“Poor Quality Breakfast”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Jewett
Friendswood, Texas
“Poor Quality Breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel is nice enough--clean rooms, friendly staff. But the breakfast is of poor quality. One morning I tried to eat there, but the yogurt was out of date, the creamer for the coffee were all curdled, the orange juice was brown, and the eggs looked like yellow pancakes. The time for breakfast was 3am to 9am, so I am guessing the food sat out for the entire time. The waffles were the only edible item.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the back side of the hotel--railroad track across the street from hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DLB0723

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Corpus Christi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed at this Hotel in the center of Jewett(across from the field where the monthly flea market is held on the second weekend of every month)on Saturday night,June 15th,2013.I was in suite 105,which faces the highway on the first floor.What I failed to realize is that a railroad track is behind the lot where the flea market is held.The first train with a blaring whistle came by at 5 AM,and I didn't sleep after that.The second train came around 6:30 or so.
NOw let's talk about the hotel.Bed was comfortable and hair-free.Bathroom was slightly smaller than some other Comfort Suites,but the suite was somewhat larger than many others.The Hotel is only about a year old(according to the desk check-in person).It is a nice place in general.It has a gym and a laundry room on premises.Jewett is a tiny town,so food choices are limited.There is a Subway,a pizza place and,maybe one more eatery.That is it.You had better finish the dinner before 9 PM or most of that will be closed.Other than that,the hotel was a bit higher priced than most Comfort Suites,and was mainly occupied by oilfield workers in trucks and vans.Parking is sufficient,and spaces are available near most rooms.I would stay on an upper floor in the rear to minimize the train noise across the street.The breakfast was typical of such establishments with a standard selection-decent-and the dining room was nice.All in all,the experience was above-average.Even the trains were not that big of a deal.
In closing,I would recommend this hotel.Comfortable,affordable,convenient and pretty clean compared top most.

Room Tip: The AC unit was very quiet and had the "fan only"option,which I like very much.Stay on an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very nice. The rooms are large, clean, and comfortable. The staff is very friendly. There is an beautiful small outdoor pool. Also, a covered patio area with picnic tables and a BBQ pit.

• Stayed April 2013
Whitehouse
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

I stay here every chance I get. I think this hotel was built with gas drilling workers in mind, because of the area it is in, therefore, I always call ahead to make sure they have rooms. Sometimes there are almost no people here, other times its full, depending on what is going on in the area. It's new, clean, and mostly quite, except when the trains come by. I have stayed in other Comfort Suites, also, and always find them to be nice.

• Stayed October 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was one of my many stays at this hotel. It is operated by a family that makes guests feel that you are in their home. Wonderful hospitality and attention to detail. Very clean and quiet.
Awesome small-town gem!

• Stayed September 2012
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Really, this 100% validates the two previous reviews. My wife and I had an athletic event that we were participating in about an hour away in Bryan. Upon check in, I asked for a late checkout - as we desperately wanted to shower after our event. That would have meant checking out at 1pm versus 11am. It was a very slow weekend at this Comfort Suites, so I figured either a "yes" or some negotiation to 12:30 or 12 noon. After all, if they sent housekeeping home they could always clean my room the next morning. Nope.

"The owner/manager" referred to in the previous review had a policy - for every hour you were late after checkout it was $10/hour. So to get a shower was going to cost us an extra $20! To make matters even worse, I called the Choice Hotels/Comfort Suites customer care line afterwards to complain. They didn't believe me, since it wasn't in their list of "special policies for specific hotels". So they called the hotel (and put me on a long hold) and were in fact told that I was wrong - The Comfort Suites in Jewett would charge a FULL DAY'S ROOM for checkout at 11:01am or later!!! Huh! One minute late checking out costs you another $100!!! When I asked who would get to resolve my complaint, I was told "The owner/manager, Paul" who set all these draconian policies. When I told the customer complaint line that I wanted escalation over the local owner, I was told "no". Choice Hotels really needs to change their policies if they expect to keep their customers.

So I called Paul back to find out why he was lying to either Choice Hotels corporate or me. His response was to call me "a liar". But I personally thought his favorite line, when I went to offer a future resolution was "I don't like customers, but I run a good hotel". That one sentence to me summarizes everything you need to know about The Comfort Suites Jewett.

Bottom line - rooms are new and nice. For the price you feel like you are getting a decent deal. But blame only yourself if you want anything, or require any assistance or flexibility. They won't give it to you.

One final example - we put very explicit details in our online reservation about room location. Upper floor, quiet room, away from elevators, end of hall, blah, blah, blah. So when we were assigned a first floor, facing the railroad and the road, and not far down the hall I complained. My response. "That is what the owner assigned you, so that is your room." There were all of about 5 or 6 rooms rented out that night. An entire hotel - and yet they gave me a room that was the furthest from what I wanted. The trains, the cars, etc., led to an awful night's sleep!

Despite all that, my wife won her age group in our event. I finished second in mine. We just wished we had gotten some fine Texas hospitality from the Comfort Suites - and not a losing attitude, that hopefully will lead to their demise. A terrible, terrible experience.

Room Tip: I was denied the room I asked for (despite an empty hotel) but you should insist on a room that face...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dukefan2331
Whitehouse, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

I work out of town and spend a lot of time in hotels. My recent stay at the Comfort Suites in Jewett Texas requires a review. I was in the midst of what would have been a 4 week stay when the front desk informed me that they had booked my room and I was on my last day. It took me suggesting alternatives to the hotel staff before I found out that I would have to move to a different type of room in order to stay. I didn't think much of it until a few days later when they told me that my room along with the entire hotel was booked and I would have to check out. The OWNER told me that he had wondered if I was going to extend my stay however he made no attempt to contact me and ask. I had to stew over it a while before saying something to him. I informed him that never had I had a hotel require that I move rooms and never had I had a hotel require that I check out before my intended departure date and his hotel had done both in 1 weeks time. I expected him to do something after I said that to him but I was met with a blank stare. No concept of customer service. Not recommended.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Joel H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jewett
Executive Inn and Suites
Americas Best Value Inn Buffalo
Days Inn Centerville
Days Inn Centerville
#1 of 2 in Centerville

Been to Comfort Suites Jewett? Share your experiences!