“Southern Hospitality at its best!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jefferson
The Historic Jefferson Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Jefferson
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed two nights on june 25-26 and our room was immaculate. We ate at the restaurant and were seated immidiately. The waitress was supurb. The food was excellent. I have stayed at the Historic Jefferson Hotel many times over the years and have never had one bad experience.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Lisa B
There are newer reviews for The Historic Jefferson Hotel

Reviewed June 18, 2013

The building is beautiful, that's why we booked this hotel. - The receptionist did not greet us but just demanded our name and then stated the amount we needed to pay. Note, they charge a down payment when you book, and the remainder on arrival. Even with your credit card on file, they wouldn't wait for payment until departure. And the receptionist made snappish remarks when I said I am not accustomed to such procedure from the other hotels I frequent. - In the room, housekeeping had forgotten to clean the sink, there were plenty of hairs from the previous guest's shaving. And a chair was so historic it almost broke down when you touched it. - At dinnertime, the restaurant would not have a table for us although it was half empty, and stayed so all evening. (We were decently clad, no shorts or flipflops.) After some discussion and deliveration, they would have changed their mind and condescended to have us, but we decided to carry our money elsewhere. - The culmination were the notices they post. Checkout time is 11am; if you miss it, you pay $ 25. But these 25 bucks carry you only until 12 noon, after which they make you pay another night! - We felt not appreciated as paying guests but rather like inmates. Pity that such a great historic building is in such hands!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mbshu
Alicia M, Manager at The Historic Jefferson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

I want to apologize that you were not greeted with politeness and more professionally! I'm sorry that we are not like larger hotels, which allow guest to pay at check-out, our policy of paying at check-in has been in place for more that 15 years. I also, wish you would have brought your room condition to my attention so I could have made your stay more acceptable. We now have policies in place to ensure this does not happen, along with video and audio surveillance and cleaning logs. Please call the hotel and ask for me I would like to know exactly when you stayed so I may investigate this matter further. Again I'm sorry and wish you would give us another chance.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

For four of us, this was our first visit to this piece of Texas history. Beautifully decorated building with lots of antiques and stories of hauntings by a number of different spirits. Upon arrival, however, we found that the hotel has a reputation for being haunted. Read the visitor log upon arrival for a number of "first-hand" experiences with the local ghosts. Much fun!! True or not, I can not say. But it was totally freaky for the ladies who didn't get much sleep, while the guys, on the other hand, had a restful night in very comfortable beds. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the visit to Jefferson which included antique shopping and soaking in the history of the area.

Room Tip: All rooms are well appointed with antique furnishings. If bothered by the hauntings, ask for rooms...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed there for our honeymoon and we also went back for our one year anniversary. We really like the history of Jefferson and we love that we could park there and walk where ever we want downtown. The restaurant is very good. Love the surroundings. Love it!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TexasStar22
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I took my wife and infant son for an overnight trip to Jefferson over Memorial Day weekend. Not wanting to deal with a B&B when it came to babies, we chose the Jefferson. We didn't get to try the Italian restaurant (dinner with friends on Saturday, and they closed early for a wedding on Sunday) but we'll try it next time. The food smelled very good.

I was disappointed in that I didn't see any ghosts. Darn! (Yes, I'm kidding). We did hear creaks and bumps and thumps in the night. Ooooooooh :) The room (queen bed) was nicely appointed and well decorated for that antebellum period. Yes, the floors creaked and there were a lot of stairs to get to the second floor, but that was part of the charm. The only thing my room lacked was a shower (claw foot tub instead) and a coffee service. I bathed in the tub and washed my hair in the sink.

While there wasn't a night clerk, the staff when we checked in were exceptionally nice. They cooed over our little one and were VERY apologetic that they didn't have a crib for him (we brought one). They were also very nice when we checked out on Sunday morning.

We will be back.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room with a shower. Also, the hotel has a "QUIET" policy after 10PM.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank HoustonMBA
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have now stayed at this historical hotel twice. Both visits were great. The restaurant downstairs has some great Italian food at a really great price. Be sure to take the ghost tour too. Lots of spooky fun.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank tmsvan2
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Go with the right attitude and you’ll love this place. It has a rich history and is every bit as creaky and unusual as one would expect. I’d call the staff “rough around the edges” but terribly nice. The hotel is supposedly haunted and we were thrilled with “bumps in the night”… unexplained noises… or then again… easily explained considering the construction and age of the place.. who knows?

Here’s the bad- the walls are terribly thin. That said, the staff takes noise complaints very seriously and immediately quiets down the offenders. Another issue I hope the new owners will address is the guestroom doors. They are interior hollow doors (think a bathroom door in an older home) with a knob/lock about as effective. The combination of poorly insulated walls and hollow doors does nothing but add to the noise factor. Again, I wasn’t here for a luxury retreat… and I wasn’t charged for one either.

My only real complaint was the rollaway (a better description would be a fold-out cot). The mattress was heavily stained. This needs to be addressed ASAP by the owners.

On the positive (and most of it was), the staff was friendly and responsive. The bed was more comfortable and new than you'd expect in a similar facility. The décor is appropriate without being dainty and the room was clean. I ordered an appetizer in the restaurant (who knew a hotel with 24ish rooms would have a restaurant?). It was delivered to my room (I don't expect room service delivery in a hotel of four times this size let alone in the a very small town) and it was very tasty!

Jefferson is a great place to visit and the Jefferson Inn is one of the best places to stay… friendly folks, great ghost stories, and amazing history. My 10 & 12 year old city kids loved it and want to go back.

MUST DO’s- Jefferson General Store, Lake Caddo Tour, Jefferson Ghost Walk, Jefferson Visitor’s Center and Jefferson Museum.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JSRDallas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jefferson
The Excelsior House
Delta Street Inn
Delta Street Inn
#1 of 28 in Jefferson
Benefield House Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Historic Jefferson Hotel? Share your experiences!