“Freaky Experience!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Historic Jefferson Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jefferson
The Historic Jefferson Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Jefferson
East Norriton, Pennsylvania
“Freaky Experience!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

For four of us, this was our first visit to this piece of Texas history. Beautifully decorated building with lots of antiques and stories of hauntings by a number of different spirits. Upon arrival, however, we found that the hotel has a reputation for being haunted. Read the visitor log upon arrival for a number of "first-hand" experiences with the local ghosts. Much fun!! True or not, I can not say. But it was totally freaky for the ladies who didn't get much sleep, while the guys, on the other hand, had a restful night in very comfortable beds. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the visit to Jefferson which included antique shopping and soaking in the history of the area.

Room Tip: All rooms are well appointed with antique furnishings. If bothered by the hauntings, ask for rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed there for our honeymoon and we also went back for our one year anniversary. We really like the history of Jefferson and we love that we could park there and walk where ever we want downtown. The restaurant is very good. Love the surroundings. Love it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TexasStar22
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I took my wife and infant son for an overnight trip to Jefferson over Memorial Day weekend. Not wanting to deal with a B&B when it came to babies, we chose the Jefferson. We didn't get to try the Italian restaurant (dinner with friends on Saturday, and they closed early for a wedding on Sunday) but we'll try it next time. The food smelled very good.

I was disappointed in that I didn't see any ghosts. Darn! (Yes, I'm kidding). We did hear creaks and bumps and thumps in the night. Ooooooooh :) The room (queen bed) was nicely appointed and well decorated for that antebellum period. Yes, the floors creaked and there were a lot of stairs to get to the second floor, but that was part of the charm. The only thing my room lacked was a shower (claw foot tub instead) and a coffee service. I bathed in the tub and washed my hair in the sink.

While there wasn't a night clerk, the staff when we checked in were exceptionally nice. They cooed over our little one and were VERY apologetic that they didn't have a crib for him (we brought one). They were also very nice when we checked out on Sunday morning.

We will be back.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room with a shower. Also, the hotel has a "QUIET" policy after 10PM.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank HoustonMBA
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have now stayed at this historical hotel twice. Both visits were great. The restaurant downstairs has some great Italian food at a really great price. Be sure to take the ghost tour too. Lots of spooky fun.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank tmsvan2
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Go with the right attitude and you’ll love this place. It has a rich history and is every bit as creaky and unusual as one would expect. I’d call the staff “rough around the edges” but terribly nice. The hotel is supposedly haunted and we were thrilled with “bumps in the night”… unexplained noises… or then again… easily explained considering the construction and age of the place.. who knows?

Here’s the bad- the walls are terribly thin. That said, the staff takes noise complaints very seriously and immediately quiets down the offenders. Another issue I hope the new owners will address is the guestroom doors. They are interior hollow doors (think a bathroom door in an older home) with a knob/lock about as effective. The combination of poorly insulated walls and hollow doors does nothing but add to the noise factor. Again, I wasn’t here for a luxury retreat… and I wasn’t charged for one either.

My only real complaint was the rollaway (a better description would be a fold-out cot). The mattress was heavily stained. This needs to be addressed ASAP by the owners.

On the positive (and most of it was), the staff was friendly and responsive. The bed was more comfortable and new than you'd expect in a similar facility. The décor is appropriate without being dainty and the room was clean. I ordered an appetizer in the restaurant (who knew a hotel with 24ish rooms would have a restaurant?). It was delivered to my room (I don't expect room service delivery in a hotel of four times this size let alone in the a very small town) and it was very tasty!

Jefferson is a great place to visit and the Jefferson Inn is one of the best places to stay… friendly folks, great ghost stories, and amazing history. My 10 & 12 year old city kids loved it and want to go back.

MUST DO’s- Jefferson General Store, Lake Caddo Tour, Jefferson Ghost Walk, Jefferson Visitor’s Center and Jefferson Museum.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JSRDallas
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

A friend and I went to the Jefferson Hotel. It was quiet and nice. We went for ghostly adventure and got a little but not much. The rooms are not giant rooms but we had plenty of space. Lots of old stuff along the hallway. They have an old telephone booth downstairs. Not for use . Just cool to look at. We are planning to go back soon. The hotel staff were friendly and willing to tell you some of the stories they have heard. It is a very old hotel and that is one of the things I liked about it. They have a restaurant inside. We did not eat there so I can't tell you much about it except the people coming out said it was good. The town itself is cool. I loved walking around that old town. They have a ghost tour at night that walks around the town. I am not sure if they do it everynight though so be sure and check with them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Decatur, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We recently had a girls trip and stayed at the Jefferson Hotel....3 of us arrived Friday night and slept in the haunted room 19! We had several experiences in there...we slept in the bed (the famous one from room 14 and 12 that was moved in there!) with the TV on... One of my friends woke up to a bang on the headboard in the middle of the night! I woke up 3 diff times, freezing cold, to the point of shivering. Saturday morning, before sunrise, we turned off the TV...I felt uncomfortable immediatley, as if someone was looking at me. After a few mins I put my hand outside the cover and said 'If you want to touch my hand, go ahead'...mins later, I felt 2 light tingly strokes on my hand..I brushed it away and it did it again, 2 more strokes...talk about crazy! Saturday 2 more of our friends arrived and we left our EVP recorder in room 19 as we went out to venture around town and go on tours....we had several EVP recordings!!! Most of them very clear! When we came back, we had an EVP session in the room and we captured more EVPs while in the room! That night we did not sleep in room 19, we slept in room 1! After the awesome ghost tour and experiences we were too spooked to sleep in 19 again! In room 1, we didn't do any EVP sessions, but my friend who I shared a bed with, said that she woke up and was unable to move her ankles, felt like someone was holding them down...then she felt as if someone was right in her face, but she didn't want to open her eyes! Sunday morning, I was brushing my teeth and I heard a woman singing, but I looked around and there wasn't anyone around singing? We are definitley ready to go back and investigate more!
As far as the hotel itself, we loved it! Yes, it's old, so don't expect something modern and fresh like a Hilton...duh! It's decorated with antiques and it's very pretty! Both rooms were clean and the beds were comfy (even the creepy one!) We had no problems with anything. The staff was very friendly and they give you the information that you need to access the hotel after the doors are locked. We had no issues. We definitley recommend staying at the Jefferson if you are into investigating hauntings or even if you just want to take a step back in time. They do have flat screen TV's...Lamanches was good, the portions are huge, so if you aren't starved, share!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tiffany R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jefferson
The Excelsior House
The Steamboat Inn
The Steamboat Inn
#9 of 27 in Jefferson
White Oak Manor Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Historic Jefferson Hotel? Share your experiences!