“Amazing food!”

Dining options: Reservations
Plano, Texas
“Amazing food!”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I ate here for dinner one evening when visiting Jefferson and LOVED it. Everything we had was simply wonderful. We had the crostini for appetizer (incredible!), then he had the salmon and I had the shepherd's pie. We shared banana cake for dessert. It is such a great meal, we had to roll ourselves out of there. Yum yum!!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank CookseyMom

Arlington, Texas, United States
“Unplanned and wonderful late lunch.”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place is well-decorated, has a very interesting menu with super baked goods and delicious choices. We had soup and sandwiches then split a dessert. One of the goodies = special breads for sandwiches and also to go along with the soup. Very personable wait staff. Would certainly go back again. Look forward to trying other things there.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Tom S
Texas
“You Decide”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The Austin Street Bistro in Jefferson, Texas is very difficult for me to review, because our experience was so uneven and subjective. (Food may be high quality yet not appeal to certain people.)

To start, this is a VERY small restaurant housed in an historic building downtown. There is not a lot of space. Unfortunately, with the heat from the kitchen (just on the other side of a dividing cabinet) and the open door....it was a bit warm. It was also noisy, not just from the patrons, but from some raucous music. This restaurant had been recommended to us as a place for a romantic meal, and its web-site also gives this impression, but the noise and the close surroundings did not create a cozy atmosphere. I think this could be changed with some softer music, candles on the table, waiters in aprons, etc.

On to the food. We started our meal with the Crostini (sic?) which is sort of like a gourmet pizza. It was a mound of melted goat cheesy-tomato bruschetta goodness. (You can choose which cheese you want.) This, paired with a salad, would have been more than enough for me as a meal.

My husband ordered the Shepherd's Pie as an entree, and I had the Chicken Primavera. Both were a good bit spicier than I would have thought (my husband said his entree was even hotter than mine.) I honestly could not eat my Primavera, and I regularly eat moderately spicy Mexican food.

We were also served bread with our salad. One of the items served was a bun with a maple sauce. I'm not a big fan of maple-flavoring, but other people may really like it.

So in the end, we had mixed feelings. The prices (entrees around $15 or so) are not cheap for our area, yet I didn't feel that it had the atmosphere for a really "romantic" dinner and I was disappointed in the atmosphere. The food is certainly high quality, however, if it is to your taste.

2 Thank Caprina
Brisbane, Australia
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Comfortable setting with terrific service! Top that off with excellent cuisine and you simply can't ask for anything more!

2 Thank TheMathsMan
Texas
“A Delicious Treat!”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I have been to Jefferson many times, but only recently tried Austin Street Bistro for the first time. We are so happy to have found such a tasty restaurant option in an equally quaint location. The restaurant is small, almost giving the feeling that you are at a family member's home. The staff is friendly and greet each customer with, "Make yourself at home!" My husband had the veggie sandwich; hands down, the best veggie sandwich we have either had, ever. I had the Pilgrim (turkey, cranberry, cream cheese, oatmeal molasses bread). I imagined it would be like a tasty Post-Thanksgiving treat. This delectable sandwich greatly surpassed my expectations! There is a wide selection of desserts, but we were too stuffed - next time. We cannot wait to return!

2 Thank Brooke D