“Historic and Haunted...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jefferson
The Historic Jefferson Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Jefferson
The Colony, Texas
“Historic and Haunted...”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our Honeymoon. Granted, it was a few years ago (2007), but I don't suspect it's changed a whole lot. Walking in the door is like walking back into history itself. Yes, the furnishings are a little dated, but isn't that the point in a historic hotel? The room we had was clean enough, and there was coffee available at a coffee bar downstairs. We were a late arrival, so we were emailed the code to get into the building, as the desk is not staffed at night. We were in room 3, just at the top and to the right of the stairs. We went on our own little walking tour of the area late the first night. When we returned, we readied ourselves for bed. All was quiet, and I kept hearing someone with hard-soled shoes/boots walking on the floor outside our door. After ignoring it a while, I took a look. The floors out there are carpeted. No way to hear shoes on a hardwood floor like I was hearing. And, of course, nobody there. We were, in fact, the only guests that night.

I saw someone mention that the thought it was unsafe. I disagree. You have to have a numbered code to enter the building at all after hours. We felt perfectly safe. And at home. If you're looking for a modern, all amenities included, updated hotel, this is not the place for you. Enjoy it for what it is. A piece of the past.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lavender_Breeze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
van tx
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

We took 6 teenagers on a over night trip to Jefferson and stayed at the Jefferson Inn because it was reported to be haunted.When we arrived my first impression was that the furnishing were pretty worn and dated.My room wasn't very clean either.There were no coffee pots in the room and it was up to the customer to fix it down stairs.The walking ghost tour was fun and the guide told our kids that our room was one of the most haunted in the hotel.Around 11 or so several guest in their 70's were walking around with their ghost gadgets saying they were getting great ghost readings.This was all really fun until our kids wouldn't go to bed because they were scared.They were not being unusually loud but everything creaks in that old place.One of the men down the hall knocked on our door verbally attacking us.I would have gone to the desk clerk but the are not there in the evening.If you are the only person who booked for that night you are all alone until morning.I just don't feel like this is safe.Uf you are looking for a romantic weekend this isn't the place to go.If this had just been my husband and myself,I wouldn't have stayed there.

Stayed March 2014
5 Thank ejcarnes

Travelers are raving about these Jefferson hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2014

It's a historical hotel, and very charming and cute. They seem to play up the "haunted" aspect of it, but I didn't experience anything like that, and believe me, I tried! I did a bit of research online to see which rooms had the most "haunting" activity. It was spring break so the choices were more limited, I ended up choosing room 14, although supposedly most of the rooms have stories. I was able to explain a lot of the ghostly happenings rather easily. The floors are unlevel throughout the hotel, and this contributes to feeling disoriented. The walls are papered in designs reminiscent of old buildings, and it is furnished throughout with antiques. The staircase is very creaky, but I lived in a house with a staircase before, and they can be fixed so that most of the creaking is reduced, I feel it was left creaky on purpose to contribute to the atmosphere (not saying it's a bad thing). The feeling of being watched comes from security cameras in the lobby and halls. You ARE being watched, but by security cameras. I'm sure the cameras are necessary since no staff is on duty at night. I read about people seeing shadows, I noticed that there is a flag outside that casts shadows in the corner of the room when the wind blows, and I think that is also the source of some of the "clicking" sounds, as metal on the ropes hits the flag pole. The unlevel floor also contributes to doors being difficult to open. There isn't much insulation between rooms and sound carries easily, I could hear plumbing, TV's, and conversation, and I'm pretty sure this contributes to lots of the noises and voices people say they hear. Also, the noise in the hall can get loud, it was spring break and some young people were staying down the hall, at around 1 am another guest ended up telling them to get quiet! I had an EMF detector, which was going off all over the hotel, but there are lots of factors that can cause that result.
There is an Italian restaurant attached to the hotel, I didn't try it because I considered the prices to be too high, but the smells coming out of it were wonderful. I walked across the street for breakfast in the building that was the former livery stable, it was very good. The hotel is conveniently located right in the middle of the historical district, you can walk to everything (except to Oakwood Cemetery). Parking is easy, plentiful, and free. I only wished I had gotten a ghostly visitation, which was the reason I stayed at that hotel in the first place.

Room Tip: Room 14 is located right at the top of the staircase, you will hear everybody who comes up the stair...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary N
Dallas
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Jefferson is one of the coolest little towns in all of Texas. That being said we have stayed at the Excelsior on prior ocassions and decided to try the Jefferson for a change of pace. The Historic Jefferson (HJ) is just what one should expect from and old antique small town hotel. I don't look for shiny modern, big screen tv, jacuzzi tubs in this type of room. I expect to feel lke I am going into my Grandmother's 100 year old house in Georgia. I do not care if the floors creak, or the stairs feel like sponges. What I do care about is that the room and bathroom was clean, the bed was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly and helpful. All of my criteria was met to a tee. I don't go to "Resort" hotels, I prefer the kind of small personable hotels that have been around for 60-70 years, and the HJ is just the kind of simple basic lodging we look for. We did not eat in the restaurant, but the aroma emanating from within was very tempting. Maybe next time, and there will be a next time.

Room Tip: Stick to the upstairs rooms towards the middle/back of the building like #7,8,9. Use the website to...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wil R
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 7, 2014

TIPS - Texas Investigators of the Paranormal and Supernatural investigated this room and didn't come up with ANYTHING. Previous reports of the mirrors having hidden messages - had no message. Reports of the bathtub mysteriously filling - Bathtub will fill up because its very hard to turn off water. When water drips it will auto-close the stopper on the bottom of the tub. We had entire room monitored and bugged and didn't capture anything all night. Very nice historic hotel though. We are planning on investigations in another room later.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank allen61070
Farmerville
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Went to the quilt show this past week and stayed at The Jefferson. Was pleasantly surprised. Had walked through the hotel a few years ago and was put off by the shabby (sagging cushions) furniture in the lobby and had images of shabby rooms in my mind, but never saw the rooms. Well, me and a friend booked Room 20 for one night. I was surprised to see how large the room was (decorated in Civil War theme). Decorated nicely with comfortable beds and a nice clean bathroom with a nice walk-in shower. Water in shower was hot with great pressure. I do have one suggestion; a stand-up toilet paper holder would be nice (there's plenty of room for it). My friend also complained about this - always trying to find it! Ha! The room was never cold and it got down to 18 that night. I had to actually turn the heat off a while. The manager was showing some tourists around so we joined them and saw the inside of a lot of the rooms upstairs and down. All were beautiful. Not as old-fashioned/tacky as some past reviews have stated. This is an old place - the furnishings fit the period. One more suggestion; please get rid of the chair sitting at the little desk between our room, #20, and the other one. The top is completely broken off. Why have it there? It looks nicer to have it completely gone. This was terrible and that sagging chair in the foyer needs to be done away with - please! It's still there! Things like this make a nice place look like it's falling apart and guests will think the rooms are too like I did years ago. I started taking pictures immediately after checking into our room and there were orbs in just about all of them. We were the only two in the hotel and there was one man upstairs that night. Around 12AM I went to the lobby with my video/camera and sat a few minutes but didn't see or hear anything. I took 3-4 pictures through the French doors going into Lamaches. There were three large/thick white orbs scattered down length of the (right-hand side) room floating at the ceiling. The second picture there were 2, and the third only 1 then they were gone. Could see faint facial features in each one. Went to bed later and finally went to sleep when all of sudden a loud bang woke me up. It sounded like wood hitting wood; something large and heavy landing (1:45 am) Thirty minutes later there was another hit, but much more subtle. Sounded like it was in the hallway. I started filming in the room from the bed (infrared) and there were 2 orbs up high between the two beds and they swooped down to the floor. Around 2:30 there were 2 orbs again hovering between the beds and they took off when I started filming. That was the extent of our ghostly experiences. There is a train that comes by several times and it kept waking up my friend. This aggravated her. I had a wonderful time here and will definitely be back. I left my pillow there and the manager called immediately to let us know. Lamaches food was good but my friend was disappointed in the selection of wine. No major complaints here. I feel this place has a lot of ghosts!

Room Tip: P.S. Just remember there's not an elevator. If you have trouble walking ask for a room on the b...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank 82Brenda
Rockwall, Texas, United States
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Great location. We were driving to Jefferson for only one night over the weekend and seemed like most of the B&B's in town requested 2 night stay. So I was excited to find this historic old hotel; and it was exactly what we expected. We didn't expect brand spanking new, state of the art gadgetry, or everything to be 100%. Again, it's an historic old building. Clean, furnished nicely. Good nights sleep on comfortable bed. Laid back atmosphere. We enjoyed sitting on the 2nd floor balcony overlooking Austin Street before going downstairs to dine in the adjoining Italian restaurant. We chose Room 10 because it had a full sized walk-in shower stall. Every room is different...not only different bed(s) but some only have tubs, some have tubs with hand-held shower, so it would be a good idea to check them out on the internet before calling for a reservation. In the morning, you can walk across the street for breakfast whenever you get ready. There is a lot of train traffic near downtown Jefferson and you will probably hear it, but it wasn't loud enough to keep us awake even though we were at the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: We choose room 10 because it had a full-sized shower stall and was on the 2nd floor. It's at th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple