“Enjoyed It”

Via Real Gourmet Mexican
Reserve with OpenTable
Via Real Gourmet Mexican is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 577 Restaurants in Irving
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Byron Nelson Way
Arlington, Virginia
“Enjoyed It”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were staying across the street at the Four Seasons. I am not a big fan of the tex-mex concept, but I was game. We enjoyed our waiter and he marched us through the menu; and it was appreciated. My wife had the filet and scallops. These scallops were not cooked enough and the plate smelled like a fishery. I had the steak, and it was very good.

The desert was also very nice. My wife had the mouse and I had the chocolate cake. All in all, I was glad we went. Our waiter was fantastic and made sure he did not rush us. I can see why this is rated # 1 in Dallas. We will be back.

• Visited October 2013
Via R, Owner at Via Real Gourmet Mexican, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
I am so happy to read that you were taken care of during your visit. Thank you for giving Via Real a try! Our goal for each guest is to leave them with a memorable experience that causes them to crave more.

I am sorry to hear that your wife’s scallops were not cooked to her liking, please let us know next time so that we can fix it! I apologize that it was not caught. It saddens me to see that she left unhappy. However I am pleased to hear that the steak was to your satisfaction.

Please visit again so that we may erase the scallops hiccup.

Again, we do appreciate the time you spent updating us on your visit and we hope to see you both very soon!

Glen Arbor, Michigan
“Very Nice Atmosphere, but pricey”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Nice interior with a good atmosphere. Very classy. Excellent service and not a bad margarita. I agree with others that the food is noting special and over priced. Had some shrimp and crab enchiladas that were supposed to be a special. The crab was unlike any crab meat I have ever had. It wasn't fresh and the quality was terrible. Met Fran Mathers the owner who was very gracious and when we commented on the crab she did not act surprised and kind of shrugged her shoulders.

• Visited September 2013
Via R, Owner at Via Real Gourmet Mexican, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for the compliment on our atmosphere and service, but I am very distress that you were disappointed in the crab enchiladas. That is one of our best selling dishes.

Apparently when I spoke with you the evening you were here, either I completely misunderstood your comment on the food, or I did not understand that you were unhappy. I would certainly have addressed the fact that you were not happy by offering to serve you a different dish as our apology for not pleasing your palate. We pride ourselves on the very fresh quality of our food, especially our seafood. The crab meat we use is BackFin Crab (about $20 per pound). This is the next best meat to Jumbo Lump Crab, and it is stored in unopened packages opened each day and used ONLY for that day.

We hope you will return to Via Real and remind me of this incident. We would LOVE to treat you to another dinner of your choice (on MY ticket) as our honored guest. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to communicate your thoughts to us. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.

Irving, Texas
“Twist on Mexican food”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Amazing atmosphere, salsa/chips are very good. Service is top notch with emphasis on taking full care of you during your dining experience. Margaritas are big and potent, none of that sweet & sour mix junk but made fresh. Food is unique and fantastic with classic favorites and some interesting twists. This is the place you go to celebrate something or go on a first date to really impress. It it is a bit pricey but the value for what you get makes it worth it. Definitely the best fine dining Mexican restaurant in Irving and I would put it in the top 10 in the DFW area. Well recommended!

Visited July 2013
Thank you so much for the thoughtful review! I want you to know that we appreciate the time you spent sharing your experience with the social media world. We rely on guests, such as you, to relay the message that we are tucked away in Irving waiting to take care of hungry visitors!

I enjoyed reading your review and I hope to see you again soon!

The margaritas will be ready and waiting.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Nice restaurant, great service, AWFUL food.”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I would only come back to this place for drinks. The service was awesome, the restaurant is nice but the food was below my expectations. Queso tasted like it was out if a can, or worse! Salsa was ok guacamole too.

Overall I would only go back if somebody else paid, even then I would be hesitant!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Anand P
Via R, Owner at Via Real Gourmet Mexican, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your response! I'm sorry to see that you didn't enjoy your meal. We always appreciate constructive criticism from our guests, thank you!

We all hope that you will stop by another time to try out some other items, I know we have something that will surely make your taste buds sing.

Until next time,

El Segundo, California
“$42 for a "special" is just a bit steep”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Reatuarant is filled with people/groups on expense accounts. The food is just okay - nothing gourmet in my mind. $42 for the two specials seemed way, way expensive. I am from California and we have Mexican food that could run circiles around this place. I do love the candles (this will make sense (scents) to those that have been there. Service was just okay. I did really like that the owner walked around to ask everyone about their meal - she was super nice.
I asked for hot sauce (tabasco) and had to wait way too long to get it - my meal had gotten cold waiting.

Visited September 2013
Via R, Owner at Via Real Gourmet Mexican, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback! We rely on our guests to share their experience with the world so that traveling guests can find us. I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t approve of the prices of the specials. They are usually seasonal products that our chef decides to put together (creatively) for our visitors’ enjoyment. Although we do offer several Tex-Mex options we specialize in our Southwest dishes, items such as our pecan crusted seabass and the flaming Red Oak smoked tenderloin.

As for the Tabasco, I am truly sorry that it took as long as it did to get to you. We usually do not get requests for it, I will see to it that it is within reach from now on again, I do apologize.

We hope that you will give Via Real a second try perhaps when in the mood for a good salmon dish or filet. Also, our Root candles will always be available for your nose to enojy- we are about to get our seasonal scents such as Pumpkin Latte and Crisp Autumn in!

-Fran

Been to Via Real Gourmet Mexican? Share your experiences!