“Not worth the price”

Ranked #6 of 31 Restaurants in Jefferson
Cuisines: American, French, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in a 1890's home. White tablecloths and silverplate flatware. Menu changes seasonally with daily specials. Chef owned, since 1984. Casual attire. Men asked to remove their hats before being seated.Fresh seafood, rack of lamb, venison and veal dishes occasionally. Please see out Facebook page for nightly specials.
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We received a gift certificate for a wedding gift. Otherwise we would not have gone.
The food was average and the service ....Well, I could have gotten this level of service at any local chain restuarant. You would think for the price they would be a little more attentive and at least keep your water glass filled.

1  Thank Lynn P
AggieLonghornDad, Owner at Stillwater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

I am very sorry to read that you did not receive attentive service, and found the food on a par with what you have experienced at chain restaurant establishments. On this particular evening, I believe we were short handed with the staff, but we do try to distinguish ourselves with good service, food, and an atmosphere unique to historical Jefferson.

There are newer reviews for Stillwater Inn

Reviewed July 16, 2011

Trying a new restaurant on a special occasion is risky, I know better, but we had heard such great things about this place.

We couldn't have been more dissappointed, from the our greeting, to the service, through the arrogant and unappolgetic ownership to whom we looked for after paying the entire bill.

Unremarkable in every way. Better local choices. Give Stillwater a pass.

3  Thank bmcroberts
smokedpeppers, Owner at Stillwater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2011

First of all, we are very sorry to see someone leave the Stillwater Inn feeling like they have blown their evening and their money. Fortunately, these occurrences are few and far between.
The reviewer fails to mention the contentious point of the evening, that being the assertion that I (the chef) had served them a pork chop instead of a veal chop, which was offered as our special of the evening. They asked to speak to me about the alleged misrepresentation, and I obliged, bringing the invoice for the veal chops that I had just picked up that day. I did not want to bring the raw product to the table, and since my honesty was being questioned, I hoped this would suffice. It did not. They refused to believe that it was not pork, and I could not convince them otherwise. The lady said she enjoyed it, but that it was pork. Other diners who ordered the veal chop seemed to recognize it as such. On the plate with a sauce, it looks the same, I will grant that.
It later came up that they felt they had had to wait too long for their dinner to arrive, and this may have been a fair point, as it was a busy Saturday night. Some people have a different expectation about dining, and it is possible that we exceeded their wait time.
In any case, I regret their unhappiness with us. They did leave a nice gratuity for the server, who was quite out of sorts with their difficulties. I thank them for that.
Perhaps there was so much invested in the proclamation that it was pork that the rest of the evening was downhill. As always, there may have been other underlying issues.
As far as paying the entire bill, I am not aware that there was a reason that they should not.
If I seemed arrogant and unapologetic for not admitting to cheating our customers, them I guess I am arrogant and unapologetic. I have never been accused of that sort of behavior.
Chef/owner

Reviewed June 13, 2011

If you're looking for a place to go in or near Jefferson, there is nothing else on their level. Naturally, you will pay more than other options but this is by far the best food. Anyone who says different has an agenda.

smokedpeppers, Owner at Stillwater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2011

Thank you Bigfundy for taking the time to review our restaurant. It's nice when people act on positive motivations. It is true that in a small town with many visitors, we are encouraged to be all tthings to all people-never really possible for a chef owned restaurant. We appreciate that you see where we are trying go with fine dining in a small town.

Reviewed March 18, 2011

Who would think there would be a place with such understated elegance in this small East Texas town. The gracious hosts, Bill and Sharon Stewart, thought of everything to make our experience in their renovated Victorian house exceptional. From the moment Sharon welcomed us in and offered us a cocktail to the final course of our delicious meal prepared by Bill, we were made to feel at home in this relaxed yet sophisticated atsmophere. The gourmet food and extensive wine list were beyond expectation and the seafood specials we had were very fresh. A great place for a group or romantic dinner for two - we will definitely add it to our list of must-stop places.

1  Thank maryalice74
Reviewed November 7, 2010

The hostess Sharon is very rude. She claimed to be a lady to me, but I however just found her to be a bitter person. You can only imagine how she treats her employees. I will never go back there. Don't just check the restaurant side of this place also check the hotel reviews. You will be disapointed. It isn't a good value nor is ita good date place. Choose the pizza joint and I garuntee you will be happier. Please don't listen to these other reviews.

2  Thank joshuaparker23
Wlliam S, Owner at Stillwater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2016

A very crudely expressed review that I am surprised passed muster with Trip Advisor editors. Asserting that my wife made claims to be a lady is ridiculous. One does not claim to be a lady, one is, or is not. By any definition, my wife is. A gentleman, you obviously are not.
Bill Stewart

Been to Stillwater Inn? Share your experiences!