“Terrible internet, refrigerators are dorm room style, other stuff ok”

Atrium Hotel & Suites, DFW Airport South
Ranked #46 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Reviewed September 30, 2008

spent 11 days at this hotel. the worst thing was the internet. it was very very slow even in the business center and the WIFI was slow as well. never saw anything faster than 1 MBPS. biz center did have free printing which was nice.

the in room refrig was dorm room style, but only big enough for a few leftovers. the bar/atrium is very nice and free happy hour every wed [free beer!]. the resteraunt was also very nice.

i liked the sleep number beds. everything was quite clean. plenty of space in the room.

-joebez

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed September 1, 2008

I was hesitant to stay at this hotel after reading some of the other comments. However, I was quite impressed with my stay and walked away happy.

I have had problems, especially recently, with hotels trying to sell things, often at the expense of having a usable refrigerator in the room. At the Radisson, there was nothing in the room for sale.

Our room was spacious, clean, quiet, and comfortable. The staff was among the friendliest I have encountered. There are 2 freeways bordering the hotel as well as the flight path out of DFW, but you won't be able to tell once inside the room.

The carpet could use updating, but it's not as horrific as people claim. Yes, you will smell the chlorine from the swimming pool in the lobby, but it's really not a big deal at all.

In short the hotel is:

-FREE INTERNET
-AWESOME BED (SelectComfort)

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We booked this through Park,Sleep, and Fly, through which we have had excellent accommodationsin the past. This was not the case with the Radisson. The hotel appears to be a renovated Holidome with an indoor pool that produced a mold/mildew smell. The restaurant is no longer open during the evenings. In spite of it being a smoke free hotel, the room we had smelled strongly of smoke. The fire alarm went off twice during the night, resulting in our being dragged from our beds and standing in the lobby for quite some time. The only response from the hotel staff was a half-hearted "Oh, yea, sorry about that." when we checked out. Not Radisson's finest hour. Would I stay there again? Not unless everything else in DFW was booked.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank texascruiser
Reviewed June 16, 2008

I got a GREAT rate on this hotel through Priceline, and overall I'd say I still got a good value, but it wouldn't take much for them to really improve this hotel.

I really wanted to love this hotel when I first arrived. Very nice entryway and bar. Walked around and could see the pool (small, volleyball style) and hot tub. Front desk attendant was very nice. Got to my room which had a large foyer, then a huge bedroom with a king size sleep number bed. Separate area with small fridge, microwave, sink, coffee pot, etc. Separate area with closet, bathroom, etc. I was thinking that for the rate I got, I got a steal. But then, reality set in.

My room faced the freeway/airport, which isn't surprising since I was using Priceline. I wasn't expecting a room with an atrium view. And, it was actually surprisingly quiet. As I was washing my hands, I noticed the sink leaking. Not a lot, but enough that the carpet was pretty wet under there. The bathroom was very small, but had shampoo/lotion/conditioner/ etc. However, even though I told them about the leak in the sink, they never sent anyone to fix it over my 2 day stay. It didn't affect my stay, but I'm sure could lead to mildew problems, and floor/ceiling problems. Also, my phone never worked. I couldn't receive calls, or retrieve my voice mail, although I could dial out. Strange. The TV got very limited channels, and had a horrible speaker problem. I paid $12.99 for an in-room movie that I couldn't hear well at all. There was some giant water beetle in the bathroom once, but other than that, it appeared insect-free. (In TX, it could definitely have been worse!)

When they cleaned my room after my first night, they took away my dirty towels, but didn't replace them with new ones. (I had plenty since I was staying alone, but still...) They also didn't replace coffee, shampoo, soap, etc. that was used. Again, I had enough to last my next day (barely), but replacing those things is just always done.

Customer service was less than helpful. They weren't rude... they just couldn't solve anything. Or rather, didn't try. They never sent anyone to fix the leaky sink. Just shrugged and told me they didn't know why my phones weren't working, told me they didn't know what was wrong with my TV, etc. I could have requested another room, but truthfully, I wasn't in it much, and was feeling way too lazy to pack up and move. However, I probably should have.

Also, the bed. I love staying in big comfortable king-size beds when I travel, and the bedding was great and comfortable. However, I had never tried the sleep number bed before, and wouldn't want to again. It was like a glorified air mattress, and you pressed buttons that filled it up with air, or released air, to make it more or less firm. It was difficult to find the right setting, and I never could make the 2 sides match, so it was like 2 separate beds and I couldn't spread all out in the middle like I like to. It wasn't awful. It just wasn't something I'd like to try again.

I paid less than $100 for 2 nights total, so it was a good deal. But, it wouldn't ever be my choice to stay there again. And I'm pretty laid back about stuff... Someone who is pickier than me would have been really unhappy.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed April 10, 2008

I booked this hotel through Priceline as a less expensive alternative to staying in downtown Fort Worth. For two days, I used the TRE rail service from the station that is a few miles from the hotel and one day I commuted. The time is took to drive (30 minutes) or to use commuter rail (60 minutes) was a fair tradeoff, as the Radisson on Priceline cost only a third of what the Hilton in downtown Ft. Worth would cost. The Radisson itself is convenient to the highway but unattractively perched next to some ugly overpasses. The hotel has all the basics: comfortable bed and bedding (even tho I did not get a sleep number room), very spacious room, fridge/microwave, decent bathroom and free internet. The room and property were clean, but clearly worn. For example, there were a number of large black stains on the carpet in the room; the yellowish color scheme seems to reinforce a certain tiredness. The public areas are more industrial than homey.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed March 26, 2008

The hotel was a little hard to get to, but checking in was a problem. The late night staff was rude, and slow! We called ahead to request a double room. Once we got there, we were told that there were no more double rooms available. Needless to say my husband blew a gasket since we had already paid for our room. We were given a suite instead...which was fine. The room was Beautiful and clean. It would have been great if we did not have 2 14 yr old girls with us that needed to get to bed. All that was available to them was a pull out bed. We unfolded the bed, and the sheets looked dirty and slept in. No pillows or extra blankets in the room. We called down and asked for pillows and blankets. They told us it would be around 15 mins. We waited...the front desk then called and told us we needed to check the closet for the pillows and blanket. We told her there was not any there. She then said..."Are you sure?" Like we could miss pillows and blankets and am empty closet? We waited almost 45 minutes before pillows and blankets arrived. My husband went to the front desk to just grab them, and they told him they could not help him, we would have to wait for housekeeping. By the time we got the girls settled and the bed made for them, it was almost 1:00 am. We had to be up by 6:00 am to make it to the soccer game Saturday morning. If you take away all this mess...the hotel was lovely, the indoor pool was nice and clean...(although they had no pool towels there, and when we asked for some..they said they would be right down with them...and guess what? We got out of the pool with no towles ever delivered to the pool area.) If you take out the staff of this hotel, they stay was nice. I might give this hotel another chance if I only paid $40.00 again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2007

This is a beautiful hotel -- my travel plans changed abruptly and I looked them up on the hotel board in the airport. When I called, the front desk person was super friendly and sent the shuttle van right over. The shuttle van driver was also friendly and fun. When I got to the hotel I was greeted by name as I walked into the lobby and invited to "step right over here and we'll get you all taken care of." You have to see the atrium lobby area to believe it -- one of the most beautiful I've seen, and traveling for business I've stayed in hundreds of hotels. The room was huge, with a patio door to a balcony overlooking the 4-story atrium in the middle. I had dinner in the lobby's Atrium Restaurant, where the chicken cream soup was excellent, as was the entree of grilled salmon with lemon sauce, topped off with the best carrot cake I've tasted. The Sleep Number bed was very comfortable as always (a reason I choose Radisson when possible), and even located close to DFW the aircraft noise wasn't disturbing. I regretted not having time for the complimentary full breakfast which no doubt is top-notch, as I had an early flight. All in all, one of the most impressive stays I've had anywhere at any price.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank BusinessTravelerWI
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irving
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, DFW Airport South
Hyatt Regency DFW
#27 of 207 in Dallas
Best Western Irving Inn & Suites at DFW Airport
Best Western Plus DFW Airport Suites

Been to Atrium Hotel & Suites, DFW Airport South? Share your experiences!