“Faulty hotel website, bad chain policies” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Jasper
Louisiana
“Faulty hotel website, bad chain policies”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

I called up this location's hotel website Dec. 22 to reserve a room for two adults, Dec. 28. We travel all over the South/Southwest all the time but haven't stayed with this chain lately because we've found much more accommodating chains ... but this town was the best stopover for our route and decided to reserve at this hotel since neither of our two fave chains are there.

I called up my Priority Club IHG account, saw I had 8,000+ points so I selected 'reward nights' and had the option of using 15,000 points for a free night or 10,000 points plus $40, or 5,000 points plus $70.

Since I only had 8,000+ points, I selected 5,000 points plus $70. A pop-up said, 'you don't have enough points.' I know I don't have enough for a free night but wanted the 'rewards plus cash' night. I started over, again clicked the 5,000 points plus $70 option. Again, pop-up saying not enough points.

So I called the toll-free reservation number and got a pleasant and professional agent who said it must be an interface error and she could check on it. I said, 'Also, while I have you, can you look into another issue? I think we have two accounts and I might have points in the other account as well; can you merge the two accounts?' She said no, but that she could transfer me to someone who could.

So I got a less friendly woman with a stiff, robotic accent (like nothing I have ever heard and I personally know people from almost every corner of the planet). I asked about merging the accounts and she said she could but that I had no points in the other account. I told her that was odd since we had stayed at an IHG place on military bases once or twice on that other account. She said, you don't get points when you stay at an IHG on military bases. Why not, I wondered? But I let it go because I thought to myself that after this stay, IHG would never see us again.

So I just told her to cancel the other account to keep down confusion since it had no points anyhow. She said OK. Then I asked her to transfer me back to the earlier person so I could get my 'points plus cash' reservation that I was unable to make earlier on the hotel's website. But she said she could make the reservation for me, so I said OK.

So she was making the 'points plus cash' reservation and told me multiple times that the $70 and points would be taken immediately and NONREFUNDABLE and I called to my husband to hurry and move money from one of our bank accounts onto our bank credit card (because of course you never give a debit to a hotel). He was surprised because the hotel chain we mostly use never puts a charge on your card till your arrival. But he moved the money over quickly and I gave her my card. She told me once more the money would come off the card immediately and be nonrefundable. OK, OK, I said.

Then she said, now you may cancel this reservation up until 6 p.m. on the 28th. I said, wait a minute, you said my payment would be nonrefundable. She said that's right. I said then why would I cancel it? She said well, so the hotel will know you aren't coming and won't be inconvenienced. And I said if they are keeping my money and points anyhow, why do I care? She said because if you don't let them know you aren't coming, you will incur additional charges. I asked her was she kidding me. She said, yes, if you do not call, you will incur additional charges. (Even though my room is bought and paid for!)

My husband, overhearing, says tell her to forget that reservation and to cancel any and all accounts we might have with them. I told her. She became kind of snide and think she was trying to tell me that I was going to lose my points and I just said something to the effect of 'it's all good, goodbye, etc.' She never tried once to apologize for the barbaric polices and crappy website.

While talking to the two agents, I never heard 'this call might be monitored for quality assurance,' so I'm guessing that chain is not big on quality assurance and/or doesn't want to hear the reaction to some of their policies like charging extra if you don't show up for your PREPAID room or not giving points for IHGs that are lucky enough to get to operate on bases used by the folks who defend this country (like my military retiree husband.)

So if you try to make reservations on this hotel's website and have problems with the 'reward' options, you can call central reservations and maybe get some degree of help. As for us, we can reroute our trip around Jasper and anywhere else where IHG is the only viable option. Just know that there are at least two very good chains whose rewards systems are extremely simple and generous, no prepay, and points refunded if you cancel before 6.

Room Tip: I would get a room elsewhere myself but if you do want to stay here, check out all their policies ve...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank papertravel
Tammy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for your comments and suggestions they have been forwarded to IHG corporate.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bulverde, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have stayed in the Holiday Inn Express in Jasper for approximately four years averaging over nights per year due to my professional travels as an oil and gas consultant. When I originally started working in this area I tried all the name brand motels and found none that came close to equalling the hospitality offered by the staff (which I have found to be excellent), ambiance, cleanliness, and accomidating toward making the seasoned traveler comfortable. I hold the staff of this establishment in very high regard, they have a way of making patrons feel at home.

Room Tip: I prefer the 2nd floor, executive suites. These rooms face Hwy 190 but road noise is minimal and ha...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tammy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for your outstanding comments, they are greatly appreciated. And as always it is a pleasure to have you stay with us.
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Visiting Hemphill area and difficult to find accommodations. Jasper is about a half hour away and I trust in Holiday Inn Express when going to a strange city to offer good quality at a reasonable price. I was not disappointed. Typical HIE hotel, and their breakfast did stand out as excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tammy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us it was a pleasure to have you.
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great hotel in a small town, enjoyed the cookies at 7 p,m, everyday and the people who worked there were so incredible. Breakfast was excellent just the right thing to do in the mornings.
The rooms were so cold we liked them and the beds are very comfty.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the back and swim in the new swimming pool, excellent views and so quiet place...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tammy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your review and we look forward to having you again soon
Jasper, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I love this Holiday Inn Express. The beds are soooo comfortable. I could sleep for days. It is by far the nicest hotel in Jasper. I stay there quite often. You must get a cinnamon roll for breakfast. They are addicting. Love laying out by the pool. The staff is always friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tammy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your comments, it was our pleasure to have you stay with us we look forward to having you again.
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Hopefully the title doesn't sound conceded. This is a rural area with not much to offer other than the outdoors and hospitality of the locals. That being said, this is a very nice hotel with warm, friendly staff. The quality of stay is great and I have only one complaint. The coffee at Holiday Inn Express is horrible, no matter which one I go to, it is always bad. So I started bringing my own. Every time I need to go to Jasper I will stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for the king suite, very nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tammy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We value your opinion and will forward your comments to the upper management . We look forward to having you stay with us again soon
Moreno Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have been visiting this interesting town for a few years for many various reasons, from funerals to mother-in-laws class reunion. But this visit has given me the opportunity to be exposed to the true nature of the service at this particular hotel site.
Each visit upon arrival, the hotel front desk staff have maintained their consistent good and pleasant arrival greeting, which really leaves you satisfied. The hospitality in the breakfast area, during our stay was not as consistent as the front desk nor the room attendants. I truly believe this is an area which management must take a very serious assessment, with the outlook of what might best for the company as opposed to what is best for the site or location.
Once again, the room attendants were very accommodating and courteous, truly this is the demeanor which should be displayed through-out the entire site.

Room Tip: Rooms on the pool side provide less traffic.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Gino S
Tammy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Jasper, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for comments and suggestion's