“Fun in a small town” 5 of 5 bubbles

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Fun in a small town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I know it's just a general store.....but, it is so much fun. The atmosphere is fun and upbeat on the inside. There are plenty of samples out, you can try almost anything that they sell there. There is old candy to buy that you cant find just anywhere and they have a soda fountain inside where you can get hand dipped blue bell ice cream, shakes, malts and floats. And they also have hot dogs, chili dogs and a few other small lunch items. Also, you can get a 5 cent cup of coffee that, believe it or not, is a very good cup of coffee. We had the best time in here trying on all the hats, trying the samples of jelly's, and my mom and i each ordered a single dip cone which was wonderful on a warm day. I bought things for my husband, our kids, and even myself here. It was VERY fun.

1 Thank misty j

Dallas, Texas
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Don't miss this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

If you are in Jefferson, be sure to stop here. It is like a walk back in time. They had all kinds of candies and drinks from my childhood, which was a long time ago. I ended up getting many family gifts there as everything is so unique in this store. They also have an old time soda fountain. If you spend over $100, you get a cute tote bag and a box of homemade pralines. We spent way too much time in here, but it was great fun!

Jacksonville, Texas
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Bring back the memories...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

My family and I took a day trip and drove to Jefferson. The General Store was probably my favorite place to visit that day. I loved seeing items from my childhood and loved seeing items before that time period. There were so many wonderful things to look at. Had a wonderful time having memories of my grandparents. The bacon item section was my favorite. Never thought of bacon icing, lol! The employees were just as friendly as can be.

Visited August 2012
Bossier
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Jefferson Texas a fun day trip.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

We ride bikes and we love to take day trips to small towns. This little town is small but has a GIANT heart! We visited the General Store and had coke floats, we ate lunch at the BEST Barbeque place in the world called Joseph's Riverforge Barbeque! We all had the brisket but we heard a man explain to his friend that EVERYTHING was good especially the fried bologna sandwich. It made us all wish we had ordered one. There is several places to eat as you walk along the brick roads downtown. We went on a Sunday but were told they also have river boat rides, and train rides and horse and carriage rides. We will be going back soon and will proably stay in one of more than 6 Bed and Breakfast.

Dallas, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“We make a point of visiting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

This old store is fun - just plain, ole fun. The intent is to draw in visitors and tourists, but regular visitors to Jefferson seem to make a point of visiting at least once each trip. Or the ones I know do!

Nostalgia abounds and there is something for everyone. It's a great stop on a hot afternoon because they serve ice cream, shakes, floats and so on featuring Blue Bell ice cream products. It's also great spot to just stop, rest and people watch while enjoying a good cup of coffee at long-ago prices.

You'll find an eclectic variety of items from clothing to toys and foods. A wide range of books, periodicals and general ephemera can be found tucked into different spots. You'll also find Texas souvenirs, kitchen wares, mugs, and baskets of candies you adored as a child.

We never leave that store without visiting the food section because my family (including mother, father, brothers, and so on) requests we bring them a jar of the mayhaw jelly sold here. It's wonderful, light and everyone in my family seems to have a different way of describing it.

I always pick up at least one small jar of pecan honey butter for holiday cookies and was recently told the apricot orange pecan honey butter is even better. My husband loves that section too and I find him with a hand full of jerky and jars of pickles. I could go on, but the bottom line is these are very good products that are worth the price.

Where was I going with all this? Nowhere really. Just go. Have fun. Indulge. You'll be glad you did.

Visited August 2012