“Naples in Texas”

Dining options: Delivery
Description: Pizzeria Napoletana
“Naples in Texas”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I really enjoy DOC, Pizza Napoletana. There are more than 260 certified World Wide, of which Cavalli Pizza is one. In the US, I would put it in the top 5 that I have been to (2 Amy's and Marco's still have the first two spots.). The crust and sauce are perfectly made and taste like a Naples made pizza. The cheese is very good and the entire pizza is expertly cooked. Cavalli's lacks atmosphere, but the pizza is worth the trip.

Galloway, New Jersey, United States
“Great Pizza in Texas”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Let me begin by admitting that I'm a bit of a pizza-snob from South Jersey. I had no idea what my favorite food would be like in Texas but my hopes were not high. I could not have been more pleasantly surprised. At Cavalli you place your order at the register and sit at a table for it to be served. A simple arrangement that makes for a casual atmosphere. There are only soft drinks on the menu but you can bring your own beer or wine. One of the ingredients listed on the menu that caught my eye was San Marzano tomatoes - a very good sign.

The menu is simple too. There were a few Italiann cuisine items but we focused on 12" pizzas baked in their wood-fired oven. The beauty of a wood fired brick oven is that the concentration of heat makes it possible to bake quickly at very high temperatures. This dough cooks in 2 minutes or less. Cavalli's pizza was freshly made and came to the table in less than 15 minutes.

This outer crust was not a ring of dense, spongy dough under slightly toasted skin. Instead it was a light, airy bread center inside a tasty, crispy, bubbled, almost-a-little-burnt-on-the-surface crust. Delicious enough to make me consider eating the pie from the outer edge toward the center.

I ordered a Margherita pizza ($10) which was just as it should be - not heavy with cheese and sauce but just enough so that you could taste each ingredient - with fresh basil leaves baked on top. I also tasted a "hot" pizza ($12) with slices of fresh jalapenos and sopresetta - a spicy combination. Again - the pizza had just enough of each ingredient to make for a very tasty and enjoyable meal.

This was really excellent pizza in a clean, friendly, casual atmosphere at a very fair price.

The only complaint I could make - and it's a small one - is that the dining room was one of those places where every sound bounces around the room - making for a pretty noisy environment. A small point against so many positives. Thanks to Cavalli's I now know where to get great pizza in Texas.

1 Thank Josh L
Enid, Oklahoma
“Best pizza ever”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Ate at Cavalli's for the first time on a recent trip to Dallas. Wonderful pizza! Different than anything else I have had before. It was GREAT! Would recommend this to anyone traveling to Dallas.

Visited May 2013
Wichita Falls, Texas
“Fantastic food and service!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This place was fantastic! The food was great (ordered calamari, fried zucchini, and pizza) and the service was very good as well. It was a bit smaller than I expected, but I liked the fact that there was outside seating, as the weather was very nice. They do not serve alcohol, but you can BYOB. We ordered a pizza and calamari, so were a little surprised when the waiter brought fried zucchini as our appetizer. I told him we had ordered calamari, but told him not to worry and that we would just take the zucchini. A few minutes later, the manager (or possibly owner) came out and was very apologetic. He brought a dish of calamari and said it was on the house (along with the zucchini) for the mix up. We got there only 30 minutes before they closed, but the staff let us stay about 30 minutes after closing (we were outside) while they cleaned up.
Absolutely fantastic food and staff - highly recommend!

1 Thank Clint494
Johnstown, Colorado
“Agree with the positive reviews”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

So, I found this place because it was a) close to where I was staying and b) ranked highly on local blogs. I first thought the pizza may be to large (12"), but the size was perfect, the taste...spot on. It was a toss between this place and Grimaldi's (which would have been a few dollars more for the same order ($13 for 2-topping pizza and soda)) and I'm glad I made this choice.

• Visited May 2013

Been to Cavalli Pizza? Share your experiences!