“Excellent property, gigantic rooms, delicious breakfast”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Dallas / Irving / Las Colinas
Ranked #45 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Below are my reviews for this property, on a scale of 1-5. The suites are very, very large and spacious.

Hotel Location 3
Décor 5
Average 4.80

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed November 18, 2011

When I first drove up to this property I was very much impressed. The hotel sits on a hilly piece of property and they have done well to match the architecture to the landscape. Access into the property was very easy if approaching from the south but when you leave the property, there is a divided road and you have to do a little bit of winding around to get back to the highway. A minor inconvenience.

My chief complaint was the construction of the rooms. Don't know if this is true for all rooms but I was on the second floor and could hear the phone conversation in the room above me. The following morning, the guest above me got up at 4:00 a.m. and I was really surprised at how easily I could hear him walking around. A little noise does not bother me but this was really loud. Of course, whenever he flush the toilet and when he took a shower, I could have sworn he was in the room with me. Unfortunately, there is nothing to be done about this now.

My biggest recommendation would be to ask for a quite room when you check in. I'm sure there are other rooms that work better together.

On a positive note - there are several good restaurants within walking distance from this hotel. There is also a lake that provides a great place to jog or take a walk.

I thought that because of the airport there might be some noise from there but this property is a long way from DFW.

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room or a top floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Garland T
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights for business reason.
I got an equipped appartment which was clean and very functional: 2 TVs, kitchen, confortable bed, very calm and silent environment.
The staff was kind and helpful, only area to be improved is the breakfast, which was too basic and simple like in the 1 star motels.
There are many restaurants around the area, but it's a little too far from Dallas downtown.

Overeall, I would recomment this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a separate suite or apartment
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank remobor1
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This property has an outdoor-based room set-up, in that you get to your room from the front lobby by walking outside. You can park in front of your building, or near the main entrance. There are a lot of rooms scattered into about six different buildings. All are a short walk, but the grounds have an elevation change, so depending on where your room is, you may need to use the stairs near the outdoor pool to get back to the lobby. Each building requires a key card to enter. Service is good, the full breakfast works well, and there is a light dinner served M-Th, complimentary. The rooms are standard Homewood Suites with all the usual amenities. I saw mostly business travelers throughout. It can be a little tricky to find off TX-114 - it's somewhat "between exits" off the highway. There are some small restaurants and shops within a short walk.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Googin
Reviewed October 3, 2011

My family stays at Homewood Suites frequently - it is our lodging of choice when we travel - so I have a fairly good idea of what is (and is not) expected at these properties.

This trip, I noticed immediately that our room (228) was lacking a small bottle of dishwashing liquid (which I needed and had expected to be there, hence the reason I didn't pack it) and also dishwasher detergent, so I was forced to purchase some from a local store.

The room itself was relatively clean - black fingerprint smudges on walls and doors which I wiped away, but otherwise it seemed tidy. There was some black mildew in the caulk around the shower, which was disappointing. A ceiling fan in the bedroom worked a little too well, drying out our sinuses and throats each night to the point of making the room painfully dry.

There were four of us staying in the room for four nights. For whatever reason, housekeeping left us barely enough towels each day. I made a call one afternoon down to the front desk requesting additional pillows and shampoo (they were only leaving us one small bottle per day) and was assured they'd send those right up, but never did. Finally I left a note tacked to the bathroom mirror and our request was filled.

We had a problem with the toilet in our room. The first two days, it was making weird noises as it filled. The next day it began running non-stop. And by our final night, it was leaking from the top of the tank. On our final morning while I was in the lobby, I stopped by the front desk and let them know about the leak, advising that they should have someone fix that AFTER we checked out. After this, we walked directly back to the room (made it there within 5 minutes) and opened the door to be met by a workman exiting our room - despite the fact that we had the privacy sign on our door, as we'd left our valuables there while we ate breakfast in the lobby. This bothered me greatly. It's as though the front desk clerk completely disregarded what I was saying to her. Very rude. The toilet was fixed, but couldn't it have waited an hour until we checked out?

The breakfast buffet was lackluster. The eggs were not good (even my 9-year-old asked what was wrong with them) and most of the breads and bagels were stale. I stopped my youngest child from eating a cup of Yoplait yogurt he had selected for breakfast, as it was a week past its printed expiration date. The selection of boxed cereals was exactly 3 brands.

The location of this property - in lovely, clean Las Colinas, and adjacent to the freeway - is excellent. There is plenty of shopping and dining a few miles up the freeway.

A good stay, just not a great one.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
LCDuck, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dallas / Irving / Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2011

We are sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues in your room and will work with our staff to ensure this does not happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed September 17, 2011

Located right off the expressway. We had a two bedroom suite for our family. (2 connecting rooms) I loved the fact we were able to have that a such a good rate. All of the electronics and appliances were newer models. The furniture and carpeting is a little outdated and the air conditioning unit was noisy, however, these were minor issues and our overall stay was comfortable. The staff was very pleasant. Upon returning home we realized a pair of shoes were forgotten. The general manager located them and shipped them to us at no charge. Wonderful spacious suites at this location and we will stay there again when we return to the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I arrived early around 2 PM on Sunday before the official check-in time of 3 PM, but the hotel clerk on duty was most accomodating in allowing me to check in early. The hotel is an older property, probably around 20 years old, but well maintained.

Very different layout from any Homewood Suites I've stayed previously, and I've stayed at many around the country. The hotel consists of five separate buildings around a courtyard with pool. A couple of the buildings are 2-3 levels in the more traditional Homewood style with interior hallways and elevators, but several of the buildings, including the one I stayed, have exterior stairs and entrances with a lot of stair climbing involved. To get to the building containing the lobby and dining area you have to go outside with a short walk and stairs to climb.

Pros:
- Huge suite, I would estimate approximately 900 square feet for the one I had with two double beds in a separate bedroom, separate bathroom, and separate large living room with fireplace and kitchen. I certainly didn't need the fireplace in August in Dallas, but it might be nice in January.
- Complete kitchen with full-size refrigerator with ice maker, dishwasher, sink, 2-burner stove, and microwave.
- Wall-mounted easy-to-use thermostat to control the central heat/AC unit. Much quieter than some hotels with a noisy window-style unit right next to the bed.
- Clean quiet rooms with flat-screen TV's with good selection of channels
- Free wired Internet access
- Free on-site parking
- Complimentary daily breakfasts are also a plus, with rotating menu items including bacon, scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, waffles, cold and hot cereal, fruits, yogurt, and a variety of beverages.
- Complimentary light dinner with beer and wine (Monday - Thursday). I ate there most evenings simply for the convenience after a long day at work, although I did venture out one night for a steak dinner at Texas Land and Cattle about a 10 minute drive away
- Good choice of other nearby restaurants, including several within easy walking distance on Las Colinas Blvd

Cons:
- Lots of stairs to get from the parking lot to the room I was assigned with no elevator. Mostly an aggravation when moving luggage to/from room, although when it rains it would certainly be a nuisance too.
- Outside entrances to some rooms, but it seems like a very safe area and I never felt that security was an issue.

To sum up, I already have plans to stay there again in one week, but I will probably ask for a room in the one of the buildings with an elevator to facilitate luggage handling.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business