“dinner”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Charming place to eat, we had Salmon and the Shepard's Pie. Large delicious servings! The salad was unique and good. The best was the bread, will be sure to order a sandwich with this bread next time! Friendly service!

1  Thank mjc318

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I ate here on a Friday night on a recent trip to Jefferson. The restaurant is very small so people are sitting almost on top of each other. At 6 pm they were already out of numerous items. The food was excellent. The bread is as good or better than advertised. Salads were great. I had a tuna sandwich was excellent.
We would go back in the future.

1  Thank Ken D
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I would love to give this a more than 4 star rating but I was literally sick as I could see right into the kitchen from my table since there is only a little display case between the kitchen and the patrons.

The cook had waist length hair and was flipping it, touching it and moving it around because it was completely unbound or put up in any way. All I could think was that her hair was gonna be in my sandwich and worse after she touched her hair she went right back to preparing our food. I'm thinking, "I have hair oil all over my sandwich".

Then I had to use the restroom which is located literally right in the kitchen...ewwww.
As I came out of the restroom I noticed a huge pot of soup on the counter with no lid on it less than a foot away from where the bathroom door opened. Anybody could drop any disgusting thing into that pot after coming out of the bathroom. The cook was not in the kitchen at this time.

The last thing I noticed was the cook left her position of preparing food to come over and take our money. I couldn't help but wonder why the server would not be doing that. I had to wonder if she washed her hands after handling the money and credit cards before going back to preparing food for other patrons.

I do believe they need to put a wall up so the kitchen area is not in view or accessible to the public. I was mortified. They also had this big beautiful bar area that was really nothing but a junk area holding papers/books/crap and whatever. What a shame. I do want to say the food was very good but if you have a weak stomach watching unsanitary preparation you may want to skip this place. The place is also a little spendy as well but I know it's hard to keep prices competitive when you are just a small business so I made concessions for the prices. I would say until they get the sanity issues fixed I won't go back there.

1  Thank Taya L
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Located in a non descript green building next to the Jefferson General Store, this was the best dinner we had during our three day stay. We both had fish dishes, the wifey the best pecan crusted salmon we have ever had. I had the tilipia dish, which was fantastic, the magic sauce very savory. The salad was superb, yet the molasses bread is to die for as an appetizer. Top it off with an extensive dessert menu. We shared the blueberry strawberry pear cobbler with Blue Bell Vanilla Bean ice cream. Food outstanding, however, service below par. Make reservations during weekends, we had no trouble during the week.

1  Thank Shuttrrbug
Reviewed June 11, 2013

they take the time to cook the food fresh while you wait. the rolls were literally right out of the oven. delicious- everything

2  Thank TerryB_358_13

Been to Austin Street Bistro? Share your experiences!