ate here on Saturday. My guess is that it'll be one of the rare times it'll be quiet again, because once word gets out it'll be hard to get a table. Our evening was simply perfect!
I've found Texas fare to be generally disappointing. I rate this food to be excellent. Love is poured into the preparation of the food. It shows up on your taste buds and one might think you're sitting in a Iron Chef restaurant. Honestly.
Love this place. Will return, repeatedly.
Don't even get me started on the fabulous wine list.