“Nice hotel staff, ok room”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham DFW Airport North
Ranked #58 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Los Angeles
“Nice hotel staff, ok room”
Reviewed December 16, 2007

The hotel staff are very helpful, quick check in
and room are clean.
The only thing I didn't like was the room I stayed
(don't know about other rooms) could hear next room
people's noise so much (walls are paper thin).
Just people are talking normal voice level and watching TV
I could hear them.

• Liked — Helpful hetl staff and clean room
  • Disliked — Noise I can hear from next rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
austin
Reviewed December 4, 2007

We stayed in this horrible hotel on 15 nov.It is on airport so we expect to be comfortable but it was really noisy,all the windows back towards the fedex loading area.Whole night we keep on hearing loading and unloading truks.We could not sleep a bit.The room did not have exta blanket or sheets for sofa bed. Although when booking we told them that 2 kids will be with us.It was the worst experience ever, we have never stayed in such a bad hotel.They should have some insulation in the walls, no one can sleep when truks are loading and unloading.Really bad experience.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — noisy
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank batooni
USA
Reviewed September 26, 2007

We stayed in this hotel the night before we had to fly out of DFW. The room was very clean, the bed was very comfortable and we couldn't hear any noise from other rooms. The breakfast was filling and the airport shuttle left at exactly the time we requested. You are also allowed to keep your car parked at the hotel while you are on a trip at no additional charge and then you just call the hotel when you return and the shuttle will come back and get you. I know many hotels offer this service, but a few don't and we liked the idea of paying one price for our room,breakfast and parking. The only complaint I have (and it is minor) is that the room is not a true 'suite'. We were alone so it was no big deal, but when we travel with our children we really need a true suite with two rooms that have walls and a door between.

• Liked — Clean & location
  • Disliked — Not a suite
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tradewinns
JAX,FLA,
Reviewed June 26, 2007

I was meeting my Son, and his Wife, at the hotel, no reservations,Their plane was hours late, i ask the deskclerk, could I stay till my Son, arrives, He said yes, and use our internet,have coffee,watch t,v, make yourself at home,,later food was served,they told me to eat free,, hours later my Family came in,we had wonderful rooms, no noise, great service, the shuttle was there on time, and carried us all around,i will stay there again while in Texas, Karen at the desk was a charm...Erma Eleazer,Jax,Fla.

Stayed June 2007
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 17, 2007

I booked myself for three nights while attending a conference at the Gaylord Grapevine.

My first two nights were so awful that I moved to the Hampton Inn for the third night.

The walls at this facility are dreadfully thin. On the first night I could hear the TV and the conversation of the guys staying in the room next to me. I went to sleep at midnight when they did and woke up at 5:30 when they did to catch their flight. On the second night a couple checked in around midnight, did what young couples do in hotels and then stayed up until 4:30 am. I, unfortunately, was up with them all night as well. I tried sleeping on the sofa. I eventually just turned on the TV to try and drown out the noise. I got sleep at 4:30 and had to miss several morning sessions at the conference.

The price is low compared to many other facilities around the northern section of the airport. But the low price is shown in the construction of the building and the location immediately adjacent to the airport.

Do not stay here if you want a good night's sleep

• Liked — proximity to airport and Gaylord Grapevine
  • Disliked — thin room walls
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Illinois
Reviewed February 19, 2007

Oh my - don't stay here if you can possibly avoid it! I selected this hotel because it was basically on airport property (I had a very early flight out the next a.m.), and because it offered shuttle service. I booked through hotels.com

First, when I checked in, I told the girl I needed the shuttle bus the next a.m. I was told that the shuttle did not begin running until 6 a.m., which was when my flight left. I needed to leave at 4:30 a.m. I had to book a cab. Ridiculous.

Then, the lighting in the room was terrible. More shadows than light.

Remote control for TV didn't work.

There were dead roaches on the floor of the kitchenette area when I checked in. When I got up the next a.m., there was a roach swimming in the toilet and a few crawling in the tub. I was aghast that some might have gotten in my luggage.

Any and every time I asked the one lone girl at the front desk (I think she wore all the hats there) for any information, she did not have it, couldn't possible help. Very unfriendly and unhelpful.

When I left the next morning, in my cab for $20 to go a few blocks to the airport, the shuttle drivers & their shuttle were there gabbing in the hotel lobby, but couldn't be of any use for another couple of hours!

Had I not been a woman alone, who had just turned in her rental car and had no wheels (which is why I chose this and their shuttle service in the first place!) I would have hightailed it out of there immediately.

I realize this was cheap, but come on. Cheap at what other cost? Never again!!!!!

• Liked — Location in regards to the airport
  • Disliked — Staff, shuttle service, cleanliness,
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Hosanna97
Spokane, WA
Reviewed January 21, 2007

I stay in this hotel fairly regularly on business. It's cheap - and you get what you pay for. I 100% agree with most of the previous posts.

The sheets are clean - but not fitted and not even big enough to cover the bottom mattress (or that joke mattress pad). I take my own fitted sheet now when I stay in this hotel.

Smoke - I am a non-smoker, and cannot stand the smell of smoke, but it seeps into the non smoking rooms through the vents in the bathrooms (which have no fans, by the way). You can actually see it coming into your room. If you run the shower for a half hour on cold, it helps dissipate the smoke. Also keep your bathroom door closed, maybe even put a towel on the gap at the bottom!

Elevator - Trust me - take the stairs. One alarming thing that I noticed a couple weeks ago was the "FIRE CALL" button was dangling out of the elevator - when I looked closer it wasn't even hooked up to the wires. Besides that - the elevator literally takes several minutes to get you from one floor to the next - I've never seen such a slow elevator in my LIFE. Take the stairs, it's good exercise. Or better yet - stay on the ground floor!

The doors to the rooms rarely fit correctly, one of them has a 1" gap towards the bottom. You can actually look out into the hall and see people going by - while your door is closed and locked. Needless to say there isn't much in the way of quiet in this motel.

The front desk staff (I use the term loosely) won't take up much of your time with conversation. In fact - they probably won't say more than "May I have your credit card" when you check in. Don't expect any small talk or chit-chat, that's just not their thing. Definately don't call down there after hours expecting an answer, either. If you need a wakeup call - set your cell phone or an alarm clock.

OK now for the good news: they will make you a good deal if you are going to be there a couple of days. Don't let them tell you that $139 is their best rate. You can stay for $75 or much less if you negotiate.

The breakfast is pretty good - if you don't mind eating with the employees. I personally don't really have a problem with that, but it can get a bit annoying when two or three of them are lined up ahead of you, and taking their sweet time as they rummage through the food.

In short - this hotel has a LOT of problems, but for the price and location (I'm in the aviation industry), it works well for me. I certainly would NOT bring my family to this hotel if we stay in Dallas. But for me on a business trip - it is just fine, now that I know how to prepare myself (bring sheets, tape for the vent in the bathroom... etc).

• Liked — The price.
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything else.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business