“It Meets Basic Needs - But Could Do With Improvement”

Residence Inn Dallas DFW Airport North/Irving
Ranked #51 of 79 Hotels in Irving
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one week, and my review is based on my daily experiences.

This hotel is very close to the airport with quick and easy access to I-635, TX 114, and TX 161. It is also very quick and convenient to get to the Los Colinas business district. The hotel really is centrally located in the DFW metroplex.

STAFF MEMBERS:
Out of several interactions with staff members, only one worker was pleasant and professional. He literally went out of his way to be of service. The rest of the staff left a lot to be desired as they were very curt, and at times, blatantly rude.

HOTEL ROOM:
My room (a 1 bedroom suite with living room and kitchen) was nice enough and met all basic needs. The bedroom and bathroom were clean, however, the living room had not been cleaned very well (there was a little bit of trash and a soda lid on the floor) and neither had the kitchen. The table had a food residue on it (which easily came off when I used a clean rag), and several of the dishes had not been cleaned. Also, the few dishes in the cupboard were VERY basic and quite old. Several of the cooking utensils were beginning to rust.

On a positive note, the bed was quite comfortable with plenty of pillows, and the shower had good pressure and plenty of hot water. The room had lots of available lighting and did not feel dark or dingy. I did not hear very much noise from any other guests. In fact, I would say that my entire stay was very quiet and calm.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
This hotel is DIRECTLY under the flight path for planes landing on 17L at DFW (or taking off on 35R). The landing/takeoff noise starts around 6:45am and doesn't really taper off until about 11pm. When the larger planes are landing, you can quite literally feel the noise.

SUMMARY:
If you are looking for a basic hotel that offers a small kitchenette and is conveniently located close to the DFW airport, this would be a good choice. With some staff attitude adjustments, better cleaning, and better kitchenware, I would have happily given it a higher rating.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the backside of the hotel - it will be quieter. Esters Blvd is a busy street wi...
1  Thank MikeThePilgrim

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We knew that the drive of 25 miles through heavy construction from Fort Worth to a birthday party at an Irving Country Club was perilous. Not wanting to make the return trip after the party, we decided to check out Priceline.com. We got a very spacious room just a short hop away from the party on low-traffic streets. The room had a queen bed and a fold-out couch for $60. It was well worth the money!
They put us close to the lobby (liked that); so we just took a very short trip to the breakfast which was very good. Excellent assortment of pastries, juices, milk, pancakes, eggs and sausage, biscuits and gravy......all very good. All was very clean and the staff was quite helpful and courteous. The drive back home was so easy on a Sunday morning compared to what it is like on Saturday night....we were so glad we stayed at the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rhoward48
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was stranded at the airport for a night and chose this location. Despite a terrible flight experience and challenges with the hotel shuttle ending too early, the staff more than made up for my frustrations - They CARED about the problems, took care of me with genuine concern, and went above and beyond the call of duty. I had a super early morning flight and the shuttle was not running - but because there were 4 of us, they chose to actually run an early shuttle. In this day and age, I will take a slightly older hotel with a staff that cares over a brand new room anyday! The one caution I would offer is that this hotel has two seperate buildings, one for the office and breakfast and a second for rooms - so you do have to go outside to get to your room. Not my favorite situation but I promise I will return here anytime I have a night at the airport.

2  Thank PinkDragonPrincess
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My colleagues & I have often stayed here on business trip but I think it's time this place gets a major facelift. Room carpeting needs to be changed, bathroom sink drains very slowly as well as the bathtub. I came back to my room one afternoon during lunch and found my room half made with all my pillows scattered on the floor. It just makes me wonder how often the pillows get changed if they're being thrown on the floor by housekeeping. Breakfast menu also needs to be updated. Same boring breakfast menu is served everyday. Please add some strawberry jelly also and bacon. I consider this entity a sub par status for a Marriott brand hotel!!!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed here at the last minute after crappy American Airlines couldn't find a pilot for our flight. Aa offered vouchers to a motel 6 and a Ramada but knowing what I know about this area, there's no way I'm spending even a free night there. So I took a shot with paying for the residence inn. All we needed was a comfy bed and a shower. Shower was a little run down, but other than that, we were too tired to notice anything to not like. It was comfortable and that's all I needed. Alas, in and around DFW airport is not the best neighborhoods but it sufficed...kudos though too the night girl at the front desk and the shuttle to the airport. Nice parts to the place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place is in serious need of renovation. Torn carpets, tack strips showing, old caulking three or four layers deep, same breakfast menu daily. Staff is OK but often rooms are not cleaned promptly for those already staying.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here for 3 weeks. Generally you get what they offer! Very comfortable and spacious room. Free internet and breakfast and shuttle to anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel.
The restaurant food in the hotel was generally very good.
In house launderette(nice and clean) was very handy.
The hotel is well run and the room was impeccably clean.
Small niggles here and there are inevitable over 3 weeks, but I will go back without a doubt.

Room Tip: A low number room on any floor guarantees you are far from the elevators.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business