“Well worth your time and $”

Turning Basin Riverboat Tours
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The boats are from the old LaSalle boat ride at Six Flags over Texas, which was really cool and nostalgic since I remembered the ride from my childhood days. The tour guide was excellent (can't remember his name). The history along the one hour journey was very interesting. Hint: There is a reason why it's called "Turning Basin". Learned some things and had a great time.

2  Thank HelloDolphin

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My favorite part of this boat tour was our guide. A true local providing colorful commentary on the wildlife (and how to cook it), the history of the bayou, and the politics of Jefferson. I could listen to her talk all day! This was the perfect way to rest after a couple hours of canoeing, while still taking in the sights & sounds of the area. Plus it's a great outing for less adventurous types.

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We decided to do this tour last-minute based on a recommendation from the B&B owners where we stayed. It was very affordable (I was expecting it to be more expensive, honestly!) He was obviously a history buff and shared an abundance of interesting history about Jefferson. Highly recommended!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I both loved this 1 hour boat trip on the river by Jefferson. Our guide (who I think is the owner of the business) was hilarious, and told us a lot about the history of the area as well as things about his life there growing up. We had no idea that there was so much history in this former riverport town. There is not a ton to actually see on the cruise (you basically see the banks of the river on both sides with trees), but his storytelling was fabulous and we both really enjoyed the time. Also - you owe it to yourself to go into the cabin (er-shack?) where the tickets are sold to view the eclectic collection of used books for sale. It's a hoot!

Tips:
- We went in the middle of July, so it was very hot (thankfully, we were on the first boat in the morning). Wear sunscreen and bug spray.
- Get there early - our tour filled up fast
- Call before you go so you know exactly what times they are going out. Their hours vary by day of the week and possibly during different months or for holidays they do more / less
- He said sometimes if it's a dry year, he can't run the boat in the later summer. (I had no idea the river was so shallow - but he said it's only a few feet deep!) So, again, call before you go.
- If you have trouble with steps, I don't know how you would do this ride. I posted a picture of the stairs you have to go on to get onto the boat - they are steep!

6  Thank CookseyMom
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I took this tour and very much enjoyed it. The tour is an hour long - a perfect amount of time to get a good view of the bayou and learn some interesting facts about Jefferson during the Post-Civil War era. Our guide was both knowledgeable and humorous.

4  Thank Brooke D