“My reservation was cancelled with no prior notice...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jefferson
The Historic Jefferson Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Jefferson
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The summer of 2011, I visited Jefferson with some friends and got to tour the hotels rooms as it was a slow week. The girl at the front desk was polite and told us that if we wanted to make an October reservation, that we would need to do so a year in advance.
I gave my credit card as a deposit and booked two rooms.
Earlier this month, tried calling several times to confirm the reservation, but never spoke to a live person. I left voice messages, and tried to contact them by email, but the account was innactive that was listed on their webpage.
Finally, today I called, got a young girl, who said that i did not have a reservation, for any time during October. I asked her to please check her records and she said that the only record she had was that the reservation was cancelled because it was made during boo week. They always reserve the hotel for a large party during that week.
No one called or emailed me to notify me that there was a problem. I said to the girl, "Is that it? You don't have any thing to offer me instead?" She said that there wasn't a reservation and it wasn't her problem, goodbye."
The only way I'd stay at that hotel is if I died and i could haunt those people to my hearts content!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Laurie809
Alicia M, Manager at The Historic Jefferson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Im the one you spoke to on the phone and as I stated on the phone we are the new owners only since January. I can't explain what happened to your reservations, because it was all done before we took over. However, when you called you told me you wanted to move your reservation to the weekend of October 13th, I stated that we were all booked because that is the weekend of the 15th Annual Boo Benefit. These rooms have been booked by the same people many years, therefore I could not simply bump them for you a room as you requested. I asked you if I could book you for any other weekend and you said NO. Im turely sorry for all the mix-up, and if possible, I would be more that happy to try to make new arrangements.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I visit Jefferson every year and love the town! This year, we added Jefferson hotel to our list of places to visit, mostly because of the reputation of it's "non paying guests" ..Well, we had a very interesting stay to say the least, in room 19. We requested that room because of things we had read and we were not disappointed. We also loved the charm of the historic hotel. If you are looking for a fun place to stay in a great little town, this is for you. You can ask to borrow the books to read the ghost stories and see pics of previous guests. We plan to come back soon!!
Lynda & Tim
Arlington, Tx

Room Tip: I recommend room 19!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lynda B
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed at the Jefferson Hotel at the end of June and found the staff friendly. There were no "bell persons" to assist with luggage so it was a challenge to carry things upstairs - but we knew that ahead of time and packed accordingly. We stayed in room 19 for 2 nights, but had no "known" experiences - still haven't reviewed the videos. The room was neat in overall appearance, but could have been a little cleaner. In fact when looking at a photo I took in the hall of a check printing machine this morning, I noted that the side view showed a great deal of accumulated dust in the machine. The hotel is situated within walking distance of most places of interest and just across the street from where the ghost walk starts. If you're looking for excellent air conditioning and personal service, this may not be the place for you. It is an old building and that shows in some places.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judy R
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This hotel has terrific character being nicely located in the historic part of Jefferson. The building is one of the oldest in town and retains many features. Said to be haunted and it's hard to disagree with this possibility. We never met a member of staff, and check-in and check-out were based on picking up the key from the front desk and then leaving it there on the way out. We enjoyed the stay because we liked the atmosphere of the place. If you want the modern features of an up to date hotel then you will hate this hotel. It lacks many of the things we now normally expect such as wifi, breakfast, bar, newspapers fitness room etc. Jefferson is an interesting place to visit for a day. The antique shops are great and there are small museums. We also took a riverboat ride which had a certain charm (like the hotel!). The Italian restaurant attached to the hotel was pretty average.

Room Tip: The trains the pass through Jefferson toot their horns frequently during the night. So it's bes...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Graybabes
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I have stayed at the Jefferson Hotel many times: room 14, 17 and finally 19. I have always felt this place to be haunted and has a wonderful history and has been my favorite place to stay since we first came months ago. Its lovely. As we came back from eatting dinner and lay on the bed stationary with no lights, tv on we had a motion detector set up and our k2 meter and he asked,"are you a female' and the k2 meter went all the way to red and motion sensor came on. The motion sensor came on three times and the last time staying on for about a minute. We know firmly believe the hotel is haunted and can verify room 19 is. Will I go back, hell ya!

Room Tip: If your into spooky room 19 is place to be!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jennifer F
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The hotel itself is charming, and I slept well. My problem was with the hostility of the management. Aside from the glass-encased guns on the wall, there are signs just about everywhere warning you about your behavior. Signs about unruly kids, signs about noise, signs about having your bags confiscated and your credit card charged if you check out one minute late. Even a sign that says that if you complain about noise in the morning and not immediately, you're out of luck. In the morning after emptying the room and having breakfast, I came back to drop off a tip for housekeeping. There was a woman at the front desk (first sign of staff) chatting with a friend, and I explained to her that I was going to run back to drop off the tip. She was unfriendly, and looked as though I was annoying her. My advice to the owner is to get rid of the signs and get a friendly desk clerk. If the woman at the desk is the owner, good luck.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank LauraBSpa
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We enjoyed the hotel room ambience and the town is charming. We found it very quiet compared to a normal city. I suppose you could consider the sound of the train as a part of the historic city landscape or annoying. We thought the former. While the staff is minimally involved, it is a limited service hotel so we didn't expect much. The restaurant was convenient and not crowded, but we were there mid-week and the weekends are reportedly more crowded in town so first level noise could exist during those times. The room was clean but the mattress was soft and not recommended if one has back trouble. The hotel fit the bill for a historic property but traveler's expectations of what that means should be well thought out for all such properties. We like properties with character and this one has it. Well located to the main sites in downtown. We would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Randy M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jefferson
The Excelsior House
The Carriage House Bed and Breakfast
Delta Street Inn
Delta Street Inn
#1 of 28 in Jefferson

Been to The Historic Jefferson Hotel? Share your experiences!