“Food was not that great, expensive. Unprofessional manager/ cook”

Lamache's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 31 Restaurants in Jefferson
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Wolfe City, Texas
“Food was not that great, expensive. Unprofessional manager/ cook”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My daughter and the grandkids and I came in to eat. The restaurant wasn't busy, there were only a couple tables of people. The atmosphere was nice, but the food left a lot to be desired. It wasn't really Italian, it was more like quasi Italian. Being from Italy, I know what Italian food is supposed to taste like.

The cook, who turned out to also be the manager was really very unprofessional. One of the meals seemed a little undercooked, so I asked the waitress if it could be cooked a little longer. A moment after our waitress went to the back, we heard a woman yelling. After we inquired, we were told she was the cook. My daughter commented the manager shouldn't put up with employees yelling. We were told that the cook WAS the manager. I'm not sure what she was yelling about, but it was quite unsettling. The other people eating heard it as well. I never said a word about it, but even my granddaughter, who's six, asked why the lady was yelling. Maybe she was just having a bad night I guess.

The food was so-so, and the waitress was very nice, although it took a very long time to get our food, especially because they weren't busy at all. In the future, I think we'd opt for a different restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Robert T
Alicia M, Manager at Lamache's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
I'm sorry of your experience at our restaurant. I have tried to contact you for more information so I can review the nights activities on our cameras. I am the manager and as the manager I fill in as needed, I cook, wait tables, bus tables, hostess, I fill in when needed anywhere. We have a head cook and fry-grill cook, I only cook when we are busy and need to hurry the line and meals out! I was asking for more details because September is our slow period and I have not been cooking in the kitchen at all this month so far. This is why I was trying to reach you to find out a date and time so this can be reviewed. I also would like to reassure you that we typically never yell when food is brought back for any reason, the cook does however yell when orders are up. We appreciate comments good or bad and we know our restaurant is not perfect and this is why cameras so we may keep things like your experience form happening again. Once again I'm truly sorry, and I would hope you will give us another try someday!

Tyler, Texas
“Never again...”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I ventured into this place for a steak.

While eating our salads, my wife noticed that some of the lettuce was really old. I mean 'old' to the point of being almost brown in color and slimy. (Talk about losing your appetite) We spoke to the waitress about it (who was wonderful, by the way) and she apologized. While we were waiting for our meal to be cooked, which took a fair amount of time, my wife ventured into the adjoining hotel, (same ownership) and asked to speak to the manager about the salad, just to let he or she know about it. She was told the manager was busy cooking.

Several minutes later, the manager/cook approached our table. She said she was informed of the bad salad, and asked if we wanted another one. (I think we'll pass on the salad at this point, thank you very much) Her attitude suggested that she felt "put out" by having to come to our table. She made zero eye contact with us, and almost seemed angry. At this point, I said "I'm sorry" to her. (Why was I sorry?) I guess I felt bad about complaining. She never acknowledged my apology, and as I looked at her, she still wouldn't make eye contact with me. She took the empty bread plate off the table, turned around, and walked away. She never said another word.

Wow. My wife and I looked at each other in amazement. This gal was beyond 'angry'... she was rude.

I flagged the waitress down a few moments later, informed her of the manager/ cook's attitude, and we walked out. End of story. I'll put up with a lot... but I won't put up with blatant rudeness. We've stayed at the adjoining hotel a couple times in the past, and it was okay... but we'll never visit this restaurant again.

• Visited August 2013
5 Thank Dean J
Alicia M, Manager at Lamache's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
I'm truly sorry for your bad experience. I was informed and shown your 3 pieces of bad lettuce by your waitress, she said that the table was just wanting to inform us, but was ok, you can might stop by and check on them. I told her to tell you I would stop by their table shortly to check in with them. As soon as I finished talking with the waitress, I went and inspected the rest of our salad mix to insure that no one else would receive a bad salad. Since I was told that the table was just simply wanting to inform us, this was a busy Saturday night and I continued helping cook in the kitchen to insure faster service and I wanted to get your steaks out quickly. Then the front desk attendant came and informed me that your table was asking to see me. I approached the table and stated who I was and that I understood you wanted to see me and asked how I may assist you! You said your wife had an issue with the salad, then your wife started talking to me and said that she gave all the bad lettuce to the waitress to show me, and she didn’t know if she could find anymore but how horrible it was, as she was franticly digging in her lettuce. I politely said I was sorry for the bad lettuce and that your waitress had showed me the pieces you had remove, and I reassured you both that I personally inspected the lettuce to make sure that it did not continue to go out to anyone else. After my apology your wife continues to dig through her lettuce, which I offered another salad then asked if I could get you anything else instead, this was not meant to offend you in any way just I was offering because your wife kept digging in her salad. Since I did offend you and you were both so adamant that there was nothing else I could do I picked your salad bowls and told you that your steaks were getting ready to be plated.
I went back to the kitchen discounted your ticket and then to get your steaks and by the time I had them trayed and walking towards the door, your waitress came back in and informed me you left because I did not ever say I was sorry!
I do not know what else I could have done, you say now that I did not look you in the eye but I did! I can tell you that you were seated at the second to last table in the back right beside the window. Your left side was to the window and your wife was in the seat beside you with her right side to the window. When I arrived at your table your area was cleared you had pushed your salad all the way to your far right at the empty place setting, but your wife had hers close by still. I did you look you in the eye as you spoke to me first after I introduced myself and then I looked at your wife when she started talking, however she showed me her salad and continued to dig through it so I would hopefully see something. As I apologized the second time I looked at you after offering something in your salads place, and then I looked at you both again as I cleared your bowls!
A salad is just a free accompaniment to our main courses, we do not make the lettuce nor do we cut it ourselves it is pre-bagged, as do many people do for home use, we wash it and keep it cold until used. Yes we should have caught it but it slipped by things happen I owned up to it and apologized several times. When you left there was several other tables that were around you and overheard everything that was said that called me back out to say they heard me apologize even though that was what you told your waitress and now on here it was how rude I was and the fact I never made I contact. I’m sorry that people will read this and some will believe your account of what happened but just maybe most will take in both sides before we are judged! I just hate that we are doing this all over a free salad and nothing truly representable and homemade by our restaurant!
Natchitoches, Louisiana
“loved it”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Food was good. A really fun place to sit and relax. Service was good. No complaints at all. Will eat here again the next time we visit-which is going to be SOON!

Visited July 2013
“Incredible!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The food was absolutely amazing! Even my critical foodie of a husband loved it! The best eggplant parmesan I have ever had. They were also so helpful when we needed to rush through dinner to make the ghost tour.

Visited August 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The best way to describe: SLOW. Went in expecting great things and was impressed at first. Very nice atmosphere, and we were one of only three parties there. But then it took a long time to be waited on. A long time to get water. A long time to get our orders taken. A longer time to get our soup. And then even longer to get our entres. Then I actually had to get the hotel manager to track down our waitress to get our check to get out of there! Our waitress, while nice and professional while we had her, would disappear for ten minutes at a stretch. I actually began to think she might have been doing the cooking herself as well as the waitressing. On top of everything else, the food was just OK.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Packratdc3
Alicia M, Manager at Lamache's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
I truly hate that you had a disappointing visit at our restaurant. I would like to know a few more details so I may review the nights events to see where we went wrong. I'm sorry that we did not meet up to your expectations both is service and your food! Please give us a second chance!