“Looks clean, but has myriad condition problems and smells”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Irving North-Las Colinas
Ranked #37 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have stayed there three times over three consecutive weeks, for three days and two nights each. I am working nearby, and this is where my company booked me.

Although the property looks clean, it does not smell clean. Although it is a non-smoking property, it actually smells like a lot of smoking goes on there and the management attempts to cover it up by using strong chemical cleaners. It doesn't help.

On my first visit, I stayed on the fourth floor. It had this really strong stench in the hallways, but it was the worst in the room. And while I was looking forward to swimming after a long day at the office, the pool was surrounded each night by a gaggle of people assembled to smoke. No swimmers, so I felt uncomfortable swimming in that environment.

The next week I asked for a different floor. I was put on 6. The hallway and room smelled much better. However, the sheets had big blue laundry spots (as if they had been stuck next to a blue sock in the washer) and the carpet had a large hand-stitched patch in the middle of the bedroom floor. I got up around 2 am to adjust the fan on the air conditioner, and accidentally hit the "heat" button. The heat came on with a whoosh of exhaust and a burning smell. The room's fire alarm went off. I began to dress, and called the front desk to tell them the alarm was going off. It then stopped. I told the front desk what happened, and the person who answered the phone sounded genuinely puzzled that I would call him to tell him this.

The next week I was put on 6, at my request. Hallway still smells a little, but is much better than 4. I skipped my shower on the first morning, and on my second morning there, upon stepping into the tub and turning on the water, the tub faucet shot off the wall, narrowly missing my legs. The water continued to shoot from the exposed pipe.

I left the hotel shortly thereafter. Instead of waiting in line behind 10 people to talk to the only staffer available, I left the hotel without discussing these problems. I will call them later, because I believe they need to have a chance to respond to these concerns. However, I will not be staying there again.

I cannot recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
David L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Irving North-Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Hello Les W. Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. We will surely use your comments to improve our efforts.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, Irving North-Las Colinas during the Labor Day weekend. In addition to great customer service, clean room, comfortable bed, and plentiful breakfast bar - this property has a great location and easily accessible to business and entertainment in the North Texas region. When visiting Dallas we will stay here again and again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Hello EagleEye2020! Thank you for the review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Irving Convention Center. We're glad to hear that we were able to fulfill all of your needs and that our staff was accommodating. It's our number one goal to ensure everyone's stay is productive and pleasurable! We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed here over Labor Day weekend for my 8 year old's competition and really enjoyed it. The room is very spacious - we had a king bed suite on the 4th floor, and it included a kitchenette area with microwave, sink and frig, no stove. And there is also a small desk, and then another small table with 2 chairs that can be used for dining. The A/C, although a bit loud, worked fine, almost too well, for me, and the temperature reached a high of 104 degrees during my stay. The breakfast was pretty good but the same: biscuits and gravy, sausage, scrambled eggs (I think from mix), frozen french toast for toasting, usual breads, bagels danish, muffins, and juices and cereals.They have apples nicely wrapped in cellophane available in the lobby sitting area all day, and bags of asst'd flavored peanuts at the front desk (but no plain ones). There's coffee and, supposedly, hot chocolate, instant oatmeal and tea in the lobby area at all times, but there was no hot water the couple of times I tried. Fitness room looked cozy but adequate, but I didn't try it. Pool was outside, so that was perfect for us with that temperature! It's a small pool, and although there was a cabinet that looked like there should've been pool towels there, there weren't (but to be fair, I didn't go to the front desk to ask for any, either). But the water was HEAVENLY! Either they have a perfect water heater, or the water was just heated by the sun, but it was very pleasantly warm, and evenly so.

The BEST feature of the hotel is the shuttle. It runs every thirty minutes from the hotel and will take you anywhere within a 5 mile radius, including DFW airport. For that reason, I didn't bother with a car rental on this trip. The drivers are Heather during the day, and Sienna in the evenings, and both are extremely friendly and happily answered my many questions about the Irving area. Also, they will pick you up from the local restaurant, or convention center, or where ever within those 5 miles if you call the front desk, and the wait is never long. The front desk might tell you it will take 30 minutes, but I never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes on the multiple times I used the shuttle. I know one time Sienna cut short her dinner break in order to pick us up quickly. -THANK YOU! I feel badly that you did that when you didn't have to, but I really appreciate your helpfulness!

And for well under $100/night (prepaid), this was such a great value! Should I ever need to return to this area, I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Jeremy R, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Irving North-Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Hi SJWoman and thank you for sharing your experience of the Holiday Inn Express Irving Convention Center! I'm very pleased to know you had such a great stay during a very busy weekend. I'm also glad you were able to take advantage of our many ammenties we offer such as the pool, breakfast, and our shuttle service. I've already passed on your kind words to those particular associates as they too were excited to hear they made such a positive impact for you! We look forward to being your home away from home the next time you're here!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed there this past week for 3 nights. OK hotel but I never sleep well at night as it just plain got stuffy. I set the thermostat at 65 and still got hot. I usually woke up at 3:00 am each day. Don't know what to say it just didn't cool enough. It was hot in Dallas, but the room was located in Dallas and surely was designed for such.. Maybe it has a limit on the compressor on how long it runs.

On the last night at the hotel, the wifi did not work. The breakfast is good, they had biscuits and gravy, eggs and either bacon, link sausage or sausage patties along with juice and danish.

Staff was helpful to me everytime I needed something. Major complaint was with the air conditioner.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear osucowboy1980, though we are pleased that you found the staff helpful and our breakfast met your needs, we are disappointed to hear about the air conditioner issues you had during your stay. I understand it can be frustrating not getting a great nights rest and I'm very sorry for that! We have fixed and addressed the issue with our engineering department. Your friends here at the Holiday Inn Express Irving Convention Center hope to have the chance to serve you again if travels permit you to our area!

Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for business for a week.

The check in was pretty standard

The room was nothing to brag about had a musty smell. Not an outing but just enough to notice. The bath was very basic and 2 towels that were obviously not new or remotely new. Might as well had sandpaper they are so uncomfortable

The breakfast was very basic and cafeteria grade. Same every day no variety

The manager reception at nights was lacking. The wine was already poured in glasses didn't know how long it had say out our who's kids put their fingers in them. The food again was disappointing

The shuttle was the only perk to this hotel as it ran 24 hours and within 5 miles of the hotel. As there is nothing within walking distance

The issue with the shuttle was the average temp during this week was 100+. The shuttle had no working air and was 120+ in the back of the shuttle. We mentioned several times that it didn't work but never was resolved.

Using the shuttle to get to and from our business function in a suit I was ringing with swear by the time we get back. Several people opted to asking others to drive just to avoid the exhausting ride.

Overall this is not a location I would recommend on a return trip to DFW

• Stayed: July 2013
David L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Irving North-Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

On behalf of my staff, we are sorry you were disappointed with our hotel. We hope you visit again to experience the property first hand. We are currently revising our manager's reception menu, and the shuttle a/c issue has been repaired. I do hope you return to our hotel on your next visit to the Las Colinas area, we value your opinions and business and want to share with you all of the improvements we have made.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed here about 1 week ago. I stay at HIE hotels regularly because I usually have such good experiences.

Upon check in the clerk was less than helpful, he had no knowledge of a current $50 promo going on with IHG properties and told me I was wrong because there wasnt such a promotion even though I showed it to him on my phone as long as you stayed two consecutive nights. He then told me he didn't think it applied to that property although it applies to all IHG properties. Then couldn't tell me if the room rate qualified for the promo.

I then asked for a cart to load our luggage on and he said there weren't any. He said they were probably on the floors where other guests had left them and that I could go searching for one if I really needed one that bad.

I finally found a suitable place to park since I was pulling a trailer but the lighting for the parking lot was less than desirable in my opinion unless you were able to park up front.

The room was nothing more than okay and the a/c was NOISY!!!. The bed was very low to the floor and the mattress felt like it was worn out. Bathroom was okay but the cleaning staff certainly seemed to be in a hurry to finish as there was stuff in the corners and a piece of hair in the tub. One of the wash cloths had a stain on it. Towels (2) seemed to be thin and old.

Overall this property was not close to being worth the rate I paid and I expected a lot more than what I got.

I won't ever consider staying at this location again.

Room Tip: choose another property.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
David L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Irving North-Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Hello Scott H. I regret to read about your recent experience at our hotel. All feedback we have received from our customers, including those on Trip Advisor, we take very seriously. There is never an excuse for our failure to respond to your needs while here in our hotel. Please accept my apologies that what you experienced did not meet your standards or our own. Your comments will be reviewed with our management team so we may find ways to make improvements. I truly hope you will consider a future stay so that we may provide you with a stay that you deserve.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Each room is a suite for the most relaxed accommodations away from home. Super layout. Big screen television is visible from both the king-sized bed and the sitting area. Would LOVE to have this bed in my home. Very helpful staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
David L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Irving North-Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you so much for your review of the Holiday Inn Express Las Colinas! I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that you felt our staff and amenities were accommodating to each way you see fit. It's our number one goal to ensure each of our guest's stays are as productive and pleasurable as possible, and I'm glad to hear we hit the mark this time. Your friends at Holiday Inn Express Las Colinas look forward to your return!