“Hotel, Restaurant, and Golf”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Rayburn Country Golf Course
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Jasper
Nacogdoches, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Hotel, Restaurant, and Golf”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This was my first time at Rayburn Country, but my husband had been there before the renovations. We enjoyed our stay VERY much. The renovations were excellent. Everything is very modern-looking.
The only reason I didn't give a 5 star review was because our stay at the hotel was cancelled by one of the front desk clerks 2 days before our arrival. We never called to cancel, and we were never given a reason as to why the reservation was cancelled by the employee. However, the staff was very accomodating and found a room with a king bed for us, so everything turned out fine. We weren't able to check into our room until after my husband's round of golf (about 6:30PM), but it wasn't that big of a deal. Inconvenient, but everything was resolved.
The restaurant had tasty food with reasonable prices and a casual atmosphere. I don't know much about golf courses, but my husband says it's a great course. The hotel room was modern, clean, and had a comfortable bed. We plan on making another trip very soon, hopefully. Very beautiful place!!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank jenniferlovestravel

Fulshear, Texas
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“First Rayburn Country trip since course reopened after renovation”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Rayburn Country used to consist of 3 9s, Green Gold Silver. Apparently they turned the Green course (my favorite because of target golf) into an executive course but it was apparent it was not being maintaned well. We did not play it, the fairways did not appear to have been mown in at least a week or so.
Positives - Course renovations were nice albeit the course needs some help in lots of areas. Bunker changes/additions are nice and add a nice look to the course. Green changes to make the greens more modern instead of just sloping (sometimes severely back to front) are nice...lots of undulations. New clubhouse has been completed and is very, very nice. Easily accesible half way stop between 9s for drinks or whatever.
Negatives - their cart fleet (all gas) seems to have some issues...balding tires, low tires, not very clean. We had one cart with a tire that went flat and another than was almost flat. Called pro shop 6 times and got no answer. Finally got someone. They guy comes out with an air tank with electrical plug in (really, like there is an electrical outlet just waiting on every hole). And, the air tank did not have enough air to completely fill up both tires. Also, "we don't have any cart boys working". On a Saturday? Really? Also noticed a sign that says they are closed on Mondays. If this were a private club, I could see that. But this is billed as a resort. A resort and course is closed on Mondays? Really? They have some serious drainage problems on a few holes. It had rained earlier in the week and on Saturday it was still cart path only. It really did not need to be on probably 14 or 15 holes but the others...definitely needed to be as it was horribly wet. You have to wonder how expensive it is to go out and simply cut a couple of 6 inch wide trenches to allow the water to run off. There are some areas (left side fairway #10 comes to mind) that are just bare with no grass growing. Most of these areas are not in the woods and in the edges of the fairways where you would expect to see grass.
Overall - The Saturday we were there, they had a lot of play but I understand they had a large group booked that day. Don't know on normal Saturdays. I would play the course again but would be wise to check closely the cart you pick to make sure it can make it around 18 or 36. Would like to have played the old Green 9 that is now an executive course but was not going there if they were not maintaining it. You have to wonder if this place can make a go of it with today's economic times. It is way out, no large cities close, an area mostly known for fishing and cost to keep a golf course in truly "resort condition". I would go play it again but probably not on an up and back same day trip because of the 3 plus hour drive. And, I would not go if I thought it was going to be cart path only again.

Visited April 2012