“Nicest in town!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jefferson
The Culberson House
Ranked #20 of 28 Jefferson B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed in numerous B&Bs in Jefferson over the years and The Culbertson House is unquestionably the best. Our suite was opulent...bed was very comfotable and decor was beautiful. The hosts were gracious, interesting and unobtrusive...just the right amount of interaction. The house is stunning and was beautifully decorated for the holidays. You wont find anything comparable in town.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

I knew it would be difficult to find availability for an impromptu decision to stay over in Jefferson during a candle lighting weekend in December. After scouring the internet, I discovered that most B&Bs had a 2-night minimum for this weekend. I booked Culberson House because a 2-night minimum was not required when I checked availability and booked my reservation. However, I received an email within a few days from someone I'm assuming is the owner - she didn't identify herself. The email stated that she didn't know why the online booking allowed me to book only one room, but that I could either book a 2nd night or she would need to cancel my reservation. What? Really? More than canceling my reservation, what bothered me was the completely apathetic attitude! Absolutely nothing was done or said to make up for their error - computer or not - just a matter-of-fact, "all B&Bs have a 2-night minimum." What horrible customer service! All I did was try to make a reservation. If that is the attitude towards customers, I wouldn't want to stay here! Not only did she not represent her B&B well, but she also didn't make a good impression for the town.

Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank newiscool
Reviewed November 9, 2013

i have stayed at the culberson house 6 times and every room was excellent hollis and Tamra were excellent hostess and host. Made you feel like you were coming home for the week-end.
The rooms were imaculaate and always smelled super good. The front porch and grounds were as beautiful as the inside. We have booked 2 more visits for next year. i would recomend it to anyone.

Room Tip: i liked the outside rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We just had the best time we've EVER had at ANY bed and breakfast we've ever had. Don't let the elegance of this jewel make you feel like you have to be formal in any way. We rode in on our Harley. We were welcomed by the owner, Hollis. He went above and beyond to make our stay AMAZING!! The antiques and history of them and this house is incredible. He made it and this charming town make me want to look into the history even more.
He asked on the phone before we left home what are we interested in doing while there. He said he will drive down to the lake and get the info on the gator/swamp tours and paddle boat so we will have that ready when we arrive. He did. He even had people to talk to when we arrived. But he made this elegant historical home feel like we stepped back into its rich history and we were living it. We relaxed on the back porch on these plush wicker couches and rocking chairs. We looked out over this plush yard with a fountain bubbling away sipping my tea. He let me choose what type of music I wanted playing quietly all over this mansion. I sat in the parlor near this piano that came over on a wagon. There is a hidden door that lead into my bedroom a back way. I have ALWAYS wanted to see one of those, let alone stay there. My bedroom had an old DEEP claw foot tub that I refused to get out of for hours.
We were at total relaxation mode and just felt so at home. Hollis was so attentive and spoke so highly of his wife that I can't wait to meet her. We will be back!!!! If you miss out on this jewel you are missing out on a real find.
The charming down town where everyone is sitting outside and so friendly with their cobblestone streets and out door wine tasting with live music everywhere is just 2 blocks down from the home.We walked and ate at 3 different places, and did a wine tasting and antiqued shop. There's even a Christmas store as well as theater for live shows, music shows as well as movie theater. It is so safe and charming we just walked back late at night and crawled into our lush bed where we slept better than we have in a long time. Thank you Hollis.

Room Tip: We just had the best time we've EVER had at ANY bed and breakfast we've ever had. Don't...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013

First off the good:
The place is gorgeous. The website really doesn't do it justice. Second, it's extremely close to downtown so you can walk around very easily. We were really looking forward to having the whole house to ourselves since none of the other rooms had been booked. Maybe get to tour them all? Who knows!

Now the bad:
I read reviews on here before we left and was excited by the majority of wonderful reviews. Then, I read the one from a year prior about how they had 'room to grow' after the owner 'forgot' they were checking in and had to wait for the owners to drive a few hours to let them in. Well, that happened to my husband and I. The place was totally empty when we showed up. We called and left a message saying we were there to check in. A few minutes later we get a call from the owner saying she never got any notification from her system we were staying there. It's all a fluke because they're closed right now (we have both a confirmation email saying we're all set and on the website it showed our room as booked). She texted the name of a comparable B&B and said it would be better since the Culberson doesn't serve breakfast.
Since we didn't know anything about the other B&B and felt like a nuisance rather than a customer, we decided we would rather make visiting Jefferson a day trip and drive another ~3hrs back home. Not the relaxing weekend we'd hoped for.
After getting home and checking out their website, the following week is blacked out so it is possible that there was a glitch, but nowhere on the website did it say anything about being closed at any time. What stood out more than anything was the overwhelming feeling that one person staying there for the night wasn't worth their time which is not a great business model.
Also, what kind of B&B doesn't serve breakfast?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Shanzym
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Have you ever arrived at a Bed and Breakfast and stepped out the the car...saying this is heavenly? Well, that's the way we felt when we arrived this past weekend. The Culberson House is full of charm both inside and out!!! Tamara and Hollis made us feel welcome and relaxed from the moment we arrived. The yard is a perfect venue for a outdoor wedding,family gathering,or a place to impress your co-workers or friends. The grand back porch brought back wonderful childhood memories of my great grandparents' home. We enjoyed relaxing with a glass of wine, seeing the wonderful Texas sunset, and Tamara telling us about some of the history of Jefferson. I just love the rich history of the small towns in Texas!!! Inside the house, were elegant and stunning antiques. Each room has it's own unique charm and the fragrance of the home was enticing! Our room, the Kimball suite, was furnished with antiques that were lovely beyond measure and the fireplace made for a warm welcoming(even though we did not use it).The bed was truly heavenly!!! While we were there, Hollis(whom you will just love his Texas accent and personality) told us about the history of the Culberson House. We were in awe of the history in the House, and the added personal touch makes this place one you will want to come back to again and again. You will be tempted to spend one day looking at all the magnificant furnishings in the home. The angel celing in the dining room is one of my favorites...with a chandelier that speaks from the heart of Texas...that everything really is bigger in Texas! And the location is perfect...you are able to walk to the historic downtown,walk to restaurants of your choosing, and enjoy some comedy at the KnightLight Theater. The ambience at the KnightLight perfectly fit this historic town and the complimentary appetizers of cheese, fruit and chocolate were true to the Texas hospitality. We were in town for The Civil War Reenactment...it was spectacular(be sure to rent the headphones for the battlefield, to get the true feel of the battle)... If Texas towns are what you love, then the Culberson House in Jefferson Texas is a perfect match. Relax and enjoy!!! We will be back!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hookem22Dallas
Reviewed April 19, 2012

My husband and I love B & B's and chose The Culberson House as our destination over the weekend. From the moment we stepped in the door, the atmosphere was friendly, relaxing and accommodating. The antiques in the home are beautiful and we could have spent our entire weekend just perusing the furnishings and decor. We are early risers so we were extremely pleased to find that the hosts provide vouchers available for breakfast. We chose Beje's Diner which was excellent and provided wonderful service and was just a short distance from Culberson House. Thisweekend we stayed in the Angel room which was decorated so exquisitely; On our next t trip I believe we are going to book the Culberson Suite with the Jacuzzi tub, sitting area and beautiful fireplace! I highly recommend the Culberson House for a romantic weekend away. Tamara is a wonderful hostess and the personal touches such as the handwritten notes and personal recommendations are what make the weekend experience so much more enjoyable!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple