“Grabbed the lunch buffet!”

Green Frog Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Jacksboro
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I knew before leaving Dallas that I would not pass through Jacksboro without stopping at the Green Frog to grab a hamburger or a sandwich, the only things I had eaten on two previous visits. The waitress let me know, as only a vintage Texas diner waitress can, that I would be making a mistake if I skipped the $8 buffet (drink included). "You can relax with dessert, also included, and we have fish today!" That's what she said, but her look told me I would be a damned fool if I ordered from the menu in her hand.

So I grabbed the buffet: superb coleslaw and potato salad, pickled beets, fried catfish, barbecued sausages (just a taste), fresh green beans, corn, several pieces of fried okra, a spoon of bread pudding, and a dollap of butterscotch pudding. Although I've probably omitted something, other things I noticed included tossed salad fixings, fruits, mashed potatoes, chicken fried steak, cobblers, banana pudding, and a soft ice cream dispenser. A homemade yeast roll came from the kitchen to the table, as it should.

There was no sense of anything having been sitting too long on a steam table. Everything I had seemed fresh.

When the "vintage" waitress brought my check ($8 total!), I had two clean plates stacked in front of me. I said, "I didn't like anything," to which she snapped, "You ate everything but the plates!"

I left laughing.

My summary back in Dallas was that this food had been like a company meal in a southern home. Atmosphere? Authentic. Service? Delightful. Value? Incredible.

I'll be back to the Green Frog.

Reviewed January 26, 2010

The food is very good. Good chicken fried steak, fried chicken, fish, meatloaf, chicken and dumplings. The portions are very big. Lunch buffet is great also. They could use a little sprucing up, but it's been there forever.