“Not too Great”

Atrium Hotel & Suites, DFW Airport South
Ranked #48 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Reviewed May 1, 2009

It is a very small property close to the DFW airport. Since, I had some business to attend to in Irving area, I chose this on Radisson website. However, the property is in a rather secluded area and only has some other hotels near it.

A 2-way shuttle service from the hotel to the shopping area was a saving grace for evenings.

Not very comfortable to stay here due to:
1. a very small bar which was almost always packed.
2. Lack of good places to eat inhouse or close by.
3. the shop in the property has very little to offer - even cigarettes were not available.

would not want to come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Atrium Hotel & Suites, DFW Airport South

Reviewed April 23, 2009

I loved the service I received. Human resource manager Edith at the front desk has demonstrated the most professional behavior upon my arrival. I have never met a customer service representative that would go out of her way to accomodate the customer. Loved this hotel, room was big and bed very comfortable. Every necesity was in the room. How many rooms come with fridge and microwave? I was blown away by the service I received compared to the price I paid! Thank you Edith.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We are from NC State University and came to DFW Radisson to hold a meeting with area teachers. We wanted to impress the teachers. We also do a lot of traveling and rely on good service. Generally Radisson is very good. This one is NOT.

First of all, we reserved the most expensive rooms we could. I am primary investigator on this grant, and paid over $500 for a one night stay and the two hour rental of a conference room. I was stuck next to the ice machine overlooking the HVAC equipment out the window. The room was large but not well put together. For example, the bathroom was tiny, and there was a small kitchenette, but there was not light in the kitchenette, nor a window, so it was not terribly useful.

AS we had rented the conference room and were in a meeting until noon, I asked the manager for late checkout for me. He gruffly said "We can't do that" and hung up on me.

We accidentally left a power cord for our laptop projector back in NC. It was a common power cord, and so we asked the manager if he had one. His only response was "not on me." That is decidedly unhelpful.

As for aesthetics, the web site looks better than the building. It's under freeway off ramps, the restaurant is something to be avoided (there were only three couples there at 7 PM when we went to eat, and it took forever to get service. Took at least 2 hours for a simple meal, and the ambiance was underwhelming.

I will stay at other properties but never again at this one. I suggest you avoid it as well.

The manager was decidedly surly and unhelpful.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2009

My family and I stayed 3 nights and our stay was great from start to finish. The only thing we didn't like is that breakfast was an additional cost; however, we were not mislead into thinkning it came with the room. The room was very spacious and the bed/pillow just could not be beat. Very friendly staff and the pool was as a very comfortable temperature. If ever in the area again, this would be the hotel of our choice. Don't be had by the negative comments. We almost canceled our reservations because of negative comments. Boy that would have been a mistake!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I don't know why so many negative reviews but I just stayed at this airport because I had a connecting flight that didn't leave until the next morning. I did get my great price thru Priceline as others have said, but it I had to do it again, I would pay a few extra dollars to book this hotel. Upon arriving at DFW, I called the hotel and was told where to meet the shuttle van. In less than 10 minutes I was at the front desk checking in with no problems. I had asked the van driver about restaurants in the area and he told me that he could drive me to any of the ones nearby. After checking in and putting my bags away, my 3yr old and I went to eat at a very reasonably priced Panda BBQ chinese buffet. After that we walked thru the lot to Walmart and picked up some things. After about 90 mins we called the hotel and the shuttle van came back and picked us up. Not only did I get a good price I didn't have to rent a car for the day.
As for the room it was spacious and clean, however I didn't see any control for a sleep number bed so I will assume I didn't get one. My wireless internet worked fine and my son was able to watch his train videos on youtube. This brings me to my only negative experience at the hotel. While napping my son had an accident and soiled the bed slightly. I had gone downstairs to get a soda (machine took my money but hotel gave me the soda from the rest.) and reported to the front desk that my son had soiled the duvet and I had removed it. I wanted to make sure that it got changed the next day. They told me they would send someone up to change the entire bedding which they did. While the housekeeper was in the room a man stuck his head in and looking at the housekeeper said "excuse me I can hear him". The housekeeper looked at me and then back to him and he repeated to her that he could hear my 3 yr old. Never did he address me, so I looked at the clock and asked what time was it. When I saw that it was 7:30, I told him that my son went to sleep at 10 and he would just have to deal with it. Had he been different in his approach, I would have told him that I would try to keep my son a little more quite. However my son wasn't nearly making as much noise as he usually does. He was just laughing at youtube and commenting on the trains.
The only other thing I wasn't crazy about was the location of the pool and the hottub. Right there in the open of the atrium just wasn't cool to me but since I didn't plan on using it, not much of a problem.
All said, this was a great hotel, with friendly and helpful staff, clean spacious rooms and a good location. And for those who complained about the noise of the planes, you should probably rethink staying at a hotel near the airport!!!!

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed February 17, 2009

This hotel has extremely friendly employees. We stayed here one night before catching a flight to Mexico. The hotel allows you to leave your car parked there for free if your trip is less than a week. Also, there is a free shuttle to/from DFW. The hotel desperately needs to be renovated. I felt like it was simply dirty from all of the use over the years. The plus is there are a huge array of restaurants within 5 miles.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2009

First, a caveat: I purchased this hotel on Priceline and got a pretty good deal. So, for me, the value of the hotel still outweighed any problems; however, anyone who paid rack rate for this hotel also received a slap in the face.

With that said, spotty problems in quality and service still left a dent in my experience here. When I arrived, I waited for over 10 minutes at an empty front desk while I could hear one of the associates typing away at a computer just around the corner of my reach of vision. To add to frustration, the front desk associate didn't seem to have a clue what he was doing and that further delayed the process.

Once I got to my room, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that not only was the room enormous, it was also clean and the TV worked. Great. I also discovered a mini-bar with a small dorm fridge, a microwave, and a coffee maker. Score. The carpet and furniture were clean and modern, and the TV was standard.

Unlike previous reviews, the wireless internet worked fine for me, so unless you're going to be using it for illegally downloading movies or something you'll be fine.

The Radisson "Sleep Number" bed was very comfortable and albeit gimmicky-sounding, I enjoyed the adjustable comfort and actually got a good night's sleep.

Unfortunately, my biggest complaint came in the morning when I got up to use the shower. Not only was there a giant scary insect in the bathroom to greet me (It was so big I had to kill it before I felt like I could shower lest it attack me), but the shower drained improperly. Therefore, I spent theduration of my shower standing in 3-4 inches of ever-increasing tepid water. Not fun. At least the water pressure was great!

In all, I'd say the problems with quality and service were definitely in line from what I'd expect from an airport hotel (i.e. okay but not great) and I probably wouldn't stay here again if it were my choice.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)