“My Favorite Chinese in the Metroplex”
Review of Empress of China

Empress of China
Ranked #199 of 578 Restaurants in Irving
Cuisines: Chinese
Dallas, Texas
“My Favorite Chinese in the Metroplex”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Over the course of the last three decades, it seems to me that the overall quality of Chinese food in the Dallas area has declined as fast as the number of strip-center restaurants has exploded. The trend has been toward the big all-you-can-eat buffets, which have been found to include such Chinese delicacies as pizza. (Apparently they're trying to lure the gluttonous away from Cici's.) So it's with great enthusiasm that I heartily endorse this strip-center spot, which requires a bit of a drive from either Dallas or Fort Worth. I've eaten there many times, and never been disappointed. Walking through the doors, one quickly leaves the heat and traffic behind. Even when there's a crowd, the softly-lit dining room seems serene and inviting. The lunch specials are a true bargain; one low price includes an entree, a cup of soup, and either egg roll, crab rangoon, or chicken wings. Service is polite and efficient, and the food arrives quickly - a plus for those on a limited lunch break. It's right across Beltline from Irving Mall, and there's plenty of free parking.

By the way, I've also eaten at the Empress in Grapevine. Different menu, different atmosphere - I'm not enamored.

• Visited July 2012

Grand Prairie
“One of our mainstays”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This restaurant has been one of our regular stops for about four years. The food is tastey, the service is excellent, and the price is right!

• Visited March 2013
Coppell, Texas
“Neighborhood Bistro with a Chinese Flair”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Empress has been a favorite place of mine for about five years. In recent years, the food quality is not what it once was when I first began visiting their place. However, I can still strongly recommend it to anyone who wants good, freshly prepared Chinese food.

The place is cozy: six booths against the far wall, each illuminated with soft, glowing blue pendant lights. Additionally, there are several four-top and two-top seating areas, plus a large table for 8-10 people. Bamboo laminate floors, black seats, and soft lighting offer a relaxing atmosphere. There are flatscreen TVs available for the sports fans, but they are usually kept at low volume.

There is a bar offering a full array of cocktails, beer, and wine. The staff is very friendly; you're greeted upon entering and warmly thanked as you leave. The wait staff is efficient, & accommodating. They don't hover, & are not chatty...just attentive & focused on providing their patrons with good service.

The weekday lunch specials at Empress can't be beat! For around $8-9, you get a full meal that includes your choice of hot soup, entree, rice and egg roll, plus a beverage. It's one of the best lunch bargains in town. Be prepared to take some home with you, as the portions are generous. Though they are always busy during weekday lunchtimes, their speedy service ensures that you'll return to your workplace within your scheduled lunch hour.

I've enjoyed going to Empress for dinner as well. It is casual dress, but it's not unusual to see patrons who are dressed up. For those who live locally, or north of Valley Ranch, it makes for a great, quick place to stop if you're heading to a concert or other event in the downtown area.

The Mandarin Pecan Prawns are a favorite; sweet, tangy orange sauce served over large, fried prawns with large chunks of onion and red pepper, and of course, plenty of pecan halves! It's an entree and dessert all in one dish. If by chance you're not a shrimp eater (it's okay, we can still be friends!), this same dish is available with white meat chicken breast. The Crab Rangoons are a cream-cheesy bite of heaven, the soups are flavorful, and the egg rolls have a freshly made taste. I'm also a big fan of the Asparagus with Shrimp (found under the "Vegetarian/ Lite" section of the menu). Again, this dish can be ordered with chicken. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is any dish featuring scallops. They are usually cooked properly, but the size & quality has varied greatly during my visits (anywhere from silver dollar size to nickel sized), regardless of the season. Caveat: smaller scallops do not equate to an increased quantity on your plate.

I've only made one complaint during my years of patronage, which was during a recent meal. My chicken in the Triple Delight dish (which features beef, shrimp, & chicken along with veggies) tasted "off," & I wanted them to be aware of it. No apology was offered by either our server or the manager; the manager simply told us that everything was always fresh & he seemed skeptical at our concern.

We weren't trying to get a discount on our meal...just wanted to make sure they knew about the chicken. I was disappointed (& surprised) not to receive an apology, which to me would be a basic feature of the type of good customer service typically shown by the staff.

Overall, Empress of China is a place that anyone who loves Chinese food will enjoy.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank JulieJ0122
Benton, Arkansas
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

We found this restuarant through trip advisor on a recent trip to Dallas. Although you really have to be looking to find it, we really enjoyed our meal. The soup was very hot and flavorful. Three of us had three different meals and we all enjoyed our selections, although the beef in my lomein was somewhat tough. Would eat here again.

Fort Meade, Maryland
“Great food great service”
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Hard to find good Chinese food in texas! This place was definitely above average. The food was really good and the sesame chicken was really delicious. Atmosphere was a bit old and new tablecloths are terribly needed. The service was great and they brought out oranges and fortune cookies at the end.

Been to Empress of China? Share your experiences!