Review Highlights

Amazing views

Reviewed September 11, 2018
Christi R
Texas

All reviews cypress trees fishing pier pond area rent canoes lake tours trail markers coffee maker beautiful cyprus historic cabins person cabin fire ring canoe kayak beautiful lake poison ivy spanish moss moss covered tent campers
Reviewed October 2, 2018

This park was undergoing some upgrades when we visited, but it did not affect our visit. The upgrades were all improvements of road and sections of the park. It is hauntingly quiet with the moss hanging from the trees and the Cypress trees lining the lake. Very nice fishing pier and great place for kayak trips. Very helpful park personnel assisted us with parking our RV.

Reviewed September 11, 2018

Go to the fishing pier! Beautiful, quiet and peaceful. Would have liked to had seats and stayed there for hours.

Reviewed August 17, 2018

I visited mid-summer and mid-summer is HOT in Texas. But the cabins at the state park were very well kept and comfortable. I spent my mornings and evenings exploring the ponds and bayous in my kayak and the afternoons hanging out in the shade or the A/C.

1  Thank DJD-Texas
Reviewed July 12, 2018

This park is everything that it claims to be. What you see in the website photos is exactly what it looks like in person. It is incredibly peaceful and serene. The trees are unlike anything I have ever seen at any park I've been to. You can rent canoes and paddle around the cypresses growing in the lake, but we did not.

The hiking trails are easy to traverse with mild inclines and decent paths. My only wish is that they were better marked. They intersect each other and it was hard to tell which trail we were on, but I wouldn't say they were hard to navigate. I don't think it would be easy to get lost, but it would just be helpful to have trail markers.

This is a must see for anyone in the area.

Just a note - if you want to book a cabin, plan months in advance. There is also an entrance fee to the park.

2  Thank Amanda B
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

This is small and relaxing state park. The park's staff are very friendly and welcomed me into the park. I rented a canoe and slowly paddled Hell's Half Acre. I recommend having some experience for this adventure because it is a long and hot adventure with boat traffic. If you can handle it, it is worth the effort. Otherwise, just paddle around the swampy pond in the park because it is beautiful.

Reviewed June 7, 2018

A beautiful state park dating back to the CCC of the 1930s. Deep East Texas forests, lazy bayous and lakes ringed with century old cypress trees. Worth noting, the park is not actually on Lake Caddo, but it is on Big Cypress Bayou with easy access to the lake. The lake pictured is “Mill Pond”, but it does have access to the bigger lake. The park is schedules to be closed the second half of 2018 for a major face lift. (roads & camp sites). Eagerly looking forward to another visit in 2019.

Reviewed May 24, 2018

The mill pond area is the star of this state park - the combination of cypress trees growing in the water and covered by Spanish moss is eerie and beautiful. We also enjoyed hiking the nature trail and other side trails with spring flowers in bloom. This state park is a short drive from Jefferson, TX which has plentiful bed and breakfast lodging.

1  Thank B-and-B-Explorers
Reviewed April 26, 2018

This park has some pretty spectacular photographs just waiting to be taken. Rent a canoe and go out on the lake where the best views are. The state park sells maps for the lake in their main office. We rented canoes two different times and the views were beautiful, however, it was cloud both days and nothing the state park folks could do to help that.

Reviewed April 24, 2018

We camped last weekend at campsite #40, (campsite had water & electricity) and the campsite as well as the other campsites in the Squirrel Haven Camping Area had long driveways – apparently setup as an overflow area for RV’ers. The advantage from a tent camper’s perspective is our campsite was 100ft or so away from the road so we were not bothered by cars driving nearby. It is also in a small loop, which limited the number of cars driving by as well!

On Friday afternoon, we hiked the Caddo Forest Trail which was very well marked and had well-maintained trails and bridges!

On Friday night, participated in the Ranger led Frog program in the Pavilion which lasted ~30 min. which was very informative and entertaining! The PowerPoint slides included audio files of the frogs and the Ranger had all of us attempt to “recreate” the frog noises ourselves – which was in itself very entertaining! We brought our Grand Daughter and it was one of the highlights of her experience at the park!

On Saturday, we went Kayaking though suggest that you purchase a map at the State Park gift shop and bring your smartphone (in a waterproof case) to ensure that you can return safely – as all of the moss-covered cypress trees look the same after awhile and it is very, very easy to get lost on the water!

Warning: I am by no means an expert, but I believe that I saw poison-ivy throughout our campsite and hiking areas, (3 leaves – leave it be!) so if you go – be sure to watch what you’re touching!

Great Texas State Park and I hope to return soon!

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

The cabin we had was clean and comfortable. Bed linens and Towels were provided but not soap. Bathroom was good size. Small refrigerator, microwave and cooktop, in the small kitchen. Very nice but for $95 they could provide some soap !

1  Thank Abhaygirl