“Soft beds/pillows, lots of noisy kids during our stay”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites-DFW North
Ranked #26 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Abilene, Kansas
“Soft beds/pillows, lots of noisy kids during our stay”
Reviewed December 5, 2010

We stayed for one night during a layover at DFW. We took the free shuttle from the airport. When I called the hotel to request the shuttle, the front desk man was a bit gruff asking which gate I was at, and we waited longer than I expected, but it was fine considering it was free.

The beds and pillows were extremely soft and comfortable. It seemed clean, though I did find it strange that the lotion in the bathroom was half empty, as if it hadn't been replaced since the last guest. There also was only one bar of soap ... so it was a pain to switch from the shower to the sink. The room was spacious and well decorated with modern furnishings, except for a very 80s looking alarm clock.

We wish it was closer to some restaurants. There is a Whataburger down the way if you're willing to walk a bit, and the front desk referred us to the Sheraton across the highway. We ended up taking a cab to a steakhouse 4 or 5 miles away.

The biggest problem was that the hotel was overrun with a kids' cheer and football group. The children were running up and down the halls all night when we arrived. The next morning, the chaos started again ... as we left, we saw numerous doors open and parents letting the kids just roam. The lobby and elevators were also buzzing with small, unsupervised kids. Though I wish I'd complained to the management (I bit my tongue), I don't know how much good it would have done. It's not their fault, it's the parents.

Thank goodness our stay was only for one night!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wildcat2003
pdscho, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites-DFW North, responded to this review, December 7, 2010
We apologize about the noise during your stay. We had a large amount of people with children that weekend due to sporting events in the area and we tried to keep the noise down the best we could. We hope that you will give us another chance. We pride ourselves on our service and quality and providing outstanding accomodations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Warrenville, Illinois
Reviewed November 17, 2010

The Holiday Inn 800 number booked me on the wrong date. This hotel charged me a no-show fee despite it being an error by their reservations desk. The General Manager refuses to refund it and will only give me a credit to stay there at a different time.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
pdscho, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites-DFW North, responded to this review, December 3, 2010
We apologize about the issues you had concerning your no show. Our customer service is very important to us as is making sure our guests are 100% satisfied when a situation arises and matters are resolved quickly and fairly. All hotels have a cancellation policy. Please make sure when making a reservation that you understand the cancellation policies. Penalties can apply if you do not show up and the reservation was not cancelled. We at the Holiday Inn Express DFW North will continue to provide excellent service and a high quality product with no exceptions.
Ann Arbor
Reviewed September 3, 2010

I chose to stay here after a flight cancellation left me stranded in DFW. I think the hotel staff was struggling to keep up with the number of last-minute reservations but the hotel staff was harried (to put it nicely). When I called to request the free shuttle, it took several tries to reach them via phone. They were short with me when I called back (after waiting for a 1/2 hr) and suggested that maybe it was my fault that I hadn't caught the shuttle yet. The shuttle was really poor - but it was free. They had experienced some flooding on the first floor which wasn't cleaned up in the morning when I left. The internet and computers were slow. We didn't have a car so it was hard to get dinner - there wasn't anything within walking distance. The rooms were fine - just kind of sparse and oddly-arranged. It wasn't what I was used to after staying at other lovely Holiday Inn Expresses.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Be ware of this hotel and it's managemt. Stayed there for couple of days terriable shuttle service and had to wait in the airport for hours because they do not have their own shuttle van. It's a contracted service and it happed to fish out pople from the airport at different terminal and then it takes another one hour to drop every one else.
I will not recommended at to corporate America at all. On the other hand shuttle left early because they were full for which i requested for a cab that morning. Cab came in less than 5 min as if the cab was just waiting behind the hotel. When arrived at the destination in was charged $35 dollars by the cabis which I know for sure was at-least 10 dollar over than regular fair. 10 dollar is not the problem but the fact that u had to pay the cab because of the inefficient shuttle service

• Stayed September 2010
texas
Reviewed June 2, 2010

I Picked the Holiday Inn because they offered free parking for up to 14 days with one nights' stay. (It was cheaper for the hotel stay then it would have been to park at the airport.) I was flying to Europe and was to be gone for 12 days. My flight did not get back until 9pm and then I had a 4 hour drive so I was in need of a hotel when I got back anyway. I was able to park at the Holiday Inn before my actual stay with no hassle what-so-ever. The shuttle service was very convenient, took only 5 minutes to get to the airport, and was at the airport to pick me up 10 minutes after I called. The place was clean, the beds were comfortable and the free breakfast made for a nice morning. The only complaint I have is that the curtains were not black out and I woke up far too early because of the light.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank jlayneTexas
Clearwater Beach, FL
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We arrived late (1 am) into Dallas after rental car issues. Took the car to the dropoff and called the hotel. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful in getting us to the hotel using the shuttle. Yes it is a contract service, but in our case it worked well. Great property, very good breakfast, comfortable beds.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Beware! This hotel claims to have shuttle service to/from DFW and technically they do, however, the shuttle service is not their own service and it is 1 small mini-van they contract with to service the entire DFW airport. What they don't tell you when you book is that the shuttle can take up to 30 minutes to arrive to pick up/drop off. When I landed at 11:00pm, they told me it would be their in 30 minutes, it arrived almost a full hour after I called. I could have walked to hotel in less time, let alone taken a very inexpensive cab ride, had I known!!!

Also, the hotel rooms are old and dingy. They have renovated the lobby area, but that is all. I will not be staying here again! Take it from someone who spends over 100 nights a year on the road, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business