“Different, Excellent and Friendly Family Owned Place!”
Review of Empa Mundo

Empa Mundo
Ranked #11 of 580 Restaurants in Irving
Cuisines: South American
Description: Empa Mundo is happy to bring Gourmet Argentinean empanadas to the metroplex! Come visit us for pleasant service and a delicious meal!! It's a super casual mom and pop spot, and we're BYOB, so bring a bottle or 6 pack with you if you'd like. See you soon!!
Arlington, Texas
“Different, Excellent and Friendly Family Owned Place!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I was told by some of my friends at work about this place and how good it was, so on my birthday, I decided that I wanted to go try it out! My husband, brother and I went and we really enjoyed everything. It is in a rather small place and the way you order, is to grab a menu and a pen and you just check off what you want and how many you want. There is a picture of each empanada with a description of what it is filled with. I had the Spinach & Cheese, The Humita with corn, onions, cheese and white sauce, the Guava & Cheese and the Criolla, with beef, onions, olives, raisins and eggs. My brother and husband each had about 4 as well. They really enjoyed The Cheesesteak ones the best! We couldn't eat everything that we had ordered, so we wound up taking most of them to go. We also wound up ordering some to go for some friends of ours who had watched our son the night before, as we were going to be picking him up afterwards. It was so nice to have something so different, yet so good for a change! This is just something that you don't see everyday. What is even better, all of this goodness for a mere $2.50 each!!

Now, on to the best part about this place...One of the owners, Miming!! She was the MOST friendly, helpful, sweet, funny ladies that I have ever met! She is very cute and charming and is originally from Indonesia! We had such a great time talking to her and getting to know her! I loved her laugh! Her husband, Raul, the other owner, was not in on that day, but she told us all about him and he is from Argentina. We could have sat there all day and chatted with her!! We had a very enjoyable time! We will without a doubt be returning to Empa Mundo again! How can you go wrong with such great service and with such a wonderful, different and great tasting food! Oh and she gave me the sweetest compliment, she told me that I was a very beautiful lady! Wow!! This place had me at "Welcome!" LOL!

• Visited May 2013

Tabernash, Colorado
“Authentic Argentine Empenadas in DFW!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

They have a great tasting selection of authentic Argentine style empenadas. It's a small place and the lady the was working when we stopped by was super friendly. The empenadas were delicious, what more can I say? If you want a good empenada, this is the place.

• Visited April 2013
Dallas, Texas
“All They Serve Are Empanadas, and They Do Them Well”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

All they serve here are empanadas, which are like turnovers but with a less flaky crust. Most of the empanadas on the menu are savory, similar to meat pies, but there are a few sweet ones. These are Argentinian empanadas, and are a little different than what you might be used to if you’ve only had Mexican ones. They are fried, rather than baked, and have a crisper, less heavy crust.

When we walked in, the owners greeted us and asked us if we’d eaten there before. Since we hadn’t, they explained the ordering system and showed us how large the empanadas are so we’d have an idea how many to order. To order, you mark your selections on a laminated card with a grease pencil.

There are twelve kinds of empanadas to choose from. They are cooked after ordering, so there is a little bit of waiting. When they are served, they come in individually labeled bags so you can tell which empanada is which. The empanadas come with a seasoned oil which, while good, I ended up not using because they were flavorful enough on their own. The only drinks they have available are in cans. I’d prefer refillable fountain drinks, but this does allow for a greater variety and I like that I can get ginger ale with my meal here. I haven’t found that very often in this part of the country.

They don’t skimp on the filling here. The empanadas were stuffed pretty full. I found that two or three were enough for me at one sitting At $2.50 each, this makes a pretty inexpensive meal. I liked the brisket the best among the savory options and the guava among the sweet ones.

The restaurant is located in a strip mall and is very small and narrow, but they’ve made it feel larger with mirrors along the side wall so it doesn’t feel cramped. It is by no means fancy, but it is cozy. There are only eight tables, but I noticed that they did a lot of to-go orders while we were there. While the menu is limited, the owners are nice, and the food is both inexpensive and good.

• Visited March 2013
Dallas, Texas, United States
“Best Empanadas in DFW”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Great Empanadas and great service. This shop is a family owned establishment that appreciates their customers. Try the Criolla or BBQ empanadas....they are great.

• Visited January 2013
dallas, texas
“Delicious and inexpensive taste of Argentina”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great mom-n-pop shop that's a quick drive from my office. Friendly staff and delicious empanadas and alfores (sandwich cookies) make having lunch there today a real treat.

I had the Criolo (eggs, olives, raisins + meat) in chicken and also beef, plus half of my husband's sweet potato empanada and was definitely full. My husband said the chorizo and the chilibazinga (I may have spelled the chili one's name wrong) were excellent and that the sweet potato one was like eating a slice of sweet potato pie. All of the empanadas are cooked to order and packaged in a little bag with a sticker that lists their ingredients so you know which one you're eating before you bite into it. The sauce was also very good on the savory empanadas. The restaurant is not very elaborate, but it is clean and comfortable. Service is fast and with a smile.

We were pretty excited to find this place since we enjoyed eating empanadas when we lived in Toronto and Empa Mundo did not disappoint. We'll definitely be back.

• Visited March 2013

Been to Empa Mundo? Share your experiences!