“Excellent Margaritas and Very Good Food”

La Margarita Mod Mex
Ranked #9 of 597 Restaurants in Irving
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our restaurant resonates with traditional Tex-Mex food lovers as well as those interested in a foodie’s interpretation of Modern Mexican.
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I was really impressed with this place. When I drove up it didn't look li, e much but when I walked through the door I was pleasantly surprised. The decor was cool, bright, and crisp. I had the ox eyes burrito (don't freak out, its a burritto with eggs in it) and it was really good. The salsa is served warm and it doesn't look like much but it is really good. They make a killer top shelf jalepeno margarita. Decent service and an overall very good experience.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Tried this restaurant upon suggestion of nearby hotel staff. Glad we did. It's a busy place -- definitely a local hang out. Many patrons, but we were seated quickly on a Saturday night. The chips were good, but the homemade salsa was quite spicy. Most of us enjoyed our meals, however one of my kids didn't like her food and the hostess quickly took it away for a another which was more to my child's liking. Ribs were dry, enchiladas were excellent, and the grilled quail was terrific. The chipotle mashed potatoes were also very good.

1  Thank Mrs K
Reviewed July 16, 2014

By far the best Mexican food in the area. Great top shelf margaritas!! Great lunch specials!! Great nachos!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

I despise writing negative reviews, but this place does NOT serve food.
For the record:
Two 'top shelf' with 3G Anejo
Chips & Salsa
Side of Queso
Steak Fajitas

Okay...the margarita was awesome. I give that a 5, easily. OUTSTANDING.

Salsa? Was hot and tasted of vinegar and burned/roasted tomatoes. Aside from that, nothing else. Cilantro? No. Garlic? No. Onion? No. Jalapeno? NONE. Salsa score: 0.
Queso? Thick with little cheese taste. A touch of heat. Flavor? Little to none. Queso score: 2.
Fajitas? Refried beans were pureed to death, so it was a pile of mush; -10 points for that. Pico looked beautiful; tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, onion, ...but no garlic to tie it in and/or it's bulk made because it was flavorless. Minor tho....the 'beef' was FLAVORLESS. Apparently these guys never heard of salt OR pepper...or CUMIN for that matter. The beef had zero flavor. NONE. I had to ask for a lime to squeeze over the top. Fajita score: -1

Overall, I give this place a 1. The food was poor, but the margarita was awesome; if you order top shelf with 3G Anejo. I'd go back for the drink, but absolutely NOTHING else.

Adrian D, Owner at La Margarita Mod Mex, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Thank you for your recent visit, as well as your opinion. I’m sorry you feel you had a bad experience. We’ve been in business 24 years, we serve thousands of customers a week, and we strive to create the best possible dining experience for the community. We wish you well in your future endeavors.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I recently discovered La Margarita, an ambitious Mexican restaurant in Irving. While La Margarita could have selected an upscale Irving location such as Las Colinas, they opted for a relatively nondescript shopping center on Belt Line Road near the Rochelle intersection. While La Margarita doesn't look like much from the outside, don't let its bland exterior deceive you.

In an excessively crowded Mexican restaurant marketplace, La Margarita distinguishes itself as "Mod-Mex", a modern take on familiar favorites. I had the New Mexico Stacked Enchiladas at lunch and it was a nice change of pace from the standard approach. This is a variation of what other places might refer to as Christmas enchiladas - with red and green chile sauce. This was one of the most authentic green chile sauces I've found yet in the Metroplex. (Those of you that are addicted to Santa Fe green chilies know exactly what I mean.) The enchiladas were hearty and light, with the fried egg adding a great counterpoint.

Lunch prices are in the $10 to $15 per person range, depending on what you order (more with beer or alcohol). But La Margarita is a welcome change of pace from the myriad of Dallas/Fort Worth Tex-Mex options, and worth the extra few bucks.

Interior design is simple but modern, with walls painted in bold solid colors - again, something you might find in New Mexico or even Mexico itself. The restaurant is not overly large, so I can imagine this getting fairly busy at times. Since it is part of a small strip shopping center, the parking lot is large and plentiful.

La Margarita's only downside - and the only reason it doesn't reach 5 stars - is the setting. The shopping center is bland, the restaurant is adjacent to a low-priced grocery store (Aldi), and there was no outdoor patio that I could see. If the outside doesn't matter to you, the food at La Margarita more than makes up for the lack of "exterior aesthetics". My hope is that La Margarita is successful so they are able to open additional locations while still retaining the quality of their food.

Well worth the time to seek out La Margarita.

Been to La Margarita Mod Mex? Share your experiences!