New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Could be Better (Grand Hyatt), Could be Worse (Hotel Bedford Plaza)” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Marriott

Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Marriott
Ranked #20 of 78 Hotels in Irving
Santiago, Chile
“Could be Better (Grand Hyatt), Could be Worse (Hotel Bedford Plaza)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have stayed at two other Dallas/Fort Worth airport hotels, and this is one falls somewhere between them. The Marriott could have better (Grand Hyatt), and it could have been a lot worse (Hotel Bedford Plaza). The Marriott could also have been more expensive (Grand Hyatt), or cheaper (Hotel Bedford Plaza).

This was a planned overnight layover at DFW, since I departed the West Coast on Friday afternoon. I landed just before 9pm and immediately called for the shuttle. After about 20 rings, the call was answered and the apologetic associate advised that the shuttle would arrive in 25-30 minutes. Hoping that this was a worst-case scenario, I exited baggage claim and embraced the cool Texas evening. Well, the shuttle arrived as advertised – 26 minutes after my call. Fortunately, mine was the last stop, and I entered the hotel lobby 5 minutes later. Unfortunately, I was third in line for check-in, and there was only one front desk associate. He was very efficient, but the total toll from gate to room was 45 minutes – longer than I would hope for an airport hotel.

Once inside the room, I was pleasantly surprised by the layout. I entered through a short corridor. The closet was on the immediate left, and then the bathroom was the second door. After passing the bathroom entrance, the room opened up. There was an ottoman, couch, work area, and a king-sized bed. The couch looked a bit tired, but the rest of the furnishings were in good condition. The customary Marriott look and amenities were in place – bed-side lights, reading lamps, and flat screen television. The bathroom featured a shower tub. I am pleased to report that the water pressure and temperature were excellent. Outside of the aging couch, my only complaint with the room was the location. The room was just steps from the elevators, and an exuberant group woke me up at 2:15am as they completed their nightcap. I was initially concerned about the aircraft noise, but since the room faced East, but it was a non-issue. The ideal room would be facing East away from the elevators.

Prior to my morning flight, I had just enough time for a quick run. I passed the indoor pool and hot tub enroute to the health club. The hot tub was closed for repair. There were a few other exercise enthusiasts at 6am but still three open treadmills. The gym was spacious. In addition to the five treadmills, there were also stationary bicycles and elliptical machines. Refrigerated waters were also available as well as sanitary wipes – both of which are very much appreciated.

Finally, I am a Marriott Platinum member and often select Marriott hotels because of the concierge lounge access. I assume that this hotel’s concierge lounge is closed on the weekends, but I am not quite sure. The front desk did not mention the lounge, and I was too tired to inquire when I reached my room. It would have been helpful if the associate had proactively addressed lounge access.

In summary, the Marriott was $60 cheaper than my preferred DFW hotel, the Grand Hyatt. Since I was only at the hotel for 10 hours, I could not justify the extra cost of the Grand Hyatt. In retrospect, I stand by this statement, but it’s not just a passing thought. The Marriott is a more economical full-service option, but the tradeoff is proximity to the airport.

Pros: Full-service hotel 5-10 minutes from DFW terminals once in shuttle, standard Marriott in-room look and amenities, well-equipped health club

Cons: Shuttle wait approached 30 min, no information about concierge lounge

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank scl44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

As an airport hotel, it's great; as a business hotel it's fine. The DFW Airport Marriott may not be a good family hotel, but it's great if you're coming in for a conference. There is a pool and a workout room, but due to its location in a business/industrial park area, this is not a location where the family could fend for themselves while you're in meetings. I did spot one lonely Subway sandwich shop across the street, but you'd need a car to get to any other restaurants or shopping outside the hotel. There is a Hertz rental car desk in the lobby. But the airport shuttle seems to work well, if you plan to fly in to DFW. It's always available, and there's an airline gate departure electronic board behind the Hertz desk, as well as a computer that will print your boarding pass, so you don't have to wait for an available computer in the business center.

The lobby/bar combo is busy in the evening, standing room only when conferences are at the hotel. There's a mail drop and an ATM just to the right of the check in desk. Lobby bathrooms are to the right and behind the lobby bar.

The large rooms are typical very nice Marriott, and extremely nice as far as airport hotels go! The hotel fact sheet says there are robes in the bathrooms, but I certainly didn't find one, nor a shower cap. Bed headboard did have a reading lamp attached. Ice machines located toward the end of each hallway. I usually really like the ultra soft Marriott beds, but this time I couldn't find the right pillow, so I didn't sleep well. I did hear planes in the early morning, but the sound was so muted, it was more like white noise. Not an issue.

There is free wifi in the lobby, though not in the rooms or conference rooms, unless your conference purchased that option. For me, this was disappointing as I couldn't access my bedtime reading book on my IPad! However, on Friday, wifi suddenly popped up free in all areas. I didn't know if that's a weekend thing, or if it was just a fluke.

Plenty of free parking surrounding the hotel.

The hotel is near the north airport entrance, so if you're driving in from Dallas, you can go west on Northwest Hwy to Hwy 114. Go north on 114 to Freeport Parkway. The hotel is on the corner. If you are highway phobic, you can always take Royal Lane west to Freeport Parkway, and the hotel is about one block to the left of that intersection. Just be prepared to crawl through the many business park areas common in the west part of Las Colinas.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel, lots of marble floors, stairs, counters. Clean bathrooms. Lots of business conducted in the lobby. But not special with thoughtful touches, and not much here for families.

Room Tip: Seventh floor is a women-only floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jamie-SoloTraveler
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I had the pleasure of staing here for a work trip. Since I am celiac, I needed to do some planning. I worked with the event planner Caroline, Adam the executive Chef and the dining Management Stephen and Claus. They were awesome!! I was given 4 star treatment and my colleagues were super jealous of the Suprise desserts I received! It was awesome to not have to worry about my food and could be more productive because of it!

• Stayed January 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a short drive or shuttle ride from the airport. Very nice room. Good workout and pool area. Food was pretty good with a couple of choices. Stayed here for bussiness. Clean room with nice shower.

• Stayed February 2013
Carthage
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

1st time, didn't know what to expect. Someone to help you at every turn. no free breakfast guess cause of the restaurants. Food was ok not excellent. Rooms were nice but no fridge or microwave. For that amount of money you would think there would be one in the room. Only free wifii was in the lobby. That was disapointing. The people there were very nice. Guess just used to getting more for our money. If it had not been part of a convention probably would not have stayed there.

Room Tip: Don't get by the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank DonnaCarthage_Tx_
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Marriott DFW North the week of January 22, 2013. The entire hotel is clean and staff is very attentive. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were good. Crosswind restaurant has a good variety of American food. The fitness center opens at 5:30 am but upon request they can open earlier. Treadmill get busy if you're there after 6 am, so be there early!
I ended up taking an outdoor run around the hotel which seems to be safe and easy to run on the sidewalk.
Overall a good stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The main reason I reserved a room at this hotel was because we were arriving late and did not want to rent a car until the next day. The hotel was close to the airport and offered free shuttle services and had a Hertz rental car facility on-site. We decided to pay a little extra for the room to take advantage of the buffet breakfast. The breakfast was wonderful. Anything you wanted from homemade omelets to waffles and fresh fruit. The breakfast wait staff was extremely friendly. There was one gentleman, sorry I can't remember his name, that had a wealth of information regarding things to see in the area. They should promote him to concierge! We did not have time to use the fitness area or pool but did check them out since we will definitely stay here again. There was only two things that I feel I need to comment on. The first one was that there was no safe in the room. I found this surprising because some other hotels that I stayed at that were not as nice as this property had safes. The other thing is to better educate the front desk personnel. When I asked them for directions to an attraction they never heard of it and instead of checking the internet, they called the bell hop for assistance. I also asked them where the entrance was for the steak house and they told me that it was closed but the restaurant that was next to them had the same menu. Well, the steak house was open and the food was extremely good. We did check out the restaurant next to them and their menu was not the same.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irving
The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport
Hyatt Regency DFW
#23 of 200 in Dallas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,876 reviews
Sheraton DFW Airport Hotel

Been to Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!